Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
jovos

Default Outtimer Refugees what exactly does infinity do with them

Also how does infinity relocate them
jovos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Outtimer Refugees what exactly does infinity do with them

More information needed. Is this a case of a bunch of people getting banestormed to some other timeline? Trying to rescue the population of a dying timeline (one on the path to becoming a Hell World, say)? Individual outtimers Infinity runs across?

In case of a large group that Infinity decides to relocate, I'd imagine they first headhunt them for useful individuals (world jumpers, potential ISWAT recruits, etc), then do on-site quarantine before bringing them briefly to Homeline and then sending them off to some previously-uninhabited "refugee camp" timeline to cultivate. For individual outtimers, the process would be similar - determine if they are of use as agents, and if not try to place them in a culturally-similar refugee camp. In either case, if dangerous individuals are identified they're probably either executed or sent to Coventry.

In general, however, I'd expect them not to even do the whole refugee thing - too much risk of the Secret getting released.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
In case of a large group that Infinity decides to relocate, I'd imagine they first headhunt them for useful individuals (world jumpers, potential ISWAT recruits, etc), then do on-site quarantine before bringing them briefly to Homeline and then sending them off to some previously-uninhabited "refugee camp" timeline to cultivate.
The source for this, Piper's Paratime Secret, certainly works this way, people are translated to 5th level timelines and used as a labor source to produce stuff for First Level civilization, though some of them, or their descendants, may eventually get to First Level as slaves^x indentured servants. But Paratimers don't bother to camouflage their evil exploitive nature as much as Infinity likes to.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
The source for this, Piper's Paratime Secret, certainly works this way, people are translated to 5th level timelines and used as a labor source to produce stuff for First Level civilization, though some of them, or their descendants, may eventually get to First Level as slaves^x indentured servants. But Paratimers don't bother to camouflage their evil exploitive nature as much as Infinity likes to.
I was thinking of it more in lines of "They are given their own land to cultivate and rebuild a civilization, and trade favorably with Infinity" than slave labor, but I can easily see how it could get corrupted into the latter. In Stargate: Atlantis, the first culture they reach through the Stargate ends up getting a deal like this (complete with the headhunting for a useful agent, even, although that part isn't as blatant) after their homeworld is overrun, and I sort of had that in the back of my mind while writing the post.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Capitalistic slavery probably. Here's all this lovely land you know nothing about. If you need something just contact our outpost with conveyor. They'll sell it at a very "reasonable" price.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
fchase8

In canon material, Infinity seems to have only done one 'mass relocation' operation, and that was through Miracle Workers. That would seem like the 'pilot project', so probably treated well, if patronizingly, with enough resources dedicated to the task, but differing ideas about how best to get it done.

There is Israel's 'Alternaty Exodus', where imperiled Jewish populations (up to the size of a medieval town) get brought to Homeline Israel, but that is very controversial, even illegal.

Other than those two cases, I don't think Infinity/Homeline has done mass relocation operations. Infinity and other Homeline actors just don't have the resources, mostly don't have the manpower, for such an endeavor.

I don't know how Infinity/Homeline handles individual refugees. There is probably a 'sponsorship' type program for outtimers recruited for their talents, like a parachronic version of the H1 visa program.

For humanitarian refugees, perhaps Infinity requires similar charity sponsorship, like the recent real world Canadian program for refugees - "If you can support this refugee, then they can stay." Though I bet most Homeline nations still have tight parachronic immigration programs.

However, Centrum might be more up for it. If done not for humanitarian reasons but to increase the power of Centrum, Interworld & Uplift might relocate a whole population. Centrum would be more sympathetic to a post-apocalyptic timeline (having endured their own Last War), but also know what such survivors can accomplish (look what The Centrum did).

This would be more like capitalistic indentured servitude, along the lines of how Centrum recruits other indentured outworlders, to increase Centrum manpower. It would be less kind, without such noble intentions, as Infinity/Homeline, but more organized and reliable.

Centrum would expect that all such refugees would be eternally grateful to their Centran saviors, as that's how the survivors of The Last War were to The Centrum (or at least that's how it's taught in Centran schools), and regular indentureds are usually grateful (but they're recruited individually to be so). Centran agents would be very surprised to find survivors resistant to their 'saviors'.

Centrum would pick the most suitable post-apocalyptic refugee timeline to 'save' - though that could just be, "The one that most speaks English."
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Dr. Beckenstein

IMIWU, most of them are resettled on Coventry to life a peacefull TL 5 life. Interested and gifted recruits can work for the patrol or another branch of Infinity. Homeline has a small population of out-time immigrants.

The "difficult" cases are sent to Coventry's Australia. The south-east is a POW camp for captured Centrum personnel, where every toilet seat is wired. And in the middle of the desert is a Supermax prison for criminals, psychopaths and "very special guests".
Dr. Beckenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Please do not use australia for this.

Australia is home ground for Centrum. Its were their capital is, and its where their best and oldest infrastructure is. North ameria is infinities' home turf, Australia is centrum's. I don't care if coventry is on Q3, you do not stick your most sensitive prisoners there.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
fchase8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Please do not use australia for this.

Australia is home ground for Centrum. Its were their capital is, and its where their best and oldest infrastructure is. North ameria is infinities' home turf, Australia is centrum's. I don't care if coventry is on Q3, you do not stick your most sensitive prisoners there.
Does Infinity know that The Centrum began in Australia?

This could be a neat case of Infinity misreading the people of another timeline, as opposed to the usual case in games, where it is Centrum.

Any prison island for Centrans & difficult cases would probably be on a small island, as there wouldn't be that many to house, and that would make escape more difficult. In Australia, there would be lots of wild territory to hide in, but Pitcairn Island?
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
More importantly it's ridiculously big for a prison, and in the long run full of valuable stuff you'd eventually want to develop. The point of a prison island is after all to make escape pointless by offering few places to hide and no other communities to run to, and Australia doesn't do that. The world has plenty of islands you aren't going to swim away from (and if they have a boat there's no such thing as an isolated island, people have single handed small boats across oceans). Use one of them. Tristan da Cunha is perhaps the most isolated, but honestly anything would work. Given you might like to have someplace you can get easy access to on Homeline, I suggest someplace with an airport - Bermuda or Okinawa or Madeiras if you insist on sort of isolated, but really a dozen miles of water is plenty far enough to discourage swimming and there must be dozens of islands that far from anything that are already government controlled but not hard to get to with the right authorizations (just to pick one, San Clemente Island, 40 km from the next Channel Island, controlled by the US Navy, less than 2 hours from Los Angeles). For that matter, given the probably small number of Centrum prisoners, you don't really even need that much. You could probably even use Alcatraz.

Tags
infinite worlds