Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-15-2021, 02:31 AM   #31
Yenaldlooshi

Default Re: Good Build Combos?

"Zero Dred"

"I wanna go fast!" -- Ricky Bobby

Build Size:
Recommended start level for a large game per core rules: BP = 36pt, Crew = 9, AP = 9

Weapons:
x2 Dreadnaughts Set 1 both Front

Structure:
Super Heavy Ceramic Plate Set 3 Front
Super Heavy Ceramic Plate Set 3 Left

Accessories:
Superbooster Core Front
Advanced Firing Interface Set 1 Left
Splitter Front Set 3 Front
Radar Detector Uncle Al Left
Autopilot Uncle Al Left
Dynamic Suspension core Left
Spoiler Set 3 Front

Upgrades:
Chassis Brace Core
High Density Radials Core
*Stability Controller Crew

Crew:
Veteran Driver Core
Legend Gunner Core *(gets +1 CP from Stability Controller)

NOTES:
This build is designed to go fast and pack a huge punch. The Dreadnaughts are one of the most powerful weapons in the game that is not single shot. Remember your gunner is "Legend".

This build generates 9 ace in the control step plus one additional ace for every maneuver done at speed 4-5 in addition to the normal ace you get for the move itself.

At speed 4-5 which you can get to in a single turn with no damage, and assuming you have not suffered tire damage yet, you get 4 control for the dash but then another 1 control. You can also use your ace to supplement your control by another using the autopilot and to avoid loss of control you can also burn ace to purchase more control if in a pinch.

If you keep to speed 5 then with all your rerolls available, it should be very difficult to catch damage.

Suggested driving pattern would be a diamond pattern going counter clockwise so that you only expose your massive structure points on the left (reverse all if you prefer and go clockwise with armor on the right). Don't let anyone on your right or rear!

Watch exposing your 6. 90 degree full turn pivots to bring weapons to bear are only recommended on the last of your 5 moves making sure you can maintain control. You can afford it though if saving your CONTROL markers. Use Slides for low cost ACE gaining maneuvers and to bled off forward movement.

How to counter this build: Litter the field with terrain, spikes, mines, slabs etc forcing more complicated and frequent turns and chances for losing control. Or get on the right side or rear for less structure to hit internals.

Comment; I wish I was smart enough to get sets 2 and 4 during the Kickstarter. In Set 4 I would have used the Gyroscopic Stabilizer and Plasma Cannons in place of the weapons and one accessory above. Cannot wait till March... (update; scratch those Plasma Cannons, range 2 is a little toooo limiting, but that Gyroscopic Stabilizer tho!)

Last edited by Yenaldlooshi; 11-15-2021 at 03:17 AM.
Yenaldlooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:03 AM   #32
beetle496

Very nice @Yenaldlooshi !
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #33
Yenaldlooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
It is completely ridiculous. At the time the film came out, my SO was a programmer for a steel mill, which made armor-grade steel (among other things). We calculated the weight of "The Tombstone"; as described, it would have weighed 3.5 *TONS*....
Ahem... the problem you guys are having with the realism of the device is you are thinking in 2021 terms and not 2070 terms. The slab is not "concrete" in your days version of it any more than 2020 concrete is the same as ancient roman concrete.

The 2070 "Slab" device deploys the concrete by instantly mixing two very light weight compounds that start off as a powder and then mixing it together along with water that it instantly wicks from the moisture in the air itself. It basically is mixed, put in its form and sets in a matter of milliseconds. Think of it as a heavy duty version of the foam nozzle. Indeed people standing next to the Slab when active often complain of extreme dehydration.

That with the internal molecular lattice that it forms for strength lends to it's extreme strength, much like, but not made in anyway like a 2021 Slab o' concrete...

...I could be wrong, but unless it is not fun to drop a huge slab or concrete behind you in front of your enemy, I would say just use your imagination a little to accept what's fun and playable. I mean... are we going to complain about Uncle Al's Taco card next? lol
Old 11-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #34
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenaldlooshi View Post
"Zero Dred"

"I wanna go fast!" -- Ricky Bobby

Build Size:
Recommended start level for a large game per core rules: BP = 36pt, Crew = 9, AP = 9

Weapons:
x2 Dreadnaughts Set 1 both Front

Structure:
Super Heavy Ceramic Plate Set 3 Front
Super Heavy Ceramic Plate Set 3 Left

Accessories:
Superbooster Core Front
Advanced Firing Interface Set 1 Left
Splitter Front Set 3 Front
Radar Detector Uncle Al Left
Autopilot Uncle Al Left
Dynamic Suspension core Left
Spoiler Set 3 Front

Upgrades:
Chassis Brace Core
High Density Radials Core
*Stability Controller Crew

Crew:
Veteran Driver Core
Legend Gunner Core *(gets +1 CP from Stability Controller)

NOTES:
This build is designed to go fast and pack a huge punch. The Dreadnaughts are one of the most powerful weapons in the game that is not single shot. Remember your gunner is "Legend".

This build generates 9 ace in the control step plus one additional ace for every maneuver done at speed 4-5 in addition to the normal ace you get for the move itself.

At speed 4-5 which you can get to in a single turn with no damage, and assuming you have not suffered tire damage yet, you get 4 control for the dash but then another 1 control. You can also use your ace to supplement your control by another using the autopilot and to avoid loss of control you can also burn ace to purchase more control if in a pinch.

If you keep to speed 5 then with all your rerolls available, it should be very difficult to catch damage.

Suggested driving pattern would be a diamond pattern going counter clockwise so that you only expose your massive structure points on the left (reverse all if you prefer and go clockwise with armor on the right). Don't let anyone on your right or rear!

Watch exposing your 6. 90 degree full turn pivots to bring weapons to bear are only recommended on the last of your 5 moves making sure you can maintain control. You can afford it though if saving your CONTROL markers. Use Slides for low cost ACE gaining maneuvers and to bled off forward movement.

How to counter this build: Litter the field with terrain, spikes, mines, slabs etc forcing more complicated and frequent turns and chances for losing control. Or get on the right side or rear for less structure to hit internals.

Comment; I wish I was smart enough to get sets 2 and 4 during the Kickstarter. In Set 4 I would have used the Gyroscopic Stabilizer and Plasma Cannons in place of the weapons and one accessory above. Cannot wait till March... (update; scratch those Plasma Cannons, range 2 is a little toooo limiting, but that Gyroscopic Stabilizer tho!)
I think the strength of this design would probably come down to how many players were involved. With 4 players, only having armor on two sides can be a fairly risky, as you're very likely to get hit on one of the others. 9 points sounds like a lot, but I've seen hits in games already that would laugh at that. There are ways to seriously stack up dice.

The other real weakness I see is shred weapons, and tire damage in particular. It adds up and can really hammer your maximum speed.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #35
beetle496

Default Schrödinger’s Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenaldlooshi View Post
…I would say just use your imagination a little to accept what's fun and playable. I mean... are we going to complain about Uncle Al's Taco card next?
I have no problems with the cinematic realism provide by both of these cards.

Forgive me, but I think you might have missed the quantum mechanics underlying the Taco. It is not unlike the Concealment System. In the later half of the 21st Century, we make use of the observer phenomenon.

“I‘m not bleeding! You’re the one who got shot, sorry. I just spilled some salsa from my taco.”
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:00 AM   #36
Yenaldlooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
I think the strength of this design would probably come down to how many players were involved. With 4 players, only having armor on two sides can be a fairly risky, as you're very likely to get hit on one of the others. 9 points sounds like a lot, but I've seen hits in games already that would laugh at that. There are ways to seriously stack up dice.

The other real weakness I see is shred weapons, and tire damage in particular. It adds up and can really hammer your maximum speed.
What were the BP levels of the 9pt laughable games? I mean, give me 50pts and I can do better than 9 for sure.

Shred weapons, eh? OK, so understanding I don't have sets 2/4, in the whole rest of the game, the most powerful shredder is the Minigun which delivers on average 4.82 hits per attack. So at speed 5 you get 5 dice, you will need all 5 to come up shields. That's a .33 chance per die or roll. Thus you need 15 rolls (4.82/.33 rounded up). So you here's your defense:
5 original dice rolls
2 rerolls due to radar detector
This leaves 8 rerolls to go.
Driver allows you to spend 4 ACE to get those 8 rerolls.
If you still have your original 9 ACE, then you still have 5 left in your pool... in case he has two of those suckers...

You are right about the 4 player thing. You really need to do some wall hugging and move tactically in that scenario... as always. But nothing will help if they team up on your butt.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #37
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

@Yenaldlooshi
This is a great build! Some things to monitor as you play with this car:
1) The typical build has a constant medium-level threat of going OOC. This build has infrequent-but-huge spikes in OOC risk. To keep your front arc pointed at your opponent, you'll be making riskier maneuvers they they do, and at higher speeds.

2) Your opponent may not be as maneuverable, but they aren't going to be significantly LESS maneuverable, either. They'll likely have a medium-to-large gun on you every single round, while you're going to have a few sidearm-only rounds. They're unlikely to hit you hard, but they'll hit you more often.

3) You will not be able to maintain an ideal balance of ace tokens all game. You need them when maneuvering and for defense, and you're always at the mercy of the dice. You'll also favor spending your ace tokens to maintain control, so you can get stuck without them at times when defending.
This is a superb example of maximizing a build in favor of a play style. It's fun, and it's the kind of build that establishes a meta — everyone thinks it's The One True Way — right before a wildly different build comes in and wrecks it. That doesn't mean the build is bad. Far from it. It's just that we've done a LOT of testing with extreme purpose-built cars (including several almost identical to this), and there are counter-plays for EVERY build.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #38
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

I also particularly like that you're finding the value in things OTHER than weapons — most folks take a loonnnnngggggg time to feel comfortable disarming their high-BP cars to this extent.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #39
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
I also particularly like that you're finding the value in things OTHER than weapons — most folks take a loonnnnngggggg time to feel comfortable disarming their high-BP cars to this extent.
[looks upward; whistles quietly] :)

Yenaldlooshi's build is similar to the "ferret on heroin" build I used back at FC1: 1-2 Big Guns; as many Ace and Control tokens as one can generate ("smoke 'em if ya got 'em"); enough defense items to outlast the opposition.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #40
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

Purpose-built cars like this tend to overwhelmingly succeed or fail spectacularly. There isn't a lot of middle ground. As long as you're willing to accept that and can still have fun, there's some really creative stuff you can do.