Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-13-2022, 06:35 AM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default Quick question: does Weapon Master (Rapier) cover light rapiers?

Miao Miao's write-up in Delvers to Go takes for granted that Weapon Master (Rapier) covers edged rapiers. My question is: does it also cover light rapiers? Seems like a minor point but might matter to a starting delver who's reluctant to trade points for cash.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
GalaCollie77

Default Re: Quick question: does Weapon Master (Rapier) cover light rapiers?

I can say with near certainty that it does include Light Rapier
GalaCollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:44 PM   #3
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaCollie77 View Post
I can say with near certainty that it does include Light Rapier
That's nice but how do you know?
Old 06-13-2022, 05:51 PM   #4
Celjabba

Same, it would definitively be the case in Gurps, and I see no reason it would be different in DFRPG.

They all have "Rapier" in the name.
They are all sorted together in the Weapon List under the "Rapier" skill.
The "all fencing weapon" category above is much larger : (any blade used with the Main-Gauche, Rapier, Saber, or Smallsword skill).

Relevant Kromm quote (written for Gurps, not DFRPG) : http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=25

Last edited by Celjabba; 06-13-2022 at 09:53 PM.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Same, it would definitively be the case in Gurps, and I see no reason it would be different in DFRPG.

They all have "Rapier" in the name.
They are all sorted together in the Weapon List under the "Rapier" skill.
The "all fencing weapon" category above is much larger : (any blade used with the Main-Gauche, Rapier, Saber, or Smallsword skill).

Relevant Kromm quote (written for Gurps, not DFRPG) : http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=25
Okay, cool, thanks for finding what Kromm has said about this. This is also relevant (I wound up finding it by searching the forum for discussion of katanas rather than rapiers—because in MA "late katana" is a thing).
Old 06-14-2022, 09:39 PM   #6
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Okay, cool, thanks for finding what Kromm has said about this. This is also relevant (I wound up finding it by searching the forum for discussion of katanas rather than rapiers—because in MA "late katana" is a thing).
It's a useful link, with a useful clarification:

Quote:
Weapon Master (Foo) encompasses anything with "foo" in the name. So Weapon Master (Broadsword) includes anything named "broadsword" for just 20 points. As a GM, I'd also include any balanced, Reach 1 weapon capable of swing cutting damage that's covered by the Broadsword skill: cavalry saber, backsword, etc.
What makes things a little confusing, though, is WM entries that seem overly specific. Like pre-gen Yvor Gryffyn with his Weapon Master (Longsword) [20]. I wondered myself: "Wait, is that any Broadsword weapon, or specifically longswords only?" Following the above advice, I think it'd be clearer to label his ability Weapon Master (Broadsword) [20].

Then again: The earlier linked quote from Kromm suggests that WM (All knives, i.e., anything used with Knife skill) is indeed broader and costlier than WM (Only knives that are conventional knives, and not oddities like katars). But on another hand, DFRPG suggests WM (Knives) [20] as covering everything used with Knife or Main-Gauche skill.

So maybe I'm missing something, but I find it all pretty fuzzy. So I've just always gone with WM (Specific Skill(s)), much like defining a Wildcard skill or Expert skill, rather than fiddling with specific weapons. Simple and worry-free, IMO.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:48 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
What makes things a little confusing, though, is WM entries that seem overly specific. Like pre-gen Yvor Gryffyn with his Weapon Master (Longsword) [20]. I wondered myself: "Wait, is that any Broadsword weapon, or specifically longswords only?" Following the above advice, I think it'd be clearer to label his ability Weapon Master (Broadsword) [20].
Weapon Master (Longsword) gives it's damage bonus regardless of what skill you are using to do damage with the longsword (which is at least three different possible skills).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:34 AM   #8
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Weapon Master (Longsword) gives it's damage bonus regardless of what skill you are using to do damage with the longsword (which is at least three different possible skills).
That seems sensible: A choice between WM (Longsword, i.e., this specific weapon, regardless of the skill), or WM (Broadsword, i.e., this specific skill, regardless of the weapon). And it makes sense that Yvor would choose the former, as he wants to use his sword with both Broadsword and Two-Handed Sword.

(Reading the books more closely, I gather that WM (Specific Skill(s), not specific weapon(s)) is a later Kromm suggestion, not the printed rule. Sounds good to me, as an option for some character concepts.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:37 AM   #9
Kalzazz

Since Longswords are not reach one and don't have Broadsword in the name they (and katana and light club) don't meet Kromm's definition of balanced reach 1 cutting one handed weapons used with Broadsword skill
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #10
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
That seems sensible: A choice between WM (Longsword, i.e., this specific weapon, regardless of the skill), or WM (Broadsword, i.e., this specific skill, regardless of the weapon). And it makes sense that Yvor would choose the former, as he wants to use his sword with both Broadsword and Two-Handed Sword.

(Reading the books more closely, I gather that WM (Specific Skill(s), not specific weapon(s)) is a later Kromm suggestion, not the printed rule. Sounds good to me, as an option for some character concepts.)
It's not DFRPG, but DF Denizens: Swashbucklers defines WM for all weapons within a single skill as [25].