Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 12-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #11
stefanj

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Amazing news! IT'S A BOXING DAY MIRACLE!

I was wondering if the 35 year rule was responsible for this boon.

Melee was one of the few games I played with high school friends. Clean and compact and playable.

I remember playing a play-by-postal-mail game with someone in the early 80s. Lots of shadow casting as I recall.

I actually had a couple-three TFT articles published. I believe they were in Metagaming's short-lived post-Space Gamer zine. A little adventure that I also drew illustrations for!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Deimos

Congratulations and hooray!!

I have many fond memories of playing Melee and Wizard back in the day when I was in junior high. I'm looking forward to them being re-released as they were or spruced up and released anew. Or both!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #13
akfu

This is great news! Here's my unsolicited, amateur, armchair QB opinions on the matter:

1. The booklet style books (i.e. Advanced Melee/Wizard, In the Labyrinth) should go into POD release as soon as possible

2. There should be a kickstarter to release versions of the MicroGame / MicroQuest in a classic-yet-updated version a-la Ogre Pocket Edition

The above would seem to me to be a good way to balance getting the games back out there while addressing any entirely understandable concerns SJG might have about costs & profitability etc
Old 12-26-2017, 08:34 AM   #14
Mack_JB

I went online and read the relevant Code (17 U.S. Code § 203) that someone above quoted. It won't be as simple as just re-printing the books, or going to POD -- SJ acquired the rights to the game, but likely not any of the artworks or implementations of them.

But, it's step one in the right direction, and having the right to do something is the first major hurdle.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #15
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Please don't ask us legal questions or speculate about what rights we may or may not have. We'll make any relevant announcements when the time is right.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #16
afschell

Some of the best news all year!! Now, if only I can find my copies that I have packed away somewhere.
afschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #17
andreww

Wow!

Good thing I still have all my old character sheets!

Congratulations!

I have a lot of fond memories of TFT, that was the mainstay of our roleplaying back when the space shuttle was brand new. TFT is just the the kind of fantasy RPG I would like to spend some time with: simple enough that anyone can drop in but still with a tactical element.

I want to know the story, but I know I'm not going to get it.

The perennial question will be: republish the original or update it. Either way someone gripes. I though SJ Games had cut that Gordian Knot with Car Wars by doing both, but there were still some gripers, which tells you something about us humans. As with Car Wars I will play both if I get them. The system works great as is, but I wouldn't mind learning more about Yrth.

Great news, I can't wait for the Kickstarter Announcement!
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #18
Refplace

Congratulations!
While I have moved on to GURPS as my favorite system the old TFT stuff was a great game in its day.
I enjoyed the solo adventures and that it was so simple I could play, possibly with a few friends over lunch.
Those Pocket Adventures might still be a fun intro to RPGs for new people.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #19
Kobold Curry Chef

When I read this, I exclaimed in a long series of unprintable words. At first, my wife thought something had gone horribly wrong, so I had to explain that my reaction was a mix of disbelief and joy over news that I honestly thought I would never see in my lifetime.

I still have the original Melee and Wizard, and I think those have to be dusted off soon in celebration.

Cannot wait to see the long-awaited, triumphant return of THE FANTASY TRIP.
Kobold Curry Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #20
JLV

This is simply fantastic news!! Happy 2018, indeed! TFT is STILL my favorite RPG of all time, and the one that I play almost exclusively (other than Call of Cthulhu, which, come to think of it, was published at roughly the same time). I much prefer it to GURPS, frankly, even with some of the wonky issues that TFT has!

I sincerely hope that we will see a TFT Designer's edition one of these days; maybe via Kickstarter -- with loads of carboard heroes and battlemaps as well as all the books.

I'm sure Steve will tinker with it some in order to get it to where he originally wanted it to be back in the day; but it is still, after almost 40 years, a very fun, very playable game with a very loyal fan following out there!

Congrats Steve!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote