Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #61
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Armor for points, not money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
48 points in Wealth is almost enough to get Filthy Rich, which gives 100 times the average starting wealth. Depending on the setting, there might very well be gear that is far more expensive than that.
Wealth, as had been said many times, isn't primarily about the starting wealth, but rather a social advantage representing good credit and general economic privilege. Being Filthy Rich and having the job income and other follow-on effects is generally considered to be of more significant utility than just having one nice thing.

Quote:
Sure, if you can actually get gear of unlimited value from such a Patron
Again, not unlimited value. The selection of items that it actually makes sense to take as Signature Gear for most adventure games is generally considerably limited to things like survival gear, personal weapons and body armor, and vehicles.
Quote:
(though even in that case you might want to increase the point cost by slightly more than 50% since you might not have full control over what kind of gear your Patron gives you).
I'm assuming that the sword you inherited from your father or the spaceship you won in a card game is as much the GMs prerogative to assign as if these things that had been granted by a Patron instead, as in any case the PC doesn't get to choose these things; if not I believe there's a modifier for Allies that would work here.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-25-2016 at 07:05 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #62
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Wealth, as had been said many times, isn't primarily about the starting wealth, but rather a social advantage representing good credit and general economic privilege. Being Filthy Rich and having the job income and other follow-on effects is generally considered to be of more significant utility than just having one nice thing.
Gurps Wealth includes everything that could be considered money related, even free Status as an optional suggestion. And there's that pesky, but realistic, 20/80% split between what you have now and tied up in lifestyle infrastructure. That's the real killer for my character. I want well off with some contacts etc. to explain his uber-gear, but not Prince Richie Rich with all the hassle that kind of pedigree includes.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #63
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Gurps Wealth includes everything that could be considered money related, even free Status as an optional suggestion. And there's that pesky, but realistic, 20/80% split between what you have now and tied up in lifestyle infrastructure. That's the real killer for my character. I want well off with some contacts etc. to explain his uber-gear, but not Prince Richie Rich with all the hassle that kind of pedigree includes.
Yes, I understand this. This is why I am saying that Patron costs can suggest an upper bound on Signature Gear. Just say it is the armor you won in your famous victory in the midsummer tournament (or whatever) and pay [16] points, then have the GM assign you whatever he thinks is appropriate worth between $1,000 and $1 million; you can even look at the fact that people are going to want to win it off of you as a balancing feature!
Old 08-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #64
Kalzazz

I've kinda by default when I'm musing things as a DM to assume that Joe Generic random knight has somewhere between Filthy Rich and Multimillionaire 1 so he can afford to be nicely but not uberly kitted out on 20% of moneys
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #65
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I've kinda by default when I'm musing things as a DM to assume that Joe Generic random knight has somewhere between Filthy Rich and Multimillionaire 1 so he can afford to be nicely but not uberly kitted out on 20% of moneys
That's probably realistic, for late medieval and renaissance anyway. Earlier periods probably had more knights with Patrons and less good stuff. It doesn't fit all settings. Try to make the character in GRRM's The Hedge Knight for example.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #66
Kalzazz

My new character I'm working on based on this thread will start with a nifty sword somewhere in the 464k retail range, by taking multimillionaire 1 and Signature Asset

Signature Asset requires that the item be large (at least SM+2) and expensive. So its a SM +2 great sword stacked with all the good stuff, thus being both large and expensive!

Admittedly almost all the characters points are being spent on owning and being able to wield this monster!

Also the character is a well off member of society, not a broke farm kid like Rand
Old 08-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #67
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yes, I understand this. This is why I am saying that Patron costs can suggest an upper bound on Signature Gear. Just say it is the armor you won in your famous victory in the midsummer tournament (or whatever) and pay [16] points, then have the GM assign you whatever he thinks is appropriate worth between $1,000 and $1 million; you can even look at the fact that people are going to want to win it off of you as a balancing feature!
Am I not clear in the fact that I agree with you and like your suggestions?
Old 08-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #68
Kalzazz

shieldbunny upon viewing this thread has decided to make a character

Said character bought a signature gear very fine, balanced, tempered glass katana which was carefully noted on the character sheet as 'Sir Pudding Santa Claus Sig Gear' for 16 points

We will see whether anything breaks horribly!
Old 08-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #69
evileeyore
Banned

The more I turn this over in my head the more I come back to my general bottom line philosophy:

Reduce the question to the simplest points and answer them:

1 - What is it you are trying to get?
In this case really high DR.

2 - What is the simplest manner to do so in the most straight forward manner?
In this case buy DR with Gadget Limitations.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, breakable, character points, damage resistance