Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Molotail questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The reason for the -1 per MH range penalty (on ITL p.124, not 24), is not that molotails are more accurate than other thrown weapons. They are not.

It's that the throw is a lob targeted at the floor of a hex. It's not trying to hit a particular person directly.

If you wanted to hit a specific figure rather than the hex they're in, the difficulty of doing that would be like trying to hit them with other thrown weapons.
Thank you. That makes sense now.

On another note: if you are trying to throw a molotail over a 2 megahex high wall, are you at -2DX to do this?

Also, did we ever come up with rules on setting things on fire (non-magically), like torching houses or brush?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #12
larsdangly

I feel like range penalties for thrown objects, overall, are just far more complicated and variable than necessary; there are many divergent rules, depending on what is being thrown, and many examples where the penalties seem too great or too small. A javelin is almost impossible to throw at anyone more than 20 feet away while a boomarang is as dangerous as a light crossbow.

I feel like the right solution is for ALL thrown weapons to have a -1 per MH range penalty. The end.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
On another note: if you are trying to throw a molotail over a 2 megahex high wall, are you at -2DX to do this?
Megahexes are horizontal.

The vertical to-hit penalty for direct ranged attacks is "-1 DX for every 10
feet of vertical distance", but again you're just trying to get the molotail somewhere over the wall, not hit someone up there.

I would ask them how close to the top of the wall they want to throw it. It would generally not work to try to hit any hex at the same ground level that isn't at least as far from the wall on the opposite side, barring special circumstances like wind. And any more height or strength than needed to do exactly that, would send it even farther over the wall. Missing that sweet spot and throwing lower or lighter would hit the wall instead.

There's also a question of how high and how far they can throw the molotail...

So personally I'd ask them what hex they are trying to hit on the other side of the wall (which they probably can't see?), and apply the wall's height penalty, and then use my understanding of physics to limit and interpret the results.

i.e. In official TFT terms, "use GM discretion".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Also, did we ever come up with rules on setting things on fire (non-magically), like torching houses or brush?
Again, only per GM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote