Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-23-2019, 12:40 AM   #21
hcobb

Default Re: Am I reading this wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
So what's the advantage of not having the knife talent or of trying to use it in the off hand?
Four die rolls have higher chance of critical hits and failure than three die rolls so when adjDX is five or less and you are immune to critical failure it is better to roll more dice.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #22
JustAnotherJarhead

I'm kind of surprised that no one called out the obvious blunder, you can forge a fine throwing ax to be +1 to hit, because it's more balanced? But you can't fabricate an equally balanced throwing blade?
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #23
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post
I'm kind of surprised that no one called out the obvious blunder, you can forge a fine throwing ax to be +1 to hit, because it's more balanced? But you can't fabricate an equally balanced throwing blade?
One might reason that it's not very hard to balance a throwing knife (so there's no such thing as a "super-balanced" throwing knife that's materially more accurate, and that instead, knives/daggers not balanced for throwing might be at an extra penalty to throw them, instead.

If you wanted to allow finely-balanced throwing knives, maybe house-rule that a DX bonus on a knife only applies to throwing (and perhaps that the minimum penalty to throw it is -1 anyway, since balance probably doesn't matter at 1-hex range).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote