Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Old 01-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
RispyCrisp

Default Some questions I haven't been able to find the answers to

Hello, all. I'd like to collect this game and play it casually. I'm planning on buying the three starter sets. After that, at least for the first two years, I'll only buy one booster pack a week or so, so my collection would grow quite slowly but steady. How long will these cards stay in print? I know there are two expansions coming as well, but the launch set of cards would stay in print for quite a while, right?

Also, how many different cards will there be? And how do you recognise the rarity of a card?
RispyCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Some questions I haven't been able to find the answers to

The initial wave of cards will probably be in print for several months. However, we don't intend to keep them in print forever, and I don't expect expansions to hang around, either.

The core release has about 300 cards; the first two expansions are a little more than 120. Rarity is denoted by a letter following the card number: C for common, U for uncommon, and so on. We'll have more comprehensive information about rarities in this game when the release is closer.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
RispyCrisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The initial wave of cards will probably be in print for several months. However, we don't intend to keep them in print forever, and I don't expect expansions to hang around, either.

The core release has about 300 cards; the first two expansions are a little more than 120. Rarity is denoted by a letter following the card number: C for common, U for uncommon, and so on. We'll have more comprehensive information about rarities in this game when the release is closer.
Thank you for the answers. I get that you wouldn't want cards to stay in print forever. But with the deck limit of cards being three, isn't it basically impossible to get a full collection, even if buying many, many booster packs?
RispyCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RispyCrisp View Post
But with the deck limit of cards being three, isn't it basically impossible to get a full collection, even if buying many, many booster packs?
Not impossible, merely challenging.

And for gameplay purposes, the game is highly competitive using only common and uncommon cards. Some of the rares are good, but none are vital. And the extreme rarity cards are _not_ high-powered cards. Those extremely rare cards are more silly and fun, as well as alternate art, and not necessary to competitive play.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
Bithlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Not impossible, merely challenging.

And for gameplay purposes, the game is highly competitive using only common and uncommon cards. Some of the rares are good, but none are vital. And the extreme rarity cards are _not_ high-powered cards. Those extremely rare cards are more silly and fun, as well as alternate art, and not necessary to competitive play.
1) Not challenging at all. Expensive. There's no challenge involved in collecting the sets beyond opening your wallet.

2) I'm not going to believe the "highly competitive using only common and uncommon cards" hype until I actually play the game, and see it for my two eyes. This is an industry where a major company like fantasy flight can say "you can build a competitive deck using only two core sets" and what they are actually saying is "it's not possible to build a tournament legal deck without buying two core sets".

the proof, as they say, is in the pudding.
Bithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
2) I'm not going to believe the "highly competitive using only common and uncommon cards" hype until I actually play the game, and see it for my two eyes.
I hope we'll see you at one of our prerelease events this weekend, then!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
1) Not challenging at all. Expensive. There's no challenge involved in collecting the sets beyond opening your wallet.
Keep in mind that many of the rarest cards are alternate art cards. There are easier-to-find versions mixed throughout the packs.

Quote:
2) I'm not going to believe the "highly competitive using only common and uncommon cards" hype until I actually play the game, and see it for my two eyes.
One more month. Unfortunately, we're already dealing with the issue of allocations because demand is way higher than supply. We have a second printing coming in mid-March, but the first three or four months may be scarce on cards as we get a handle on things and a better feeling for the true demand.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RispyCrisp View Post
And how do you recognise the rarity of a card?
You can see sample cards here. Check the bottom of the card for the number and rarity of that card.

http://munchkinccg.game/news/2017/no...structed-deck/