Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #11
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Dagger used as main gauche

I read this as a descriptive clause, not a list. ITL pg 111 "The left-hand dagger, or main-gauche, acts as a shield..."

That is, it is describing the main-gauche as a left hand weapon. It is not listing all the weapons that can act as a shield. The point being, there is no "left-hand dagger" other than the main-gauche.

If you want a dagger in your left hand, then see rules for using two weapons. Without skills, it will be -6 DX for doing 2 attacks and no defensive bonus. See ITL pg 111.
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #12
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
I read this as a descriptive clause, not a list. ITL pg 111 "The left-hand dagger, or main-gauche, acts as a shield..."

That is, it is describing the main-gauche as a left hand weapon. It is not listing all the weapons that can act as a shield. The point being, there is no "left-hand dagger" other than the main-gauche.

If you want a dagger in your left hand, then see rules for using two weapons. Without skills, it will be -6 DX for doing 2 attacks and no defensive bonus. See ITL pg 111.
But ITL 41 (the two-weapon skill) explicitly mentions the dagger and also the main-gauche:

Quote:
Any character can fight with two weapons at once – if one of the weapons is a dagger, main-gauche, or spike shield, or if some
combination like net-and-trident or two cesti is being used.
I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong, but it sure looks to me like the talent includes both dagger and main-gauche as possibilities for any fighter to two-hand. Hence, they don't come with a DX -6 penalty, but a DX -4.

Lars, of course, has a point that RAW is not entirely explicit on this. So far, the question hasn't really come up in my game anyway, so I doubt it makes a significant difference in play.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #13
larsdangly

At the risk of being repetitive, I think the obvious answer is to declare any left handed dagger to be, functionally, a main gauche and just overlook the $10 and 5 oz. differences in listed properties.

Edit: I consider it a minor miracle that after ~2 years of online posts and errata we have a clear understanding of RAW for the main gauche; the last thing we need is to confuse the matter further by having different rules for something so similar that we would have difficulty defining the difference!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
But ITL 41 (the two-weapon skill) explicitly mentions the dagger and also the main-gauche
Good point.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #15
phiwum

Quote:
Good point.
I think it's a good point too, but it's Helborn who initially quoted the rule and gets the credit.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #16
larsdangly

note the ITL p. 41 statement isn't really consistent with the section on left handed weapons on p.111; the former says fighting with two weapons is disallowed without the talent unless one is a dagger, main gauche or spike shield, whereas the latter says in that case you penalty is -6.

A related issue: what is the penalty for making a single attack with you left hand, not in combination with an attack with your right? I've played this game a long time and I'm not sure I've seen an official rule.

Last edited by larsdangly; 10-01-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #17
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
note the ITL p. 41 statement isn't really consistent with the section on left handed weapons on p.111; the former says fighting with two weapons is disallowed without the talent unless one is a dagger, main gauche or spike shield, whereas the latter says in that case you penalty is -6.

A related issue: what is the penalty for making a single attack with you left hand, not in combination with an attack with your right? I've played this game a long time and I'm not sure I've seen an official rule.
I don't know an official rule, but obviously it comes up when fighters holding a torch in the left hand fight a beast.

I've been using a -4 DX penalty for these situations, figuring fighting off-hand isn't as bad as trying to strike with two weapons without training. I've also been assuming that in HTH, there is no penalty for using a main-gauche in the left hand. Both of these are my attempt to interpret the missing bits.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #18
larsdangly

The LH attack is sort of an issue because there are several ways in which your RH can get disabled. I agree a flat -4 penalty makes as much sense as anything else. Though it seems silly to have such a penalty for a boxer's 'jab' when that is actually a high-odds attack. Personally, I think natural, simple sorts of motions (punches, kicks, dagger thrusts) should not have a favored handedness.

Once upon a time I feel like it was a stipulated in RAW that in HTH you could either do one attack (unarmed or with an allowed weapon) at +4, or two attacks at normal adjDX (two punches, two daggers, a punch and a dagger, etc.). I think this is still true in Legacy Edition, but somehow I find it harder to find the places in the text where this is spelled out in black and white.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #19
Axly Suregrip

Legacy Melee pg 13 "A fighter may not use two daggers, or a main-gauche and dagger, in HTH combat."

I think the intent is you are grappling with the other hand.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:28 AM   #20
hcobb

Quote:
Legacy Melee pg 13 "A fighter may not use two daggers, or a main-gauche and dagger, in HTH combat."
Thanks, noted as a difference.

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/legacy_first.html#Combat