Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #21
panton41

Default Re: GCA In Linux

I've found on newer versions of Wine (1.1.x) the built-in riched20.dll works well enough to get it running, but not well enough to allow printing the character sheet (the a blank sheet goes from 2 pages to 6 and the boxes are scattered all over). And, ironically, installing a native version of it causes a crash, so right now you can edit characters, but need either an older version of Wine or running GCA natively under Windows (perhaps in a virtual machine) to be able to print.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #22
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Note that this part is legally a bit of a gray area, as you're copying files Microsoft has licensed for use in Windows off of your Windows install. However, if you have a legitimate copy of Windows for the computer you're also running Linux on, you're probably within your rights to copy those files to the Linux partition. Copying from one computer onto another which you don't have a Windows license for is likely not allowed under the license.
Why is using files that were bought for one's personal use for personal use only considered illegal in this case? Isn't it like using a VCR to record a fav show for personal use only?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #23
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Obligatory addition: GCB runs under Wine just great, without any fiddling.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #24
panton41

I should update my last post. GCA works fine under Wine and the problem is identical under Windows, but basically if there's no printer installed GCA isn't happy and messes up the display. The problem is, apparently, that Wine doesn't send GCA the proper printer metrics for it to lay out the sheet.

As an aside, I recently installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix and the latest Wine (1.1.31) and now GCA runs a little faster under Wine than it did natively on Windows 7 (and XP).

Edit: The problem lies in that the Windows native riched20 is incompatible with the Wine riched32. The fix to get GCA working perfectly now is to install oleaut32, riched20 AND (the new thing) riched32. Once that's done everything works fine.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 12-03-2009 at 11:04 AM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Why is using files that were bought for one's personal use for personal use only considered illegal in this case? Isn't it like using a VCR to record a fav show for personal use only?
When you buy Windows, you're not buying the files. You're only buying the right to use the files in a prescribed manner. This is why it's called a "license." You never actually "own" the software. Most commercial software works this way.

I believe the licenses for Windows all have a clause or ten about not using Windows files for anything except running one copy of Windows.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #26
LordHelmet

I've got a problem with the latest version of Phoenix' Character Sheet (1.33) working properly under Ubuntu 9.10.

Everything seems fine except one thing.
When I go to:
Character Sheet Options - select the phoenix sheet - select the section 'Defense Options' and choose 'Armor diagram/paper doll' from the 'Print damage resistance' row

than it is not possible to use any QuickView Sheet nor to print a preview using any sheet.
When I try to switch between the pages of the QuickView I get the following error:
modPreviewSheet:DrawPreviewPage: Error 0:

It says something about the necessity of having a printer installed. But I have tried both the PDF-Printer and the Lexmark printer but it does not work and this has never been an issue before.

Any suggestions?
LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #27
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmet View Post
I've got a problem with the latest version of Phoenix' Character Sheet (1.33) working properly under Ubuntu 9.10.
What was the last version of Phoenix that worked for you, 1.32 or earlier?

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #28
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards View Post
What was the last version of Phoenix that worked for you, 1.32 or earlier?
Version 1.31 worked for sure.
I didn't use 1.32, cause I missed that one (If it is any use for you to validate that 1.32 was working I need a source where I can still download it to run a test).
LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #29
tmedwards

That's about what I thought you'd say. There's no need for you to try 1.32, as the difference between it and 1.33 is minimal. The last major changes to the armor diagram/paper-doll mode of the Defenses block, and the sheet in general, were between 1.31 and 1.32. The only thing that could be causing the issue would be the code for the new shield arc diagram, which was added to the armor diagram/paper-doll mode with 1.32. I don't see how the shield arc diagram would affect anyone though.

To track this down I'm going to need you to try some test sheets for me, if you don't mind. I'll send you a PM with the details about that.

I should also try to replicate this myself. What version of Wine are you using? (update: installing Wine 1.1.32 on Fedora 12 now)

Last edited by tmedwards; 01-07-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Wine version update
Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #30
tmedwards

There seems to be a problem with GCA's shield arc code in certain versions and/or configurations of Wine. To my knowledge, Phoenix is currently the only sheet that makes use of the shield arc code, so it's the only sheet suffering this crash risk.

Long term: I'll have to try to figure out why the shield arc code is breaking in Wine. Is it a configuration/install issue, a version issue, a bug, or some combination of those. I'd like to ask users of GCA under Wine to try the shield arc code in Phoenix to see what happens; just set the Defences block to its armor diagram/paper-doll mode and report if it crashes or not.

Short term: For the upcoming release of Phoenix 1.34, which will likely happen much sooner than I'd planned (perhaps tomorrow), I'll release a standard version and a no-shield-arc version, as a work-around for people affected by this issue.

Tags
linux