Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
miffy

Default Help with organising cards in play

My niece has recently introduced our family to Munchkin and we love it. I'm just not sure if she has taught us the correct rules with where different cards go. When we are dealt our initial cards, she had told us that all treasure cards (items with bonus points, curse cards, cards to give bonus points in combat, go up a level cards) are to be put on the table immediately, and then we can use them as we choose to throughout the game. The ones that don't apply for example a bonus for an Elf only she told us to place sideways in case we become an Elf later in the game.

She also told us to put down all race and class cards and if there were more than one race or class she said to put the others sideways and that we could interchange these during the game.

After reading some of these posts, it sounds like my niece has given us the wrong info.

Am I right in thinking that with race and class cards, you can only put one down on the table and if you have any others, they have to stay in your hand and if you want to use them later, you must discard the one on the table and replace it with the one in your hand?

With the treasure cards such as curses, wishing rings, one use only bonus cards for combat - do they all have to stay in your hand too until you want to use them?

It's just a bit confusing because I know you can only have 5 cards in your hand. It says if you have more than 5 you have to play them or give them away. But playing them in this case doesn't just mean putting it on the table to use later does it? Particularly with the cards that give you one time use bonuses in battle, can they sit on the table during the game or must they stay in your hand?

I hope I've made sense with this question. Just want to be totally clear on the rules before we get into any wrong habits.

Thanks
miffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: Help with organising cards in play

Firstly, welcome to Munchkin!
Secondly, let me see if I can adequately address your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy View Post
My niece has recently introduced our family to Munchkin and we love it. I'm just not sure if she has taught us the correct rules with where different cards go. When we are dealt our initial cards, she had told us that all treasure cards (items with bonus points, curse cards, cards to give bonus points in combat, go up a level cards) are to be put on the table immediately, and then we can use them as we choose to throughout the game. The ones that don't apply for example a bonus for an Elf only she told us to place sideways in case we become an Elf later in the game.
Actually, you only put item cards on the table face up that represent items you are equipping. You can wear one Footgear, one Headgear, one Armor, and two "hands" worth of items (either a two-handed weapon or two one-handed weapons for example). You can also put any item (has a gold piece value on the card) sideways which represents items that you do not have equipped. This is a good place for that sword you might want to sell or trade later or for one-use items like potions.

Quote:
She also told us to put down all race and class cards and if there were more than one race or class she said to put the others sideways and that we could interchange these during the game.

After reading some of these posts, it sounds like my niece has given us the wrong info.

Am I right in thinking that with race and class cards, you can only put one down on the table and if you have any others, they have to stay in your hand and if you want to use them later, you must discard the one on the table and replace it with the one in your hand?
You are correct.

Quote:
With the treasure cards such as curses, wishing rings, one use only bonus cards for combat - do they all have to stay in your hand too until you want to use them?

It's just a bit confusing because I know you can only have 5 cards in your hand. It says if you have more than 5 you have to play them or give them away. But playing them in this case doesn't just mean putting it on the table to use later does it? Particularly with the cards that give you one time use bonuses in battle, can they sit on the table during the game or must they stay in your hand?
This is partially correct. See my first answer above.

I hope my answers are helpful. If you have any more questions, this forum is a great place for answers.

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 05-06-2014 at 09:16 AM. Reason: removed game-unofficial terms
MIB.6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Jessie's reply is good, but he omits one key piece of information: An Item is a card with a Gold Piece value at the bottom, or the phrase "No Value." If a card doesn't have a Gold Piece value on it, it is not an Item and you cannot play it to the table unless it also has a permanent bonus (such as Really Impressive Title and Hireling).

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
miffy

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Will make it a bit more challenging too I think having to decide on the best 5 cards to keep in your hand. So in your hand you might have monsters, curse cards, bonus one use cards for battle, extra race or class cards. I guess that's where the strategy comes in - deciding the best things to keep.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

One other note: the only time your hand size matters is at the very end of YOUR turn. The rest of the time, there's no restriction.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
miffy

Two final questions - With your items you're equipping yourself with, say for example you have an item that is for 2 Hands and another item that is for 1 Hand, I could put the 2 Hands item on the table that I'm using and the other 1 Hand item sideways in case I want to use that later or sell it, is that correct? I can still sell this sideways item if I want to or I believe I can also interchange it with the 2 Hands item if that suits me during a battle? Are these interchangeable throughout the game or do they get discarded at any point like race or class cards?

Finally, I think I read somewhere that Big items are treated differently. I know you can only use 1 Big item so if you have 2 Big items can one be placed sideways on the table or is that not allowed? If not allowed, does that have to remain in your hand or sell it etc?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Two final questions - With your items you're equipping yourself with, say for example you have an item that is for 2 Hands and another item that is for 1 Hand, I could put the 2 Hands item on the table that I'm using and the other 1 Hand item sideways in case I want to use that later or sell it, is that correct? I can still sell this sideways item if I want to or I believe I can also interchange it with the 2 Hands item if that suits me during a battle? Are these interchangeable throughout the game or do they get discarded at any point like race or class cards?
When you are in battle is the only time you can't change the Items you are using. You cannot choose to discard Items, even if you want to, unless you are using the card to power a discard ability or you are selling the Item for a level.

Quote:
Finally, I think I read somewhere that Big items are treated differently. I know you can only use 1 Big item so if you have 2 Big items can one be placed sideways on the table or is that not allowed? If not allowed, does that have to remain in your hand or sell it etc?
You can only have one Big item on the table (unless you are a Dwarf or use a Cheat! or Hireling to let you have an extra one). Other Big items must stay in your hand. You can sell them if you want, since you're allowed to sell from your hand.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
miffy

Thanks for the help - I'll have to re-educate my niece now :-)
Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

Quote:
You can have both Items in play. You can interchange them whenever your want (so long as you're not in combat), but you can't discard Items just because you want to. You either have to trade an Item, sell it, or discard it to power a special ability or to "feed" a Curse or Bad Stuff.

Quote:
You can only carry (i.e., have in play) one Big Item. Your carried Items includes Items you are using and those you are not using (the ones you would turn sideways). This means that you can have a Big Item turned sideways, but that doesn't mean you could bring another one in to play to use.

If you're interested in checking out the rules, the most recent versions for every core set and expansion that has rules are available online, for free, at http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:36 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

The rules define cards that are in play as showing what Race and class you are, and what Items you are carrying. Therefore all cards in play must be visible to all players and face up. Anything on the table, but face down, should be considered in your hand, and count against your hand limit during the Charity phase.

The term "packed" does not exist in the game, so please don't use it here, especially on the 101 forum. I can infer that you mean unused Items in this case, but that is not what others have intended when talking about such a term in the past, so we highly discourage using it to avoid confusing new players. All Item cards put into play represent carried Items. Of your carried Items, some are used (or equipped), some are unused (or unequipped). Your unused Items must be turned sideways.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote