Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default Forcefield DR bubble as survival shelter

Using the rules in powers for creating a forcefield DR bubble that can encompass an area, how effective would such a bubble be as a survival shelter without any other advantages or abilities? Would it stop rain? Wind? How much insulation could it provide? Keep out critters?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:19 AM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Forcefield DR bubble as survival shelter

A lot of that would be built instead as Sealed with those modifiers. DR particularly would stop any critter who's max thrust + 1/die was less than DR, though (since they aren't strong enough to pierce it with an attack and animals are assumed to have Brawling high enough for the damage bonus). Do both with maybe like DR3 would make for a great, moveable shelter.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:45 AM   #3
Aldric

Without sealed and temperature tolerance/control I don't think it would be a very good shelter against anything that's not a direct attack.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:04 AM   #4
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Without sealed and temperature tolerance/control I don't think it would be a very good shelter against anything that's not a direct attack.
Oh, right, I always forget that one.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
Anaraxes

If you're going to be high in the mountains, or if you want to shelter after getting tossed out of the spaceship airlock, you'll want Vacuum Support and probably Doesn't Breathe (while not literally true, it's an easier build than trying to come up with some sort of literal create air ability). If you're going to get shoved out of the submarine airlock (or torpedo tube), then Pressure Support.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
A lot of that would be built instead as Sealed with those modifiers.
Would sealed keep the weather at bay? Wind, precipitation, etc?
Also wouldn't sealed with those modifiers keep things like smoke clouds at bay as well?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
I think it would be a good protection against basic wind and rain. Maybe even bugs.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Anthony

While there are exceptions, the default rule is always "the enhancement doesn't do anything it doesn't say it does". Thus, a forcefield DR bubble protects you from the environment in the same way that ordinary DR protects you from the environment. Which is not zero, it probably does affect wind chill factor, but isn't terribly significant (whether it protects you from rain is unclear, because rain normally doesn't penetrate skin).
Old 10-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
Using the rules in powers for creating a forcefield DR bubble that can encompass an area, how effective would such a bubble be as a survival shelter without any other advantages or abilities? Would it stop rain? Wind? How much insulation could it provide? Keep out critters?
It would deflect rain. While technically there's no reason why it would stop wind, seeing as how it isn't air tight I would rule that it would cut down the strength of wind. It would provide no insulation at all but it would keep out any solid thign that couldn't do more than the DR's worth of damage.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #10
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
If you're going to be high in the mountains, or if you want to shelter after getting tossed out of the spaceship airlock, you'll want Vacuum Support and probably Doesn't Breathe (while not literally true, it's an easier build than trying to come up with some sort of literal create air ability). If you're going to get shoved out of the submarine airlock (or torpedo tube), then Pressure Support.
Create Air with Reduced Cost 2 and No Roll Required is only like 9pts. A SOP perk could let you say it is always filled with air and an enhancement could likely let it run even while you sleep. Doesn't Breathe is definitely cute but might be a little expensive for the end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It would deflect rain. While technically there's no reason why it would stop wind, seeing as how it isn't air tight I would rule that it would cut down the strength of wind. It would provide no insulation at all but it would keep out any solid thign that couldn't do more than the DR's worth of damage.
What would probably make the most sense is that enough wind that would cause knockback would affect the forcefield instead of anything inside.