Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #41
NexusGameTheory

Default Re: A closer look at Explosion Damage

Will do! Happy to give feedback and test stuff out!
NexusGameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #42
Magesmiley

I've been pondering the explosion effect and what might be a good meaningful, alternate effect. And it occurred to me that what might be interesting would be that instead of losing a control token, have it do 1 point of damage to an adjacent armor facing (I'd let the defender choose which) instead.

Something like that could have a number of interesting uses, though it might also need to work more like tires in terms of how defensive rolls work (rather than just ignoring them).

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #43
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

No clue how that would feel in play, but I love the absurdity of a blast hitting the side, dealing 1 damage to the front that goes internal, and then pulling the opposite side armor damage result, dealing the damage to the back.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #44
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
No clue how that would feel in play, but I love the absurdity of a blast hitting the side, dealing 1 damage to the front that goes internal, and then pulling the opposite side armor damage result, dealing the damage to the back.
I liken it to a hit that affects an area of the vehicle rather than a more precise hit. The explosion damage being the part that wraps around to another side or internally.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:16 AM   #45
beetle496

@Magesmiley — instead of ‘wrapping’ or something that lets the defender choose, what if it the Wrench result was a hit that bypassed armor (so use the Damage Deck)? I am worried that might make Blast too powerful. I am liking the Skid result better, so maybe that first, but only when it’s obvious and easy to apply?

Last edited by beetle496; 11-23-2021 at 11:19 AM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #46
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
@Magesmiley — instead of ‘wrapping’ or something that lets the defender choose, what if it the Wrench result was a hit that bypassed armor (so use the Damage Deck)? I am worried that might make Blast too powerful. I am liking the Skid result better, so maybe that first, but only when it’s obvious and easy to apply?
Personally, cards that jump past armor are a problem IMO, as they would too easily take out structure cards.

The 'wraparound' effect seemed like it could be an interesting, meaningful effect that wasn't any more overpowered than a tire hit.

Old 11-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #47
beetle496

@Magesmiley — good point that chance to put hit on a weak Structure is no good.

I agree about scaling to a tire hit, but if anything, Blast Wrench should be weaker than Shred or Fire. Having it different is better, so just converting Blast Wrench to damage feels like a poor choice to me. Losing one control at the start of the next turn seems about right to me, but it is more to keep track of than I like, and does not fit with other patterns it the game. But I really don’t like that it’s NE 99% of the time in a two-player game, so I feel compelled to make some sort of change.

Last edited by beetle496; 11-23-2021 at 01:39 PM. Reason: phrasing
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #48
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

I'm going to bow out here, as I don't feel there's need to change the game from what we released, but that's not a grumpy departure — y'all have fun and I'll be around if you have any questions!
Old 11-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #49
NexusGameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
I'm going to bow out here, as I don't feel there's need to change the game from what we released, but that's not a grumpy departure — y'all have fun and I'll be around if you have any questions!
Thanks for the thoughts and time you gave us!
NexusGameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #50
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

@NexusGameTheory
Thank you for being pleasant and supportive, even in disagreement. It matters a lot, and I appreciate it!

And let me offer a broader thanks to EVERYONE for making this game a success, for actually playing it, and for maintaining positive vibes throughout these forums. Y'all are great.