Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
Varyon

Default Questions about Innate Attack (Wall)

EDIT: Note this thread has been raised from the grave by necromancy most foul. New posts start at #9.
EDIT2: Even fouler necromancy has raised this thread yet again; new posts start at #37.

Alright, so the recent Wall thread is making me wonder quite a few things about the Enhancement that I'm hoping to get clarified. Note for the following questions I'm referring to "Innate Attack with the Wall Enhancement" as simply "Wall."

First, height. Do Walls follow the general GURPS trend of having each hex be essentially a 1 yard wide by 4 yard tall hexagonal prism? If not, how tall are they meant to be? Can we reorient them to lay on their sides, or particularly with the +60% version thin them out to get more surface area out of them (while maintaining the volume)? And why are hexes 4 yards tall to start with?

Next, shells. How exactly should one go about using Wall to build a shell - that is, a wall with a roof? The way I handle it, you need full sized walls for a base, then more on top, and then you can fill in the empty space on the second level to make the roof. Is this correct? Note this requires 13 hexes to build a shell over a 1 hex "room." On that topic, how do you have a Wall that can manifest underground, so that foes can't simply dig their way into or out of a shell?

Another question would be climbing. When a Wall is defined as being rigid, how difficult should it be to climb it? Would it be appropriate for such Walls built from Cutting/Impaling attacks to risk cutting the character as they climb? And how would we adjust difficulty, if there's one character who makes walls of rough stone and another who makes them of mirror-polished metal?

Yet another for rigid walls would be weight. Should walls be considered as having a weight, and if so, how much? Is this a case where we should simply back-calculate from HP, assuming a homogenous target? PK had a great suggestion here for determining how much weight a Wall can support, but it also seems like a terribly strong foe might be able to pick up and throw a Wall aside, rather than smashing through it, so a weight for the actual Wall might be appropriate.

And how about hybrid walls - say, a wall of crushing force that deals damage to those who try to pass through it and requires them to physically break through? I think the RAW would be to build two different Wall abilities and Link them together, but would it be legal to have them exist in the same hexes?

Related to that, how about transparency? Is transparency/opacity a Feature? What about a Wall that is, say, opaque to visual light, but transparent to IR?

EDIT: From the other thread, do walls - be they permeable or rigid - require contact with the ground, or could they be made to simply hover in the air until they expired or were destroyed?

And one I had initially forgotten about - do walls have a minimum thickness, and if not, when making them thinner than 1 yard, can we use that volume elsewhere or is this a case where you are basically just condensing the wall down? If we can use it elsewhere, would it be appropriate to scale damage/DR+HP linearly with thickness?

I'll probably think of more later (I thought I had others earlier, but can't remember them now), but some answers on what I have above would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Varyon; 04-01-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Questions about Innate Attack (Wall)

I agree that Walls should be 4 yards tall, as per the usual Area of Effect rules. I'd argue that the +60% version of Wall, that lets you shape the effect, should include whether the wall is vertical or not. Since each chunk of Wall gives you 12 square yards of area to play with, I guess enclosing an SM 0 individual in a sphere would thus require 3 "Wall units", since a sphere with 1.5 yards of radius has a surface area of 28.26 square yards. And a 2-yard high hemisphere still needs just over 24 square yards, so it still needs 3 Wall units too.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:59 AM   #3
spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Where can I find this stuff about 4 yards? On the other thread people were proposing 2 yards high...
12 feet is 4 yards, the 12 foot rule was cited in the other thread iirc.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I agree that Walls should be 4 yards tall, as per the usual Area of Effect rules. I'd argue that the +60% version of Wall, that lets you shape the effect, should include whether the wall is vertical or not. Since each chunk of Wall gives you 12 square yards of area to play with, I guess enclosing an SM 0 individual in a sphere would thus require 3 "Wall units", since a sphere with 1.5 yards of radius has a surface area of 28.26 square yards. And a 2-yard high hemisphere still needs just over 24 square yards, so it still needs 3 Wall units too.
I assume by "wall units" you're referring to the 3x4x1 yard chunks that each yard of radius on the area effect gives you? In that case, yeah, I could see a 3 yard radius working, although personally I think that's a bit low, and would be tempted to require 5 (2 to surround the target, 2 to build on top of that surrounding wall, then 1/3 of a full unit to fill in the empty spot above the target; the remaining volume might be usable to strengthen the wall a bit).

The other thread brought up another question, which I'll also add to the original post - do walls, permeable or rigid, require contact with the ground at some point, or can they be made such that they simply hover in the air?
Old 06-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I assume by "wall units" you're referring to the 3x4x1 yard chunks that each yard of radius on the area effect gives you?
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. I was trying to find a useful shorthand, but failed to explain that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon
although personally I think that's a bit low, and would be tempted to require 5 (2 to surround the target, 2 to build on top of that surrounding wall, then 1/3 of a full unit to fill in the empty spot above the target;
The thing is, the +60% version of Wall says that you can "form it into any shape you choose". I don't see why that shouldn't include shaping a vertical wall into a curve.

With all the math apps and such available online or on smartphones or whatnot these days, I think it's actually easier to do the math of "what's the area of the shape you want to cover, ok now divide that by 12 square yards, that's the size of the Wall you need to cover it", rather than trying to figure out "ok, how many Walls do I need to make this flat section, then this section, then that one...".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon
The other thread brought up another question, which I'll also add to the original post - do walls, permeable or rigid, require contact with the ground at some point, or can they be made such that they simply hover in the air?
In another thread where we were discussing this, I came to the decision that by default, a Wall needs at least one anchor point. If you take the Drifting enhancement, you can create it floating in midair, and "drift" with gravity - i.e., falling down and possibly crushing anyone it lands on. I'd also allow a "Hovering" enhancement for +10%, that let you create the wall at any point, without an anchor, and then it would just stay there without moving.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Where can I find this stuff about 4 yards? On the other thread people were proposing 2 yards high...
"Other people" was just you.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
With all the math apps and such available online or on smartphones or whatnot these days, I think it's actually easier to do the math of "what's the area of the shape you want to cover, ok now divide that by 12 square yards, that's the size of the Wall you need to cover it", rather than trying to figure out "ok, how many Walls do I need to make this flat section, then this section, then that one...".
I don't think you need an app, the area of a half-sphere is 2(pi)r^2. So you need a wall with area [(pi)r^2]/6 to make any half-sphere of radius r in yards with the +60% Wall (note that if you plan to stand in the center, r should be at least your height).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. I was trying to find a useful shorthand, but failed to explain that.
That's fine, just wanted to make certain I understood your intent.

Quote:
The thing is, the +60% version of Wall says that you can "form it into any shape you choose". I don't see why that shouldn't include shaping a vertical wall into a curve.
With a battlemap, it's easier to simply do things a hex at a time, as then there's no confusion about exactly where the Wall blocks (with a hemisphere, you're only taking up part of each hex, so it's hard to say if such can be entered/occupied by a character or not). Without a battlemap, I don't think there's likely to be any serious problems with allowing for hemispheres and the like (although I might still require the enclosed area to be 4 yards tall, for more of a hemiellipsoid).

Quote:
In another thread where we were discussing this, I came to the decision that by default, a Wall needs at least one anchor point. If you take the Drifting enhancement, you can create it floating in midair, and "drift" with gravity - i.e., falling down and possibly crushing anyone it lands on. I'd also allow a "Hovering" enhancement for +10%, that let you create the wall at any point, without an anchor, and then it would just stay there without moving.
Thanks, that thread, while not official, gives some pretty solid options. I don't think I'd allow Drifting to cause damage from a fall (although with the low HP of walls - only 1 per 2d - it's unlikely to be a serious problem), however, so I'd be tempted to price it and Hovering at the same value - each has advantages and disadvantages to its use (Drifting can let you drop a line of walls to block off or give protection to an area that is outside of your Range, while Hovering lets you create better aerial barriers/hazards). Maybe call it No Anchor, with Drifting or Hovering in parenthesis. +20% sounds about right.

Also, the mention in that thread of making an ice wall underwater sort of gives me a solution to the underground problem. For the underwater wall, you simply need to give it the Underwater +20% Enhancement. Underground is similar, but of course forming within a solid should be harder than forming in a liquid, so I'm thinking +50% (same as Adding Utility with Cosmic, which also seems about right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't think you need an app, the area of a half-sphere is 2(pi)r^2. So you need a wall with area [(pi)r^2]/6 to make any half-sphere of radius r in yards with the +60% Wall (note that if you plan to stand in the center, r should be at least your height).
An app or spreadsheet or similar might speed things up compared to inputting that in a calculator (although rounding that down to (r^2)/2 would probably get you close enough and be quick to do). Additionally, sometimes you might want something other than a hemisphere, in which case an app might be useful. Still, while spheres and the like may be doable, I honestly favor the hex approach, so I'll stick with that.

So, here's how I think things should work for each of my questions. Let me know if anything here contradicts RAW.

Height was answered by Bruno in the other thread, and is indeed 4 yards. The +30% version is stuck with walls that are 1 yard thick per 1d and always 4 yards tall (for taller walls, build on top of the initial one), but I think I'll allow the +60% one to be arbitrarily thin, allowing them to be spread out. When doing so, you need to adjust DR and HP linearly.

For shells, I'm going to stick with my hex-based approach. Optionally, when filling in the empty slot on top, you don't need to build an entire second level for the wall - you may instead have each "roof hex" take up two hexes worth of wall, which covers both that section and the connections to the other sections. A Wall that is able to manifest underground (but note this doesn't damage anything down there, and things return to normal once the Wall expires or is destroyed) needs an Enhancement, Underground +50%.

For climbing, you may set a modifier between -4 and +4 as a Feature. If you can choose the modifier when you create the wall, that's a +20% Enhancement. The GM may allow for greater penalties or bonuses - +5% per additional -1 (maximum +30% for -10), +10% for +5 total, +20% for +6 total, or +30% to require no roll (Wall functionally has a built-in ladder). Climbing a sharp wall requires a Climbing roll every second or suffer thr/2 (use climber's HP as ST, damage cannot exceed nominal damage for Innate Attack) cutting damage to the arms. This can be avoided by going at half speed, or by wearing sufficient protection to avoid damage.

Walls are functionally weightless - you need to break through them (at which point the destroyed section ceases to exist) and cannot pick them up.

For hybrid walls, I'd say it should be fine to allow overlap. In fact, I'd simply define part of the Wall's damage as rigid (for determining DR and HP) and part as permeable (for determining damage dealt).

Walls are by default visible but don't impede vision - you don't need to worry about accidentally running into one, but at the same time there's no penalty for looking through one. To change this, you need to Link Obscure (Vision) to the Wall. If you want a truly transparent Wall, I'd argue for Surprise Attack - and if you don't want anyone to notice that you're doing something (even if they can't see the Wall), you'll also need No Signature. Being able to see your own invisible wall (and/or those of your close allies - that is, others in the party) is a Perk.

Walls by default require contact with an "anchor" of some sort - at the very least, they need to be connected to the ground on each end of the wall (or possibly in the middle, provided the result is balanced). Avoiding this requirement calls for an Enhancement, No Anchor +20%. You must choose between No Anchor (Drifting), in which the Wall will drift based on magnetic fields, gravity, or similar (set it when creating the Advantage), and No Anchor (Hovering), in which the Wall will simply hover in a set location in the air. No Anchor (Variable) +30% may also be available, letting you set if a given Wall drifts or hovers when creating it.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
Varyon

Apologies for the necro, but I've been thinking of Walls recently (thanks to the recent thread about making temporary shelters using Powers), and wanted to revisit this.

Quote:
Height was answered by Bruno in the other thread, and is indeed 4 yards. The +30% version is stuck with walls that are 1 yard thick per 1d and always 4 yards tall (for taller walls, build on top of the initial one), but I think I'll allow the +60% one to be arbitrarily thin, allowing them to be spread out. When doing so, you need to adjust DR and HP linearly.
Thickness: Thinking on it further, I think when creating the power, you should set the thickness, choosing one of three options (a further +30% Enhancement lets you set the thickness upon creating the Wall). The default is to have a full yard of thickness, taking up an entire hex. You can also go with half-thickness - this allows a character to be in the same hex as the Wall (but only if approaching from a specific direction, defined when you form the Wall), but is a bit cramped if doing so - -2 to most DX checks, and optionally a DX roll (probably net DX+2 - it would be DX+4, but that -2 reduces it) if attacking, using an Active Defense, or similar while in the same hex as a sharp wall (one made with a cutting or impaling attack). Failure on that DX roll means taking some amount of cutting or impaling damage from bumping into the Wall - perhaps thr/2, using the character's own ST. The last option is to be arbitrarily thin - such a Wall essentially only exists at the barrier between adjacent hexes, preventing one from crossing between the hexes but function not actually taking up space. Roughly speaking, walls that are 2 feet thick or thicker should count as taking up a full hex, walls that are between 2 feet and 1 foot thick should count as taking up half a hex, and walls that are thinner than a foot thick should count as being arbitrarily thin - hereafter just called "thin."

The above is meant for rigid walls, but permeable ones could be given the same treatment. Half-hex permeable walls use the same "cramped" rules as a rigid, sharp wall, but failure on the DX check to avoid bumping into the wall simply does the ability's damage; a character can opt to avoid the DX penalty (and roll) by allowing the wall to damage them normally (useful if you've got sufficient DR, IT:DR, and/or Regeneration to negate the attack).

Spreading Out; Bulking Up: I think being able to spread out to cover a larger area by reducing DR and HP by an appropriate factor (half DR and HP to cover twice as many hexes) is balanced; note doubling your number of Wall Units (to steal a useful term from Kelly Pedersen; hereafter abbreviated WU) makes a full-hex wall take up half a hex or a half-hex wall only take up the border, and tripling WU's makes any Wall only take up the border (border-thickness walls just stay border-thickness).

But... what about doing this in reverse? Could you have two half-hex WU's take up a full hex (meaning an attack has to get through both to cross the hex), or any number of border-thickness WU's fill up a hex? Honestly, I feel this wouldn't really break anything. Note, however, that if you're using Wall multiple times to create such layered defenses, each is assessed separately, not all together - if you stack 3 WU's that each have DR 6 and HP 1, doing it as part of one use of Wall results in a DR 18, HP 3 Wall, while creating three such Walls with separate Maneuvers just creates 3 Walls that each have DR 6 and HP 1. (EDIT: I've changed my mind - Bulking Up is no longer an option, you need to pay for the maximum Cover DR each WU can provide; you can layer WU's during a single use of Wall, but this just creates multiple Walls, it doesn't combine their DR and HP).

In either case, you must set any thinning out/bulking up upon creating the ability if you have Wall +30%, but can change this upon use if you have Wall +60%.

Orientation: On a related note, something I didn't properly address in the thread was the idea of laying a Wall on its side, so that each WU is 4 yards wide but only 1 yard tall. Honestly, I think this is acceptable - you get to cover more distance, but the Wall is much easier to bypass (by simply jumping over it) and only gives partial cover, unless you stack units (which I'd allow even for permeable Walls - you could use 2 WU's to create a wall of fire that is 4 yards long and 2 yards tall). For the +30% version of Wall, you must set the orientation of each Wall Unit when designing the power; for the +60% version, you can set this upon actually creating the Wall.

Related to this, what happens if you try to get through a WU through the thickest part (an attack from above/below for one oriented normally, an attack from the narrow side for one laying on its side)? My inclination is to treat the Wall as having 4x as much DR (and granting 4x as much Cover DR). This isn't quite accurate for thinner Walls, but is probably more fair and gameable (although given a thinner Wall can be avoided more readily, perhaps it would be fine to use its effective DR/inch).

Quote:
For shells, I'm going to stick with my hex-based approach. Optionally, when filling in the empty slot on top, you don't need to build an entire second level for the wall - you may instead have each "roof hex" take up two hexes worth of wall, which covers both that section and the connections to the other sections.
Roofs: This wasn't thought out properly - using up two WU's per roof hex would be more expensive than just stacking WU's on the perimeter for any shell that wasn't rather small; the two WU's per roof hex is more for when creating a shell that covers a single hex. Rather, it should be that every 6 WU's you "skip" by curving things a bit costs 1 WU. Note such roofs are probably most efficiently created by orienting the involved WU's on their sides.

Quote:
A Wall that is able to manifest underground (but note this doesn't damage anything down there, and things return to normal once the Wall expires or is destroyed) needs an Enhancement, Underground +50%.
Giving it further thought, honestly I think Underground isn't really any more useful than Underwater, so +20% is probably fair.

Quote:
For climbing, you may set a modifier between -4 and +4 as a Feature. If you can choose the modifier when you create the wall, that's a +20% Enhancement. The GM may allow for greater penalties or bonuses - +5% per additional -1 (maximum +30% for -10), +10% for +5 total, +20% for +6 total, or +30% to require no roll (Wall functionally has a built-in ladder). Climbing a sharp wall requires a Climbing roll every second or suffer thr/2 (use climber's HP as ST, damage cannot exceed nominal damage for Innate Attack) cutting damage to the arms. This can be avoided by going at half speed, or by wearing sufficient protection to avoid damage.
As you can probably just create a Wall beneath you or whoever is trying to climb something to raise them up, and an easily-climbable Wall isn't great for defense, making a Wall easier to climb is probably alright as a Feature, even up to the level of having a built-in ladder (heck, treating it as having stairs is probably fine). +5% per additional -1 beyond the free -4 is probably fine, though.

[BREAK FOR CHARACTER LIMIT]

Last edited by Varyon; 12-01-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #10
Varyon

[RESUMED FROM PREVIOUS POST]

Quote:
Walls are functionally weightless - you need to break through them (at which point the destroyed section ceases to exist) and cannot pick them up.
So... I was working under the assumption that each WU is destroyed upon reaching 0 HP, but I don't actually see that mentioned in the books, implying they should function like any other homogenous wall (having a breach at HP 0, risking destruction at -1xHP, and automatically collapsing at -5xHP). Which brings us to...

Wall HP: The rules from the book are pretty clearly meant to result in a Wall that grants Cover DR equal to 3.5 per die of Innate Attack. It does this by giving a Wall DR 3 per die and HP 0.5 per die. However, a Homogenous object (which a Wall should be) only grants' 1/4th of its HP as Cover DR. My solution here would be to actually give the Wall HP 2 per die - this still results in the same Cover DR (3.5/die) and makes Walls behave like Homogenous objects; it does have the side effect of making them more resilient - if you find that problematic, consider treating them as I did previously, where they are automatically destroyed at 0 HP (this skips having to deal with breaches, death checks, etc in exchange for making the Wall be automatically destroyed at the equivalent of -3xHP, compared to the RAW HP values). Note I'd also treat each yard of Wall as a separate entity.

To be able to model real materials with more fidelity, consider an option to sacrifice some DR to have higher HP. So that Cover DR remains the same, this means every -1 to DR is +4 to HP. That seems like a pretty impressive exchange rate, but - particularly if you opt to have the Wall be automatically destroyed at 0 HP - you're essentially trading in DR for DR (Ablative), which would have a 1-to-5 exchange rate. You might also allow the trade to go the other way, sacrificing 4 HP for +1 to DR, to a minimum of HP 0 (which means if any damage gets past DR, the Wall collapses). So, a 4d IA that gets turned into a Rigid Wall would have DR 12 and HP 8 (granting Cover DR 14). You could instead make it DR 0 and HP 56, DR 14 and HP 0, or somewhere in between these two extremes (all of which give the same Cover DR 14). The DR and HP must be set when the ability is created, although being able to adjust upon use might be available as a +30% Enhancement.

Wall Weight: I previously made Walls weightless but immovable, and I feel this should still be an option. However, with the HP adjustments above, allowing Walls to have weight can also be an option - simply base it on their HP as a homogenous object (divide HP by 8 and cube the result). Having weight and movable or being weightless and immovable must be set when the power is designed; being able to adjust this upon use would probably be worth a +20% Enhancement.

Quote:
Walls are by default visible but don't impede vision - you don't need to worry about accidentally running into one, but at the same time there's no penalty for looking through one. To change this, you need to Link Obscure (Vision) to the Wall. If you want a truly transparent Wall, I'd argue for Surprise Attack - and if you don't want anyone to notice that you're doing something (even if they can't see the Wall), you'll also need No Signature. Being able to see your own invisible wall (and/or those of your close allies - that is, others in the party) is a Perk.
So, I'm... pretty torn about this. On the one hand, it seems like the default use of Wall for a Rigid, Crushing Wall would be something like a wall of stone, which would obviously impede vision. The issue there, of course, is that it makes Wall into a sort of discount Obscure - any rigid wall automatically functions like Obscure 10 (probably with Extended, as stone blocks more than just the visible spectrum). Of course, Obscure (Wall) wouldn't normally able to be circumvented by destroying it. Here's what I'm thinking...

Visibility: Walls are by default visible but do not impede vision. To change this, you must give it Link +10% (+20% if you want to be able to set if it impedes or doesn't impede vision), and also have Linked (+10%) Obscure with the same version of Wall, the same radius Area Effect, and the same Duration as your Wall itself. That Obscure will also have a Limitation - Destroyable - which means destruction (or sufficient damage to cause a breach, if not having your Walls be destroyed at 0 HP) of the Wall it is Linked to also dispels the Obscuring effect there. For Permeable Walls, this is -20%, while for Rigid Walls, it is -40%. Most Walls that are meant to be made of real materials will have Obscure 10 (Vision), often with Extended (and a GM may rule that any Wall that blocks Infravision also serves as a thermal insulator).

Soundproofing, Scentproofing, etc: Obscure for more than Vision is certainly an option for a Wall. Obscure (Sound) will muffle or outright prevent sounds from traveling through it, while Obscure (Smell) does the same for scents - and the GM may allow that to prevent gas attacks and the like from crossing through.

Quote:
Walls by default require contact with an "anchor" of some sort - at the very least, they need to be connected to the ground on each end of the wall (or possibly in the middle, provided the result is balanced). Avoiding this requirement calls for an Enhancement, No Anchor +20%. You must choose between No Anchor (Drifting), in which the Wall will drift based on magnetic fields, gravity, or similar (set it when creating the Advantage), and No Anchor (Hovering), in which the Wall will simply hover in a set location in the air. No Anchor (Variable) +30% may also be available, letting you set if a given Wall drifts or hovers when creating it.
I think this works as-is, but it brings us to our final (for now) option:

Bridges: Particularly when placed on their sides, Walls can be used to create temporary bridges to cross chasms, dangerous/unstable terrain, etc. However, each yard traversed on the bridge causes damage to that section of Wall. Characters going faster than Move/5 deal thr cr (as per Trampling*), those going faster than Move/15 (up to Move/5) deal thr/2 cr, and those going Move/15 or slower deal thr/4 cr; it's usually best to simply use average damage, but if a character is going over a section that might collapse if damage were rolled, it may be more dramatic to roll for it. If a section does collapse, the character may make a DX roll to jump to safety - success means they get away from the collapsing section safely and deal thr cr to the section they land on (regardless of how slowly they were moving before), failure means they fall (a generous GM may allow for a second roll to catch themselves, dealing thr cr to the next section and leaving the character dangling from the side rather than standing atop it). Humorously, the character gets to try again if their jump breaks that section - you could technically have a character doing this the entire way, jumping to safety as the bridge collapses beneath them. If a bridge suffers a full break, sections unsupported by anything beneath them that are adjacent to that break start collapsing - one second after the break, 1d6 yards break off, continuing until all unsupported sections are destroyed. Optionally, any section that isn't supported beneath (but is on a wide enough bridge that one break won't make the whole thing collapse) loses half its DR and remaining HP per adjacent broken section. As a further option, if the character dealt less than twice the damage needed to break a section, the DX check to get to safety is at +2, while if he/she dealt 4x or more the damage, the DX check is at -2.
Note all of this applies to roofs as well - simply treat a roof as a bridge.

Slippery Slope: As for Climbing, it's possible to make a bridge that is easier or harder to traverse. You can set traction to grant between +1 and -1 to DX checks to retain balance (and similar checks, such as Control Rolls, may also be affected) at no charge. Each further +1 is +10%, to a maximum of +4. Each further -1 is also +10%, to a maximum penalty of -4. As usual, this must be set when the power is created for Wall +30%, but can be adjusted for Wall +60%, within the limits of the power - but you may actually set different sections of the Wall to have different modifiers. For penalties, you must specify what type of bad terrain it mimics - appropriate Terrain Adaptation negates the penalty.

No Speedsters Allowed: Optionally, if a character is going faster than their Basic Move (such as if Sprinting, or using Enhanced Move), increase their effective Trampling damage to the bridge. I'd personally be inclined to go with x1.5 for Enhanced Move 1 (x2 to Move), x2 for EM 2 (x4), x3 for EM 3, x4 for EM 4, x5 for EM 5, etc. Sprinting (x1.2 to Move) would be x1.1, while EM 0.5 (x1.5 to Move) would be x1.2.

*Note this is different from RPK's previously-linked suggestion of using fall damage from 1 yard for an absolute limit. If you prefer that, simply replace thr with the damage for such a fall, above - so walking at Move/5 deals half the damage of a 1 yard fall, for example.

I'll note here that this is all how I feel Walls should work, and how I intend to handle them - I am making no claim that the above matches the RAW, although knowing how far off I am in some places (like laying Walls on their side, or requiring Obscure to make opaque walls) would be useful.

Last edited by Varyon; 11-29-2021 at 05:32 PM. Reason: making no claim, not making to claim... whatever that would mean

Tags
homogenous, wall