Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
thalassogen

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters 1: Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
I suspect thalassogen was just indicating that Monster Hunters 1 was running through a personal printer. :-)
Exactly that! And it looks really good!
thalassogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
lexington

The magic system looks sweet, but complex. I'm going to have to make cheat sheets for it.

I like the wildcard points, too!

Those templates will be very helpful, as always :)
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Now I'm just waiting for Kuroshima to write a new template for Monster Hunters who use imbuments (oh, and the rest of the series).
Well, I have only given it cursory glances. Adding Imbuements should be trivial, and the templates are broader than DF templates, so an Imbuement-focused template might not be in order. Now, a section on how to use Imbuement Skills in Monster Hunters would not be that bad...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I like the wildcard points, too!
A very cool addition, and I think well worth the little extra book keeping.

Also looking forward to MH3 for this (thanks to jalapeno_dude for keeping track of these things!)

Only through the Templates myself in detail, but I really like the Motivational Lenses.

Questions on the 'Buffy' roster (p5), is the 'inhuman/criminal' supposed to be Spike? The rest seem obvious enough, assuming the 'inhuman/accidental hero' is Oz.
Is Spike not an Atoner (similar to, but obviously not the same as, Angel); and how about Faith - Warrior/Criminal-Chosen (?)
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Well, I have only given it cursory glances. Adding Imbuements should be trivial, and the templates are broader than DF templates, so an Imbuement-focused template might not be in order. Now, a section on how to use Imbuement Skills in Monster Hunters would not be that bad...
Do I forsee a Pyramid Article?

Actually I forsee several MH related Pyramid Articles!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
A very cool addition, and I think well worth the little extra book keeping.

Also looking forward to MH3 for this (thanks to jalapeno_dude for keeping track of these things!)
No, the rules I'm referring to in that tweet are what I added in MH1. Specifically, the expansion of wildcard skills from "list" to "concept," the explicit rules about ignoring penalties, and the new bonus card rules. JD seems to have gotten confused about which book they went in. (Do note that he's done a great job of collating all of the rumors, but nobody's perfect!)

Quote:
Questions on the 'Buffy' roster (p5), is the 'inhuman/criminal' supposed to be Spike? The rest seem obvious enough, assuming the 'inhuman/accidental hero' is Oz. Is Spike not an Atoner (similar to, but obviously not the same as, Angel);
Not IMO. Angel is an atoner -- he's obsessed with redemption, in a rather angsty way. Spike became one of the Good Guys, and he means it completely, but he's more-or-less come to peace with his previous actions -- he doesn't care if he's killing demons, vampires, or (truly evil) people, and he does it because it's the right thing to do and because it's fun. When one thinks of good-guy Spike, the concept of "street-smart" comes to mind long before "deep regrets about his past" does -- at least, IMO.

Quote:
and how about Faith - Warrior/Criminal-Chosen (?)
Criminal would be my second choice for her, but I'm of the opinion that every "real" Slayer is stuck with the chosen one lens. After all, she is the one girl who stands against the forces of darkness blah blah . . . speaking as a GM and a BTVS fan, I wouldn't change that call until Season 8 and onward, when "being a Slayer" is no longer such a rare and unique thing.

And for the record, here's my thoughts taking only the show into account:

at least one warrior/chosen one: Buffy, Kendra, and Faith
sage/operative: Giles (when he worked for the Watcher's Council)
witch/accidental hero: Willow (after moving from sidekick to champion a few seasons in)
inhuman/atoner: Angel and Anyanka (when Anya was briefly powered up)
experiment/soldier: Riley Finn
inhuman/accidental hero: Oz
warrior/avenger: Robin Wood
inhuman/criminal: Spike (after moving from NPC Ally to champion near the end)
and some sidekicks: Anya, Cordelia*, Jenny Calendar, Tara, Wesley*, Xander, and the "slayerettes" (up until the last minute, of course).

* Arguable -- in BTVS, these may just be reasonably competent Dependents. In Angel, it's another story, of course.

Note 1: Andrew, Dawn, and Joyce are Dependents at best.

Note 2: Yes, Xander is a sidekick at best. Being "the heart of the team" doesn't cost points in GURPS, sorry. I just figured I'd get this out of the way now before the "Xander is a crucial element of the team!" folks jump in on it. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Note 2: Yes, Xander is a sidekick at best. Being "the heart of the team" doesn't cost points in GURPS, sorry. I just figured I'd get this out of the way now before the "Xander is a crucial element of the team!" folks jump in on it. :)
Ridiculous Luck costs points. He does survive all the time, so clearly he's making all the truly vital skill rolls.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Ridiculous Luck costs points. He does survive all the time, so clearly he's making all the truly vital skill rolls.
Sure, and there's even a sidekick template in MH4 that focuses entirely on luck. You can have lots of Luck for 200 points, and Xander obviously uses the rules on p. 31 extensively. Doesn't make him not a sidekick.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
lexington

Oh, neat, page 63 confirms that follow-up explosions happen inside the target's body. I always assumed that but it's good to know.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
PK

BTW, if anyone here uses the Facebook and wants to "Like" Monster Hunters, you can do so here. Apparently, anything that becomes popular on the Facebook is automatically popular in real life, as the Facebook has taken over real life.

Tags
monster hunters