Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Bathawk

Default "trap" powers

i was wondering if anyone knew how to "build" a trap power?

An example of a "trap" would be like whenin "The Dark Knight" a thug tried to remove Batman's mask and got tasered.....Batman couldn't use that to "tase" villains in combat as it required a very specific action on the part of an opponent

I'm assuming "reflexive" would be a requirement, and if the "trap" had a ranged component it would need some way to target the victim (guided/homing) as I understand it, reflexive allows a power to go off on it's own volition, even if not the characters turn, but can't decide/aim/ect;

Also would it be different based on the action? for example the difference of a trap going off if a bad guy tried to hold a trapped gun....or only if the trapped gun is attempted to be fired?

any help would be appreciated, as well as if you can point me to the reference source

Last edited by Bathawk; 01-25-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: "trap" powers

This is just a Taser built into his mask. Not exactly a "power" here.

You could use Trigger for anything built with points, though.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

My gut would be to use aura rather than reflexive. Then limit it to only trigger when the given action is taken.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Bathawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
My gut would be to use aura rather than reflexive. Then limit it to only trigger when the given action is taken.
How much of a percentage would that be? if gun is used -30%, only when non owener touches gun -20% ect?
Old 01-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

If you can use it offensively, such as by hitting them with the gun, I'd just use hit location limitations given for DR (or really, all defenses). This boils down to -10%/ -1 to hit. I don't like that system, but its the proper system to use.

If you can't use it offensively, its probably an accessibility limitation. Work out with your GM.

Unless you're using multiplicative modifiers, this ability is probably more expensive than its worth.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
Bathawk

wasn't there something in Psionics, that allowed you to reflexively "attacK' someone who unsuccessfuly tried to read your mind? could the same principle apply here?

--Russell
Old 01-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
wellspring

Yeah I'd think that it would be truer to the genre that you buy it as a power that protects your identity, with the taser or whatever as an incidental side effect that acts as a speed bump against your identity being revealed. That is, the ID protecting aspect is more important than the GM's mechanics of what serendipitous or "All According To Plan" event kicks in to ensure your identity is protected.

This way, also, you get all the effects of your character having had layers of ridiculous backup plans to preserve your secret identity without the player having to work out, write up, and pay for all of them. So the player just invests points in something happening, without getting too bogged down in mapping out every eventuality herself. At the appropriate moment, the GM and player work out a thematically appropriate plot twist that keeps her hero's secret. Obviously, you'd then have to work out some mechanic that allows the BBEG to defeat that secrecy, but it should be enough that random mooks and curious NPCs can't penetrate the disguise, or if they do, that it happens under circumstances where the overall secret is preserved.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
Culture20

How would you model stationary traps that aren't physically connected to a person but instead are placed, like claymore mines, magic sigils, or sleeping powder spores?
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
Anders

Some kind of Persistent, probably. A problem is to make it so that they can't spam thousands of traps.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
How would you model stationary traps that aren't physically connected to a person but instead are placed, like claymore mines, magic sigils, or sleeping powder spores?
That is what Triggered Delay is for.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote