Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-04-2022, 02:57 PM   #1
Bill_in_IN

Default Getting Ready and Organized for TFT.

Since it will be a couple of weeks before I receive my Legacy Edition, I went ahead and ordered.downloaded the PDF version.

I have printed out all three rule books, three holes punched them, and placed them into their own folders.

I have printed out several counter cards, character cards, and hex play maps.

I made a play board from a foam board with the Wizard Map.

I have plenty of D6 and two different colored D10's (I prefer them for percentage roles).

Now, I'm ready to start generating characters and playing. I'll probably do some arena battles to get used to it all over again and then start Death Test.

I guess that this equates to actually getting to start over after already knowing about it.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Getting Ready and Organized for TFT.

Sounds great, Bill. Those printed PDFs can be really handy as extra copies at the table.

For some ideas on counter storage, take a peek at this blog post.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:51 PM   #3
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Sounds great, Bill. Those printed PDFs can be really handy as extra copies at the table.

For some ideas on counter storage, take a peek at this blog post.
Thanks I'll take in just about any tip.

Having the PDF on the laptop will be the fastest reference.

I'm hoping to get my proficiency up so that I can introduce some newcomers and keep it interesting.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:57 AM   #4
larsdangly

You are doing great; the only things i would add are:
- create a system for organizing your MH tiles and storing the big ones in a way that keeps them flat over time (they will naturally warp a little as they gain and lose moisture, and if you let that process go too far you will be very unhappy with how they line up on the table).
- get some of the old Chessex style counter trays that the war game grognards use for ASL, etc. You are going to end up with a ton of counters and they are not useful unless they are stored in a way that lets you find what you want at a glance.
- start playing! TFT is just another game when you see it on the page, but very special when you get going at the table because its game play is so engaging and unique.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:35 PM   #5
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
You are doing great; the only things i would add are:
- create a system for organizing your MH tiles and storing the big ones in a way that keeps them flat over time (they will naturally warp a little as they gain and lose moisture, and if you let that process go too far you will be very unhappy with how they line up on the table).
- get some of the old Chessex style counter trays that the war game grognards use for ASL, etc. You are going to end up with a ton of counters and they are not useful unless they are stored in a way that lets you find what you want at a glance.
- start playing! TFT is just another game when you see it on the page, but very special when you get going at the table because its game play is so engaging and unique.
Thanks.

I know about playing TFT. I played it from ~1980 through 1996.

I just had a very unexpected surprise. My TFT legacy edition was delivered today. I wasn't expecting it for a couple of weeks. Warehouse23 said they were shut down for the holidays and do inventory until the 12th.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:41 PM   #6
Bill_in_IN

I generated three characters today. Two fighters and one wizard. It's all coming back to me as I read through ITL.

Last edited by Bill_in_IN; 01-07-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:55 AM   #7
hcobb

If you want a quick check of talent requirements then import the characters into my tool https://www.hcobb.com/tft/tftcalc.html or the app.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:06 AM   #8
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If you want a quick check of talent requirements then import the characters into my tool https://www.hcobb.com/tft/tftcalc.html or the app.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Since I will initially be running characters through arena battle just to get the hang of the battle resolution process, I haven't filled up all of their available INT points and opting for their more immediate talents/spells needed for fighting in that venue. That way, as they gain more attributes, they have open points for spending on talents/spells as the character develops more INT points.

Right now, I'm more interested in proficiency of character generation and battle resolution. It's been nearly 30 years since I have GM'ed TFT. I have to get myself back into proficiency if I want players to remain interested.

Since I appreciate any help that I can get, I will definitely check out your links.

In the past, arena battle was the best way to get someone hooked because TFT was great at battle resolution compared to D&D. Several arena battles and some EXP for attributed in the first session allowed then to learn the game play and prepare their characters for adventures to come later.

As stated before, as I read through ITL, Wizard, and Melee, I have amazed myself with respect to what I remember. I had moved through these books so many times that I practically had them memorized. I'm not there by any means but it is coming back to me as I go.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #9
hcobb

Have you watched all of the Castle Archon TFT videos? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma13...UXIht4j3R-t0c-
Old 01-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #10
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I haven't had much time to watch videos but I will. Do these videos serve as GM instruction/tips?