Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
oldwolf

Default Re: Shift after Disengage

Seems to me that this is only a theoretical problem. The world is not an infinite, featureless plain with only you and your opponent on it.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #12
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
Seems to me that this is only a theoretical problem. The world is not an infinite, featureless plain with only you and your opponent on it.
No. Extended play showed up the problem; and the tweak or amended rule fixed it. There was nothing theoretical about it.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #13
hcobb

Just let anybody who has a pending action available strike at the disengaging figure, but rolling one die more to hit than usual. This way disengage for high DX figures is a lot like defend.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I think there was a previous version of the rules that allowed an attack by the lower DX figure. From memory the attack suffered a minus equal to the difference in DX between the combatants. It appears this rule didn’t make it to the new edition. It’s an easy enough one to adopt and one I used to use.
I remember that! We used it too, but I'd frankly forgotten about it somewhere along the way. It is a much fairer rule, to my mind... I'll probably re-integrate it now. Thanks, Chris, for jogging the old brain cells!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #15
ColBosch

Quote:
Ah ok, I knew it was something we'd adopted from somewhere. It makes perfect sense to me and helps prevent the "gamey" tactic of using a high DX low ST figure to tie up a dangerous enemy without risk. It's also fairer as its odd that if a figure has a 1 point DX advantage over you he can hit you before you disengage but if he's 1 point lower he can't do anything. That's a bit extreme for me.
I disagree. The game is very much centered around DX, as it controls nearly every roll of the dice. If your opponent keeps disengaging with his high DX figure, go hit something else. It's not like the high DX piece is doing much besides being a distraction.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 PM   #16
larsdangly

I prefer the rule as written in this case. It is one of those chess-like elements that make game play a reasoned, skilled activity, which I think improve the combat system
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #17
oldwolf

Quote:
No. Extended play showed up the problem; and the tweak or amended rule fixed it. There was nothing theoretical about it.
When I said it was theotetical I didnt mean it didnt occur in games, I meant that since the game is not played on an infinite, unblemished plain of hexes, with only two players in all of existence, that the solution is to be found in the game.

For example, the two characters would be fighting over something. The player not choosing constant disengages is holding control of that thing, maybe a sack of coins on the floor. When the high DX player uses his action to disengage, the low DX player picks up the sack of coins as his action. Now the disengaging player must give up the coins or actually fight. Alternately, if the disengaging player already has the sack of coins he runs off with it after disengaging and the action ends. And so on.

I see nothing wrong with the game at times presenting a player with a situation that he, at that moment, cant beat. It just makes the game have a bit of realism. For a real world example, try going outside and catching a squirrel with your bare hands. You will lose to the squirrel, consistently. That doesnt mean the rules of reality have something wrong with them.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #18
Skarg

Being able to disengage safely can also be seen as a nice check/balance on the initiative / entire-side-moves system - it gives the side suffering from lack of initiative a possible way to mitigate that by reacting to the positions after the movement phase, by investing a turn Disengaging.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #19
hcobb

The only fighting style that really suffers from this is Sword & Shield so allow shield rush to be resolved at the start of actions, after missile and pole weapons.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #20
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The only fighting style that really suffers from this is Sword & Shield so allow shield rush to be resolved at the start of actions, after missile and pole weapons.
That seems like it could be a good compromise. I'll try it out.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote