Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
SClay

Default A "you are what you eat" power?

I have a player that wants to be able to cook meals that allow him to have powers based on the food similar to the MY Hero character Tamaki Amajiki.

I have been thinking of doing it with Morph but am having trouble nailing the point cost down.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
SClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: A "you are what you eat" power?

You could build a Modular Abilities based around what you can get from eating. Since eating is slow and meals can easily be interrupted, that's 3pts for the slots, or 2pts if it has to be nice (Status 3+?) meals, based on Powers p63. Then you and the player just have to figure out what powers make sense with each meal. You could further add a limitation for only three times a day use if it only works with your regular meals (as in, you can't eat extra for the power).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClay View Post
I have a player that wants to be able to cook meals that allow him to have powers based on the food similar to the MY Hero character Tamaki Amajiki.

I have been thinking of doing it with Morph but am having trouble nailing the point cost down.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Control Food. (Control Advantage, Powers pg 90-92, optimized for food, with whatever modifiers needed for your vision of the character.)
Old 09-12-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
jason taylor

That sounds like a kind of sympathetic magic. You eat fish for a power peculiar to Posseidon, bread for Demeter, Olives for Athena.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
Varyon

Morph is certainly the right base. It functions something like Improvised Forms +100% (P75), as he can use aspects of the creatures he eats (like turning his arm into the nose of a swordfish), but I'd argue this is reduced to something like +50% or maybe even +0%, as while he can mix and match, he can only use such aspects, not actually turn into the creatures he's eaten (at least in what I've read of the manga). Having to eat the target is Needs Sample -50%, although that's technically if he needs to have eaten the entire target - you may want to reduce to -30% or so, as he needs to eat a decent amount but not necessarily the whole thing (but certainly more than the drop of blood for -15%). If you think "cooked" doesn't count as "fresh," I could see going down to -20% or so. The fact he can't use anything he's ever eaten, but rather only what he's recently eaten, is Cannot Memorize Forms -50%, although being able to carry the subject around in his stomach for a while arguably makes that a bit less limiting, perhaps to the tune of -40% or so.

That should give you options. Personally, I'd be inclined to have his variant of Improvised Forms at +0%, his Needs Sample at -30%, and his Cannot Memorize Forms at -40%, for a total of -70%. Note actually mimicking Suneater's feats would require a good deal of Reduced Time; indeed, he seems to be able to transform instantly, so that would require Reduced Time 5 +100%, boosting that to +30%, and the baseline Morph costs [130]. You then add a pool; however much is in the pool, his morphs can add up to 111% (1/0.9) of that value worth of abilities (and note that some of the morphs may have associated Disadvantages that keep their cost down, like the swordfish trick basically trading Striker or a Melee Innate Attack for One-Arm).

EDIT: kirbwarrior's Modular Abilities suggestion can also work.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
SClay

Thanks, I hadn't considered Modular ability at first but it does fit very well.
We are not wanting a lot of outward appearance changes at the start (Maybe later) and we are focusing on physical only changes so stat or advantage alterations. all doable within Modular ability.

later down the road he may develop it into Morph. But for now that should do the job well.
SClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
zoncxs

Another way is with Modular Ability limited to body parts only.

Modular Ability (Physical, +50%; Limited, Body Parts Only, -20%; Needs Sample eaten -20%; PM, -10%) [5 +5]

You can shape shift your body parts to mimic any animal you have eaten.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Eating isn't that slow. I can eat an entire meal in 5 minutes if I need to, and speed eaters can eat 60 hotdogs in 5 minutes.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Eating isn't that slow. I can eat an entire meal in 5 minutes if I need to, and speed eaters can eat 60 hotdogs in 5 minutes.
IRL, but Gurps defines eating a meal as half an hour and that's what I was going off of. If the person in question can eat much faster than that for purposes of the power, then it wouldn't be as cheap.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:34 PM   #10
AlexanderHowl

The time for a meal probably includes preparation.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote