Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 10-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #31
Malenfant

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Sorry. I've seen a lot of really vile and completely unjustifiable hatred directed towards the French from Americans in recent years. I don't find it particularly funny.
Malenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #32
combatmedic
Banned

I'm heartily opposed to the Jacobins, but quite warm towards the Jacobite cause. :)

This all makes more sense if you think of Jason in a powdered wig and tight pants.

I'll be wearing the same, only I look better!

:)
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #33
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malenfant View Post
Sorry. I've seen a lot of really vile and completely unjustifiable hatred directed towards the French from Americans in recent years. I don't find it particularly funny.
Oh, that's not Jason. These are historical jokes, not commentary about current events.

Last edited by combatmedic; 10-14-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #34
jason taylor

Yes I'm joking, Malenfent. If it bothers you, however, then I do ask your parden.

If you must know, it is meant as much as a mockery of English as French.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #35
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I'm heartily opposed to the Jacobins, but quite warm towards the Jacobite cause. :)

This all makes more sense if you think of Jason in a powdered wig and tight pants.

I'll be wearing the same, only I look better!

:)
Um, no. Blue coat, epaulettes and sword for me. Up sail lads! They'll be rum and prize money golore when we return.

Wig and tight pants are gross.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #36
combatmedic
Banned

Wigs and tight pants might very well be fashionable on some worlds under the protection of the Third Imperium.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #37
RainOfSteel

IMTU:

The Order of the Rose and Silk is the Imperium's most prestigious artistic Knighthood, only granted by the Emperor at the recommendation of its own membership.

The Order of the Heroes. Any sophont recommended to the SEH twice is instead sent to Capital for investiture in this Order.

The Order of the Sword. The general Imperium-wide ground soldier's Order of Knights.

The Order of the Void. The general sailor's Imperium-wide sailor's Order of Knights.

The Order of Conquest was created during the Pacification Campaigns, and is exclusive realm of Generals (Marine or Army) who have led their forces to capture a world, and the similar Order of Victory, which goes to Admirals who have won major space battles (the minimum is held to be a battle that decided ownership of a contested starsystem with not less than a fleet engaged on both sides).

--

As far as the general public opinion of the Imperium goes in cultures where even remotely positive media is available regarding the Imperium, it is the Military Orders of Knighthood that attract the greatest attention. Literally hundreds of billions of small boys and girls dream of growing up to become a pure hearted soldier who does great deeds and is elevated to the peerage as a Knight of some fabulous Order.

Cynically, this is one of the Imperium's secret weapons, the carrot it holds out to the Citizenry, even if it is a carrot at the end of a string held far above their heads. Even if every sergeant in every unit is telling every soldier under their command that dreams of medals and Knighthoods will only get them horribly wounded or dead, still, they dream, still, they strive. Of course, there are the disillusioned, too. Those who avoid dreams of war, idealistic naive dreams, or whatever kind, or whose hopes have been forever dashed.
RainOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #38
jason taylor

Order of the Phantom:

A legend well known across the Imperium about a guild of mercenary agents that was formed long ago. Some say it was formed during the Civil war, but others that it's ancestry dates back to the Ziru Sirka. According to legend they have a strict code of honor. They will at times take assassination or abduction contacts but never against civilians and when offered such a contract the agent always has the right to refuse. Once a contract is accepted it must be carried out and if two contracts conflict the earlier one is considered valid. At the least it is dishonorable to charge for a contract one has know intention of completing. The Order maintains safehouses where all agents have Claim to Hospitality and no agent may harm another there even when working for opposing sides. At a Phantom safehouse only the Order's secret language is spoken and member's are addressed by the names they have been given on entering the Order of the Phantom. No member is required to reveal his face at a Phantom safehouse however and many do not for obvious reasons. If an agent proves himself dishonorable by the order's standards he is declared prey for the entire order. The same applies to an employer that triffles with his employees-to use a Phantom agent as a discard, for instance is a sure way to be assassinated according to legend.

In return Phantom agents are trained to a high proficiency which includes psionic training. Many agents are claimed to have a mindlink with each other.
Their skill is so legendary that according to tales, nobles have hired phantom agents to train their children into being their own bodyguards, and some Imperial Nobles are full members and have a Phantom name and a right to visit a Phantom safehouse.

The existence of the order is doubted. Some say it does not exist, others say it refers to several such organizations.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #39
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Wigs and tight pants might very well be fashionable on some worlds under the protection of the Third Imperium.
Wussy, pampered, corefolk. The marches for me, where men are men!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #40
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainOfSteel View Post
IMTU:

The Order of the Rose and Silk is the Imperium's most prestigious artistic Knighthood, only granted by the Emperor at the recommendation of its own membership.

The Order of the Heroes. Any sophont recommended to the SEH twice is instead sent to Capital for investiture in this Order.

The Order of the Sword. The general Imperium-wide ground soldier's Order of Knights.

The Order of the Void. The general sailor's Imperium-wide sailor's Order of Knights.

The Order of Conquest was created during the Pacification Campaigns, and is exclusive realm of Generals (Marine or Army) who have led their forces to capture a world, and the similar Order of Victory, which goes to Admirals who have won major space battles (the minimum is held to be a battle that decided ownership of a contested starsystem with not less than a fleet engaged on both sides).

--

As far as the general public opinion of the Imperium goes in cultures where even remotely positive media is available regarding the Imperium, it is the Military Orders of Knighthood that attract the greatest attention. Literally hundreds of billions of small boys and girls dream of growing up to become a pure hearted soldier who does great deeds and is elevated to the peerage as a Knight of some fabulous Order.

Cynically, this is one of the Imperium's secret weapons, the carrot it holds out to the Citizenry, even if it is a carrot at the end of a string held far above their heads. Even if every sergeant in every unit is telling every soldier under their command that dreams of medals and Knighthoods will only get them horribly wounded or dead, still, they dream, still, they strive. Of course, there are the disillusioned, too. Those who avoid dreams of war, idealistic naive dreams, or whatever kind, or whose hopes have been forever dashed.
Would the Imperium blatantly call it "the order of conquest"? How about "the order of Imperial glory" or so on.

Also one of the main secret weapons of the Imperium is simply the pariochial rulers. People go to space to get away from their planet. And if the Imperium gives rewards to the successful and puts a light hand on others that might be a motive to serve the Imperium.