Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-26-2021, 08:03 PM   #31
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

Default Re: Question - can dice be required on low-risk moves?

It's an integral part of step 3, and I think parsing the yellow dice out separately as "speed dice" is the problem (or a philosophical difference, at the very least). Adding in yellow dice for speed AND adding dice based on the turning key are two parts that must be combined to determine the difficulty of a maneuver. The way I wrote step 3 encompasses the whole process.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #32
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
It's an integral part of step 3…
I understand that it is meant to be, but it is not literally there.
Quote:
…I think parsing the yellow dice out separately as "speed dice" is the problem (or a philosophical difference, at the very least).
I do not disagree.
Quote:
Adding in yellow dice for speed AND adding dice based on the turning key are two parts that must be combined to determine the difficulty of a maneuver.
I understand that. You and I are both hoping for a second printing, and we both agree that there is an opportunity for an improved explanation of these mechanics from RAW. Emphasis added to your next line:
Quote:
The way I wrote step 3 encompasses the whole process.
I am not understanding how/why you believe this to be the case. At the risk of appearing argumentative, I will take the liberty go line-by-line through your step 3 from the first page of this thread (emphasis added):
Quote:
3) Add any dice required by the difficulty of the maneuver you just completed.
This is clearly just the 1-4 dice from D1 through D4 on the Turning Key. That understanding is reinforced by steps 1 and 2 also being strictly additive.
Quote:
If your intended maneuver was shortened (by a collision, for example), only add dice for the difficulty of the maneuver you actually performed.
Nothing in this line about driving roll or yellow dice from speed.
Quote:
Note that driving straight and slight turns are not maneuvers, so they do not contribute to your driving roll.
This line mentions the driving roll, but only in the context of circumstances that do not add (i.e., contribute). This note reinforces an understanding that step 3 is only about adding dice from the Turning Key.

I agree that the way you wrote steps 1-5 encompasses the whole process.
Quote:
This is pretty much the exact wording I intend to use, though.
I am of the opinion that these revised instructions can be improved by explicit inclusion of the yellow dice from speed.

Last edited by beetle496; 11-27-2021 at 07:27 AM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #33
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

Take the words "the difficulty of" out of step 3.

3) Add any dice required by the maneuver you just completed.

Now can we drop this? You are adamantly arguing about something I wrote off the cuff in a forum post, which is NOT something I'd refer back to when actually writing rule revisions.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote