Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2017, 04:02 AM   #1
Jaware

Default Need help with some stuff with Ritual/Path magic.

As the title suggests, I'd like some help with the Ritual/Path magic. Namely the one in monster hunters 1.

I like the way this system works. I think. But there are some things that I don't quite understand...

For example. Say the regular magic spell, pain. It's resisted by an HT roll.

How is this done in Ritual/Path? I don't remember seeing anything in there anywhere...

Also how does the modifiers work? Do you use all applicable modifiers? Or do you only use the ones that you want to use? I am confused.

I would also like some examples. Preferably starting simple, and working to more complicated that way I can try and reverse engineer how it works.

Like for instance, a group heal for anyone within say 3 yards for say 2d HP. What modifiers would you use. Would you use the one referring to weight?

I don't understand at all even where to begin.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Need help with some stuff with Ritual/Path magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
Like for instance, a group heal for anyone within say 3 yards for say 2d HP. What modifiers would you use. Would you use the one referring to weight?
Things may have changed a bit since MH1 (Ritual Path Magic - RPM - now has its own book that, as I understand it, goes into more depth than the original system as presented in MH1 - I have the RPM book, but nothing from the MH line), but in this case:

Lesser* Restore Body (4) + Healing, 2d (4) + Area Effect, 3 yard radius (3) + Subject Weight, 300 lb (3). Total energy is 14.

For Subject Weight, this is needed any time you are directly affecting someone's body or a physical object, but not otherwise. With Area Effect, you only need to pay for the Subject Weight of the heaviest target - the above spell will affect anyone within 3 yards that weighs 300 lb or less. If you don't want to heal enemies in the area, you'll need to pay extra energy to make an exception.

A thread that may help you is here, where people post worked-out RPM rituals for help/discussion. That should give you a good idea on how RPM rituals are designed, and how they work.

*Lesser/Greater is determined based on how much HP is restored, and 2d falls under the threshold at TL8. Personally, as an area effect is much more world-bending than a single target - the latter is basically just ultra-quick First Aid - I'd increase this to Greater, but that's a decision for the GM. If you agree that this should be Greater, the above spell instead costs 42 energy, due to the x3 multiplier for having a single Greater Effect.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Quote:
Do you use all applicable modifiers? Or do you only use the ones that you want to use?
The two are the same thing. The modifiers you want to use to get your desired effect are the ones that are applicable.

That is, they're part of a spell design system. If you want to have an Area Effect, Range further than touch, Duration longer than instantaneous, affect large objects (Weight), etc., then you need to pay for the appropriate modifiers to match your desired effect. RPM does _not_ start with the spells in GURPS Magic as a default baseline that you then change with the modifiers. In this sense, it's its own system. The "default" values for the modifiers don't come from Magic spells. They're the 0-point values in the table (Momentary duration, 10 lbs weight, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM p15
Every spell must be defined clearly; e.g., “Using Lesser Strengthen Mind, everyone within four yards of me at the time that I cast the spell will gain Per+2 for the next hour.” That definition includes the spell effect (Lesser Strengthen Mind) and all of the applicable modifiers (Area of Effect, Range, Altered Traits, and Duration).
The energy requirement for a ritual depends on the spell effect(s) and any applicable modifiers.
To create a spell similar to Magic's Pain, I'd use Lesser Control Body and Bestows a Penalty (-3) to a Broad range of skills. The Magic spell affects the subject for the next second. I'm willing to count that as "instantaneous", since the next level up is "10 minutes". Control Body is specifically noted as being appropriate for "irritating or incapacitating conditions".

Lesser or Greater depends on how natural and believable the result is. The split here is really dependent on your setting and genre. RPM was originally created for Monster Hunters, so it's most at home in a secret magic wainscot setting. Thus, RPM rules put some emphasis on subtle magic that could have been normal, as opposed to flashy magic that's clearly not normal (fireballs). It's reminiscent of Mage: the Ascension and that setting's distinction between "coincidental" and "vulgar" magic. If you're using RPM in a D&D game, you might be throwing flashy magic around all the time. And depending on what the GM wants, that might not even be Greater magic because "magic is natural; everybody does it". (Though at some point balance starts to demand that those fireballs cost a lot of energy.)

The RPM book has a grimoire of 50+ example spells (p38 - 51). There have been a number of past threads collecting RPM rituals, or debating which path(s) and Lesser/Greater should apply to build particular spell effects.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
As the title suggests, I'd like some help with the Ritual/Path magic. Namely the one in monster hunters 1.
Pro Tip: It's "Ritual Path Magic" Ritual/Path magic could be contrived as Path/Book magic (which it is often conflated for.

Quote:
For example. Say the regular magic spell, pain. It's resisted by an HT roll.

How is this done in Ritual/Path? I don't remember seeing anything in there anywhere...
It's resisted with the higher of HT or Will.

Quote:
Also how does the modifiers work? Do you use all applicable modifiers? Or do you only use the ones that you want to use? I am confused.
You only add modifiers you need and some spells don't need them.

Quote:
I would also like some examples. Preferably starting simple, and working to more complicated that way I can try and reverse engineer how it works.
Again, see my blog. I have a lot of spells there.

Quote:
You'd need Healing, Subject Weight (the highest weight of any subject affected, not the combined weight), and Area Effect. Plus a Restore effect with an appropriate Path (e.g., Restore Body for a group of humans).

Quote:
I don't understand at all even where to begin.
If you go to my blog and look at the ritual path magic tag you'll find a LOT of entries that may be helpful.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
Jaware

Alight friends. I went and bought the book. I've read it pretty much over to cover and I love it.

I only have two questions.

My concern is is there a way to make the recipient of the spell resist at a lower number? Perhaps by paying more energy into the spell? I'm not quite sure if I skipped it, but I don't think I did. Any thoughts?

My next question, is how does one raise their effective path skill with the limit above 12? I know Margery and such raises it. But how does one cast at say a 14 or a 15 without investing 100+cp into the various base skill+Margery?

For example, it'd be nice to be able to make mana batteries, and charms, and elixirs at a decent skill level along with combat fireballs at a 15 etc.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
DeathDaisy

Quote:
Alight friends. I went and bought the book. I've read it pretty much over to cover and I love it.

I only have two questions.

My concern is is there a way to make the recipient of the spell resist at a lower number? Perhaps by paying more energy into the spell? I'm not quite sure if I skipped it, but I don't think I did. Any thoughts?
IIRC, you can use the Bestow a Penalty modifier to lower their resistance roll.

Quote:
My next question, is how does one raise their effective path skill with the limit above 12? I know Margery and such raises it. But how does one cast at say a 14 or a 15 without investing 100+cp into the various base skill+Margery?

For example, it'd be nice to be able to make mana batteries, and charms, and elixirs at a decent skill level along with combat fireballs at a 15 etc.
I don't think you can get a default over 12 without investing the points. Without training and advantages, you won't be throwing any fireballs without considerable risk and time investment to create charms, what with all the penalties. An effective mage needs the skills and advantages, probably for balance reasons. Grimoires and such can sometimes act as "batteries", but can't be a substitute for real training and talent, I'd say.
DeathDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Mathulhu

It costs 18 points to raise one Path skill one level. This assumes you have spent 4 points in each of Thaumatology and the Path skill.
Those 18 points get you one rank in each of Thaumatology and the Path skill and one level of Magery.

If you want to increase all of you Path skills it's cheaper to buy IQ and Magery for 30 points.

My counter question would be how much should it cost? Given the huge range of effects that can be achieved with even a single Path it seems appropriately costed. In my experience RPM mages are amazingly effective, sometimes even disruptively so.

There is also equipment and Perks that are spell specific that can be bought for an even more focused spell caster.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
Anaraxes

The RPM skills and Advantages are meant to soak points. There's no point cost for individual spells, after all. So compare to the costs of a set of superpowers or a Modular Ability.

(Also helps to remember that MH was designed as a 400-point game. An RPM mage might not scale down to 250 or 150 or 100 points and still seem like a kick-ass generalist. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; just depends on your game.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
(Also helps to remember that MH was designed as a 400-point game. An RPM mage might not scale down to 250 or 150 or 100 points and still seem like a kick-ass generalist. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; just depends on your game.)
250 works adequately, but it's tight and he isn't anywhere as broadly skilled outside of Ritual Magic.

I ran a bit of a 250 point fantasy game with RPM and Powers as Magic, and they felt solid next to each other... with PaM feeling a little under powered, so the PaM character was beefed up a bit after a few sessions (Three characters, one RPM only, one PaM only, one a mix of RPM and PaM. The pure PaM character ended up over 300 points).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
250 works adequately, but it's tight and he isn't anywhere as broadly skilled outside of Ritual Magic.

I ran a bit of a 250 point fantasy game with RPM and Powers as Magic, and they felt solid next to each other... with PaM feeling a little under powered, so the PaM character was beefed up a bit after a few sessions (Three characters, one RPM only, one PaM only, one a mix of RPM and PaM. The pure PaM character ended up over 300 points).
I'm running a Cabal game where Outer Circle members tick in at about 200 points. It means if you want to really get any powerful effects, you need to really stack the Decanic modifiers... which works quite well for the kind of magic Cabal is supposed to have. (Middle and Inner Circle mages, of course, have a bit more oomph.)
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, monster hunters, path, ritual, ritual path magic