Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
LokRobster

Default Yay for 1/64!

It’s been an insanely busy August for me, and I had completely lost touch with news advancements on CW6e. Logged in tonight to catch up.

I just saw the 8/4 announcement post about the scale change... I’m pretty excited. I’d collected a few HO scale cars over the past 3 years or so, planning to mod some for 6e. Haven’t actually started working on any yet, which is cool because now I can go back to hot wheels scale. I’ve got like 20 cars (1/64 size) in various stages of finish already, time to complete them!

Looks implied in the post that the CW-specific “movement” bases will be available for home-builders to mount their cars on. I’ll be needing 50 of those :)
Old 08-31-2019, 02:39 AM   #2
schoon

Default Re: Yay for 1/64!

Given the ready availability of both cars and bits at 1:64 scale, I think it was the right choice.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
Looks implied in the post that (redacted!)
I'm not involved with the project at all, but please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not make statements like this until you see something definite from the developers. This is just the sort of thing that can cause a chain reaction of rumors and hard feelings later on.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I'm not involved with the project at all, but please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not make statements like this until you see something definite from the developers. This is just the sort of thing that can cause a chain reaction of rumors and hard feelings later on.
There has been a specific announcement that, unlike with the demo car pieces at Fnordcon, the bases will be detachable. So you can buy a car and then mount your own model on it, replacing the one it came with. [Which, btw, is super cool in and of itself!]

But if you want 50 spare bases, you will, as far as we know at this point, need to buy 50 spare cars.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

We _may_ be able to offer extra bases as add-on items during the Kickstarter campaign. Adapting the base to work with an off-the-shelf die-cast toy car will require work; we do not guarantee or promise that the bases will work with any car other than official Car Wars miniatures.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:34 AM   #6
schoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We _may_ be able to offer extra bases as add-on items during the Kickstarter campaign. Adapting the base to work with an off-the-shelf die-cast toy car will require work; we do not guarantee or promise that the bases will work with any car other than official Car Wars miniatures.
"may" is good. I can work with that.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
No worries on that Phil. FWIW, I'd love to be able to add on a bunch of extra bases... I'm liable to order a bunch.

A cool Kickstarter promo might be some additional base colors (and dashboards). This could be a great high-end sponsor item - have the sponsor's contribution cover the additional costs of doing another color (setup/teardown, material change costs, etc.) and let them pick the color. You could even do several at this level. A way to have some more color variety than just the original four and have the cost of doing so covered.

As to their fitting or not... again no worries. Those of us who use die-cast cars already have some experience in this area.

My take based on what I saw at FnordCon:
Many will fit, some won't. Assuming that the bases are 150% size of what was at FnordCon, most Hot Wheels and Matchbox should be okay. They probably will even work a bit better due to the additional rounded areas on the ends allowing a slightly bigger car.
The biggest determiner for fit is that they should not overhang from the base at all. (The base is used in collisions and any overhang would be an issue.) A number of the Jada Battle Machines won't be suitable, for example, because they would overhang.

The other factor is attaching the cars - as I understood things there will be a piece on the bottom of the cars that slots into the bases. Options for us converters is probably a permanent super-glue. (Hey another KS idea... make a separate plug piece for the bottom of the cars available to allow die-cast conversions, again high-end backer level to cover additional tooling costs.)

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
A cool Kickstarter promo might be some additional base colors (and dashboards).
We have no plans at all to expand beyond the four different player colors. Perhaps in the (very) distant future, but our focus on the moment is on the Car Wars game as we have designed it.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
ak_aramis

Remember guys - each mold tooled is potentially several hundred to several thousand dollars (depending upon complexity, materials), just for the mold, not counting the materials nor the setup, QC, nor packaging, shipping, warehousing.

And SJG is notorious for being hypercautious about fulfillability of KSs.

Plus, there's a much easier solution to mounting: a blob of blue-tac does nicely.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Aye. My bad. I should have focused on my desire for such. Just got overexcited yesterday.

I certainly don’t mind the “some modification required” aspect if they do become available. If you’re already kitbashing, that bit is minor.