Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #71
VisceralShoe01

Default Re: Main-Gauche

Right you are hcobb, that makes perfect sense to me now. And thanks again larsdangly. Can you clarify the 2 weapons talent question I had in my previous post?

Last edited by VisceralShoe01; 10-09-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added thought
VisceralShoe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #72
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceralShoe01 View Post
Ok so in page 111 of ITL, it also says,"The left-hand dagger, or main-gauche, acts as a shield to parry 1 hit per attack ...
In that sentence, "The left-hand dagger, or main-gauche" refers to the same weapon - the main-gauche, whose name is French for "left hand". It is not talking about ordinary daggers held in the left hand.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #73
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceralShoe01 View Post
The rules for the 2 weapons talent is still a bit confusing though, is it -6dx for both weapons with out that talent, and then just -4DX for your off hand with the talent?
Yes. It's perhaps clearer if you also study the Two Weapons talent description in ITL on page 41.

With two full-sized weapons and the Two Weapons talent, you can attack with one weapon at no penalty and another weapon at -4 DX.

With two full-sized weapons but NO Two Weapons talent, you can attack with both weapons, but both attacks will be at -6 DX.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #74
VisceralShoe01

Thanks Skarg, for the clarification. And thanks to everyone else who helped me clarify things as well. Y'all have all been very helpful and patient. But just one more question. If you don't have two weapns talent, and say you are using a sword and MG. Does the -6DX still apply, or is for if you are using t swords, or sword and axe, etc... Again thank for all the help. Y'all are great.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #75
VisceralShoe01

Nevermind, I just found it. So all is well. Thanks again. It's amazing what you learn when you actually read stuff lol. Thanks again Skarg for the page number reference.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:29 PM   #76
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Created a number of characters today.
I realize I am way late on sticking my oar in this and probably off base as well, but, I checked my copy of original Advanced Melee and found one bit of text that is different than today's version. The original rules allowed that one could attack with the main-gauche and still use it to stop one hit of damage on the same turn. Rules also indicated it was only -1 DX used as a shield, but the shield armor table says, -2 DX/-4 DX. It is long past remembering what we used to do with this, but I think we made the main-gauche -2 DX only on a turn where we used it as a shield and attacked with it.

If this doesn't help, please excuse me for my intrusion.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #77
VisceralShoe01

No it's all good warhorse. In the new melee rules it basically. Just says that you can parry the 1 hit, as well as, use the extra attack on the same figure at -4DX for the attack, but no dx penalty for MA.

Last edited by VisceralShoe01; 10-09-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #78
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
I realize I am way late on sticking my oar in this and probably off base as well, but, I checked my copy of original Advanced Melee and found one bit of text that is different than today's version. The original rules allowed that one could attack with the main-gauche and still use it to stop one hit of damage on the same turn. Rules also indicated it was only -1 DX used as a shield, but the shield armor table says, -2 DX/-4 DX. It is long past remembering what we used to do with this, but I think we made the main-gauche -2 DX only on a turn where we used it as a shield and attacked with it.

If this doesn't help, please excuse me for my intrusion.
Yes. The new Legacy Edition changed some things about Main Gauche and Spike Shields, and both editions have some typos on their Main Gauche entries on the weapon tables. IIRC Advanced Melee weapon table mirrors original Melee, but the text says something different.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #79
VisceralShoe01

I guess at the end of the day, it's all up to the GM to determine how the rules will actually play out. I feel like, as long as the GM and players are in agreement or can make a fair compromise, then all the better. The long and skinny is that the game should be fun and fair for everyone involved. And if that's the case, then everyone wins. Until they take an axe to the face anyway... Lol