Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Jaware

Default Re: I have a query about imbuements. Of the Defensive kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
If you want to use it with both easily, you need to buy both Shield and Armor specialities, yes. Note that they default to each other at -4, so if you have Energizing Defense (Shield) at 15, you effectively have Energizing Defense (Armor) at 11.
... I see. It seems to me that that makes energized defense exxxtttrrreeemmmlllyyyy expensive point cost.

Quote:
Separate pools, yes, and with caps that depend on how much skill you have in the relevant speciality. You should be able to use Energizing Defense (Shield) to block an attack and then, if it still does enough damage to completely destroy the shield, use Energizing Defense (Armor) to try to block however many more damage remains.
How do the pools work? Say your shield has a cap Cp of 10. And then your armor one is cap CP of 6. Does it drain 1 cp from them each? And advantages bleed out the same way? On top of say 5 points in both, but you can't buy strength because there's not 10 cp.

Quote:
Yes, Defensive Imbuements follow the general rules for Imbuements, which let you roll at -5 to ignore the FP cost
That's what i thought.

Quote:
If you're activating a Defensive Imbuement in response to an attack, then the roll is against the standard number for defenses, 1/2 skill +3 +1 for Combat Reflexes (and I'd allow Enhanced Defense (Single Imbuement Skill) for 5 points per level, or (All Imbuement Skills) for 10 points/level). If you anticipate being attacked, you can activate a Defensive Imbuement on your own turn, with a straight skill roll.
That is what I thought as well.

Quote:
Energizing Defense is based on the Absorption enhancement for Damage Resistance. Of course, Absorption also doesn't specify when the points can be used, but I'm inclined to say that using them is a free action that can be done even on someone else's turn. On the other hand, that's a lot of potential rolls against Energizing Defense, so I'd suggest limiting the player to only rolling to assign the points immediately after they've been hit, or on their own turn.
that's what I was going to do. With the exception of hp and fp. I was gonna let that just like you said.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fanasy, imbuements, powers, pyramid, pyramid 3/36