Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #21
Helborn

Default Re: Question abut when a main gauche attack occurs in the round

I have always played the the Dodge and Defend options are not declared until someone attacks you or you have to act. If you have a higher AdjDX then either delay or declare. If your AdjDX is in the middle, then if the higher AdjDX attacks you, declare then and you're stuck with it for the rest of the Turn. If no one else wants to attack you, your goal is achieved.

BTW - I forced any character delaying an action to wait until all others acted except when the character specified he was waiting for a specific action from his side - e.g. AID from a lower DX Char. Then he would go immediately after the awaited action had occurred. However, he was only allowed to specify actions from his own side, there was no "overwatch" for enemy activity. If you wanted to wait and see what the opposing Wizard cast, then you waited until everyone else had gone before you acted. This also prevented the "I'm waiting for B to act" "No, I'm waiting for A to act.", etc.

Last edited by Helborn; 05-02-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Helborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #22
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
I have always played the the Dodge and Defend options are not declared until someone attacks you or you have to act.
Yes, this is/was my groups's interpretations of the rules as well.

Last edited by RobW; 05-03-2019 at 07:21 AM.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #23
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
BTW - I forced any character delaying an action to wait until all others acted except when the character specified he was waiting for a specific action from his side - e.g. AID from a lower DX Char. Then he would go immediately after the awaited action had occurred. However, he was only allowed to specify actions from his own side, there was no "overwatch" for enemy activity. If you wanted to wait and see what the opposing Wizard cast, then you waited until everyone else had gone before you acted. This also prevented the "I'm waiting for B to act" "No, I'm waiting for A to act.", etc.
"No I'm waiting for YOU" -- this really brings back memories. Back in the day, the few times we tried delayed action was in big 3v3 and 4v4 wizard duels. We were all just too cagey and trying to seek too many advantages for it to work.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #24
FireHorse

I am reminded of the final gunfight from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Imagine that scene with Wizards instead of Gunslingers.

But to do it the same way, I suppose the Good Wizard (with no name) would need to have secretly drained the Ugly Wizard's powerstone…
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote