Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #141
TippetsTX

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
There is one already. On iOS, the standard share icon is visible and tapping it allows you to send the raw text info in a message, or copy the text and paste somewhere else, or print (if you have that available). There's also an Export button on the bottom of the character sheet.

It's not pretty, but it works.
I'm on an Android device.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #142
JustAnotherJarhead

Shield should appear in the ARMOR box for sure
I am half blind, I might try and change the size of display cuz there are waaaay too many menus I can't See fully.

Boomerang: still messed up, range modifiers are incorrect.
Thrown Weapons: Skill still messed up, doesn't allow quick draw like feature, or I don't know how to carry more than 2 thrown weapons?

On the subject of Boomerang, the App appears to want to put boomerangs IN my ready weapon hands, limit 2, and if I have a shield, it disables my READY shield and assumes I want a boomerang in BOTH of my open hands? Yes, this lack of access to multiple thrown weapons is driving me crazy. Need to iron out this kink, of leaving the shield ready, but still using quickdraw or Thrown Weapons to launch items from belt.

Change Weapon: I have no idea how to change weapons once in active combat. I've thrown my ONE boomerang, and now I don't know HOW to draw my sword? or...utilize Quick Draw?

READY weapon and Available weapons needs to be ironed out.

I can't SEE where to buy a Bola, or how to ready it?

Last edited by JustAnotherJarhead; 08-07-2019 at 11:08 PM.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #143
Cmdr_Bonehead

When I launch the application on my android tablet, I get the main menu screen, but tapping on any of the menu items (or anywhere on the screen) has no effect. The application does not respond at all.

I have a Samsung SM-P900 tablet, and I'm running android version 5.0.2
Cmdr_Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #144
JustAnotherJarhead

can someone tell me how to change ready weapon?

i'm gonna go bang my head against the wall
Old 08-08-2019, 12:07 AM   #145
andreww

I'm going through all these comments but will have only limited time over the next few days to deal with issues.

The Android tablet running 5.0.2, is that about ten years old? I'm not sure that's going to work, but I'm puzzled that it fails in that particular way.

As for changing the ready weapon, remember that you can only move one or two hexes and change weapons. If you move further than that you can't switch weapons.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:48 AM   #146
JustAnotherJarhead

club

ya gotta fix club , No Ax/Mace requirement.

Any progress on HTH ? Daggers in HTH etc..?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2019, 03:58 AM   #147
JustAnotherJarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post

As for changing the ready weapon, remember that you can only move one or two hexes and change weapons. If you move further than that you can't switch weapons.
Andrew,

I have an Ax and shield at the ready, I want to put them away, or drop them, and draw crossbow. there is NO provision for that on my Character.

It's like you can only have TWO weapons or weapon n shield combo ON your character at a time?

Why can't you switch between 3 or 4 weapons if you have the skills? and why doesn't Fast draw work?

If you could switch easier, then maybe Throwing Weapons n multiple Boomerangs or Bolas, or daggers might work too?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #148
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
This looks so good. On my android phone, though, I when creating a character, I cannot get the full list of spells (it doesn't scroll). There are also some screen size issues.
Okay, a bit of user error, a bit of something that needs documentation. I changed the font size on my phone. As my eyes slowly fail, I can see that this will eventually mean that I'll have to change fonts every time I use it. However, it works very well! Made a wizard, won 1 of 3 in the arena. Great app!
Old 08-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #149
andreww

Thanks for all the input. I am going through it all and adding things to my 1.1 and 1.2 TODO lists. Here are some responses...

Ulfguard - what screen size doesn't show all spells? I thought that was fixed, but I'll revisit it.

I will change the color of the import/export buttons and make sure they are explained in the help screens.

I couldn't find a good way to print the character nice character sheets, but I'll have another look. That may have to wait until 1.2

While you can gain experience for a character to take to a tabletop game (GM willing), you can't actually improve the character in the arena. The arena is just a learn-the-ropes intro. I need to make this more clear.

The inventory system is basically Melee. You get two weapons, a shield counts as a weapon. This mimics the character cards that came with the game. If you are playing a table top game using the app you can use the notes field to keep track of additional weapons, reloads, etc, along with other possessions. But those would not work in the arena/adventure.

The app is intended to be a complete character generator and digital character sheet for tabletop games, but it is deliberately not a complete implementation of TFT in the Arena/Adventure. Many Talents and Spells are not available. The boomerang worked when originally implemented but subsequently broke. I hope to fix it in 1.1. Quick Draw is not implemented, it may be in 1.2.

You can select a Bola under Unusual Weapons. If it is the ready weapon you will get a button to throw it.

I am not an expert on Android, but it seems the SM-P900 is from 2014? And Android 5.0.2 is from 2009? That can't be right. I tried to set the Google Play settings so that the app would not install on a device so old that it would not work, but information relevant to that question was very hard to come by. But if the main menu loads at least the initial buttons should work. I will look into this.

Changing Weapons: In the editor you touch a weapon slot and it brings up the menu to select a different weapon. Tap away from the menu to retain the current choice. In the adventure remember that you must move 0-2 hexes to change weapons. If you move further the button will not display.

There are no plans to put HTH into the arena or adventure.

TFT:ITL page 36 under the Axe/Mace Talent it states that a club requires no skill.

Font size is a painful issue. Obviously we want it as big as possible not only for readability but also so things are easy to tap on. But we also have to fit a lot of info on very small screens, and I want to use the character card that came with the printed game. I intend to add an option to increase the font size in the arena/adventure, since that won't effect the character card or the Talent/Spell menus, etc.

Certainly if you use change the font size through the OS or some other utility you may cause the app to behave badly. I'm not sure I can detect or plan around that.

I really feel like in the '90s it was easier to size text to a specific space. Now the underlying software is doing so much to help it's actually trickier.

Amazon has a "device farm" with 2500 different mobile devices. You can upload your app and run it via a script on huge numbers of devices, tapping and swiping and taking screen shots. I may use that on future projects, otherwise there will inevitably be users on devices not represented in development testing who get whacky results.

Thank you all again for all this input. I am not fixing a time for 1.1 at this point, but I'll announce it here in case you miss the notification on your device.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #150
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I'm on an Android device.
I was hoping there would be an equivalent "Android standard share button" to send to devices.

The Export button is not OS-specific. It's on the bottom of the Character Sheet when you "Edit" the Character. Do you not have that, either?