Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
larsdangly

Default At last, my personal equipment house rules

Below you will find a google.docs link to a pdf file containing my house rules for expanded personal equipment (mostly weapons, armor and shields). There is quite a bit here (which is why it took me a while to fully edit and assemble it all!). This is a draft version on which I'd like to get comments for revisions before I insert artwork and make generally available. I have no intention to sell this in any format, but if someone wants to re-use parts or all of it in a more formal product please let me know and we'll figure out a way to get whatever rights are involved transferred as needed. I don't believe I've stepped on any copyright toes (though perhaps I need to remove the word 'Cidri'? Not important to the document but it just occurs to me that I do use it several places...).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wg5...ew?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: At last, my personal equipment house rules

Note I've already spotted some print formatting problems with the column width on the tables - I'll sort that out and post an update soon!
Old 09-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
hcobb

Evil Stevie was on the light end of things to assign 14 pounds of weight to cloth armor, especially if this included any protection for the hands or face.

An arming doublet would be the same, but with about a fifth of a pound of iron or steel for rings and such to attach plate armor on top of. So when your wizard takes off his ordinary plate armor and relies on the one point protection of the padding he still has the iron penalty to spell casting.

Everywhere you see "Leather Armor" just cross this out and replace with "Heavy Gambeson".

I'd like to see exotic fantasy armor types like say Naga Hyde.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
larsdangly

I decided early on that I would keep things consistent with official rules as far as I could, so I didn't try to adjust relatively unimportant things like item weights. I'm not trying to offer an alternative version of existing gear - just additions that are consistent with existing gear.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
TippetsTX

This is great, very thorough. Did you update to reflect changes in the LE rules (I noticed you referenced the old Farming talent)?
Old 09-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
larsdangly

Thanks. Good catch! That should read 'Farmer' (the 1 pt Mundane talent, still in the game). This is the sort of thing I was hoping people would catch on reading the draft. More generally, I made an effort to update to the content of the LE, but I imagine there are some small errors, as the 'heritage' of must of this stretches back 20 years or more.

Actually, I just double checked and it always says 'Farmer'. That is a talent in the Legacy Edition (IQ 8, 1 pt Mundane talent).
Old 09-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
TippetsTX

Question... I noticed you broke SLING out as a stand-alone talent, which I agree is the right move, but does that make BOW a 1-point talent?

(I'm leaning towards doing this in my own game. In fact, I want to eliminate 2-point base weapon talents entirely.)
Old 09-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
larsdangly

It didn't occur to me to drop bow to 1; I guess I figure it is more important to stick to the idea that the core talents and equipment change as little as possible. You could argue the 1 vs. 2 point case either way, so I figure why not leave it.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #9
Helborn

Very nice addition. Thank you
Old 09-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #10
Axly Suregrip

Hi larsdangly,
Very nice work. Although I don't agree with 1 point job skills replacing 2 point weapon talents. For example, Mining or Farming being as good as Axe/Mace skill.

The way a farmer swings axe or threshing flail is not the same kind of swing that is used in combat. Striking a log or grain only require that you swing efficiently and with power. Striking a combatant also requires speed and that you do not telegraph (make your foe aware of where you will strike) your blow.

Maybe without the full combat talent they get -2 instead of -4 DX.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote