Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Luck sapper

How would you model this ability?

The character has access to Luck and Super Luck, but only by inflicting Unluckiness or Cursed to people in an area. Essentially, they are "balancing out" the cosmic force of luck by getting a positive after inflicting a negative.

The area would be in the 16 yard/50 foot range and require a minimum of two people. The more people they afflict, however, the longer their good fortune lasts.

Finally, this ability is completely undetectable by normal means (five human senses).
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Luck sapper

Hmm... Affliction(unluckyness) linked to Luck(accessibility:only when others are around)? With an alternate ability for Affliction(cursed) and Super Luck(acces: only when x+ people are around)?

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

I like the concept, Ragitsu. Sounds similar -- though definitely not identical -- to something I posted once. http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=41976 There's something to be said for the Law of Conservation of Luck.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
How would you model this ability?

The character has access to Luck and Super Luck, but only by inflicting Unluckiness or Cursed to people in an area. Essentially, they are "balancing out" the cosmic force of luck by getting a positive after inflicting a negative.

The area would be in the 16 yard/50 foot range and require a minimum of two people. The more people they afflict, however, the longer their good fortune lasts.

Finally, this ability is completely undetectable by normal means (five human senses).
If encountering people who have Luck or Super Luck, should that get sapped first? Almost seems like it would be worthwhile coming up with a new (Cosmic?) enhancement for Leech to make it work for things other than attributes instead of going for the Affliction + Luck combo everybody's going to suggest. Actually, stealing Luck (even though it can involve Afflicting disadvantages) doesn't seem any more advantageous than Steal IQ or Steal Youth, and with Steal Youth there's even some precedent for gaining something other than HP yourself. The other parallel is Neutralize with Power Theft and One Ability, although that too requires a new Cosmic enhancement in order to gain Luck that has no Power Modifier.

I find it weird upon rereading Leech in Powers that there's no simple way to just drain ST directly to ST, IQ directly to IQ, etc., but you have to buy the higher attributes with a Trigger... perhaps the same would apply to Steal Luck.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Ragitsu
Banned

I did not even consider what would happen if the character runs into NPCs with Luck/Super Luck already. Very interesting!

I would most certainly think the character in question has the Secret Disadvantage, or Social Stigma or even Enemies!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
I did not even consider what would happen if the character runs into NPCs with Luck/Super Luck already. Very interesting!

I would most certainly think the character in question has the Secret Disadvantage, or Social Stigma or even Enemies!
Is it uncontrollable then?

Semper Fi
Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Ragitsu
Banned

No, but if they get observed enough, some people will start to put two and two together. If enough people do this, it could turn into a full blown Disadvantage for that character. Whether they believe it as superstition, have bad vibes, think of magic or know it to be a super power barely matters, as long as most people steer clear.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
No, but if they get observed enough, some people will start to put two and two together. If enough people do this, it could turn into a full blown Disadvantage for that character. Whether they believe it as superstition, have bad vibes, think of magic or know it to be a super power barely matters, as long as most people steer clear.
I suppose. Secret that translates to a minor negative rep, if discovered.

Semper Fi
Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Ragitsu
Banned

Then again, if they're inflicting Cursed (and we all know how bad that can be!) it could even mean Secret (Death). TL is probably also a factor.

Tags
advantage, cursed, disadvantage, luck, unluckiness