Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 PM   #1
Tom H.

Default Writing for the Fantasy Trip

Some people were offering some writing tips and advice in the thread for Hexagram #4.

Those comments were redirected by the administrators to keep the thread on its topic, but I wanted to thank those who posted about the writing topic. There were some valuable contributions.

The user Terquem wanted more confidence to contribute something to a Hexagram and received support from others. I just wanted to add to that that it looks like Terquem has already been contributing a lengthy story appreciated by many to this thread. I think that in itself is a great confidence builder. Good job.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
Shadekeep

Default Re: Writing for the Fantasy Trip

Also, anyone looking to submit should read the Writing for Steve Jackson Games articles, if they haven't already. They are useful to re-read as well, when one has questions about their content or style.

Especially relevant and recommended is Writing for The Fantasy Trip. Very handy stuff.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
Terquem

Thank you for the compliment. Thank you for pointing me to the writing guidelines. I need to print those out and really study them.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
Terquem

After a little homework, it would appear there is not a demand for "just fiction" and efforts might be better applied toward "game useable" written works.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
After a little homework, it would appear there is not a demand for "just fiction" and efforts might be better applied toward "game useable" written works.
In terms of what SJ Games is looking to publish and sell, that's probably accurate. However, it can still be useful to look at adventure writing as "interactive fiction". I do a lot of world building and character design when creating an adventure, essentially forming a narrative that the players can inhabit and shape.

Start with the fiction and flesh that out into an adventure setting. Just be aware that the players, unlike the characters in the story, are unlikely to follow the path you plan. So the adventure design needs to be more flexible and open-ended. Give the GM space to express themself as well. For example, NPCs should have thumbnail descriptions that give the GM a baseline, but they don't need full-page biographies like characters in a novel might.

Above all, let your fiction establish the setting and the people, so it makes them compelling!
Old 02-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #6
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I also think it would make a great product to blend the fiction with the adventure more.

Sure let the players take the product in their own direction, but you can still mix in plenty of actual story as an example and inspiration.

Some of the existing products already have played out combat examples. Who's to say there can't be an actual story to introduce or conclude something like that as well.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
hcobb

I admit that Curse of the Necropus is 90% railroaded story with 10% adventure.

The story itself is mostly about showing how the wartime emergency feudalism has degenerated in the two centuries since the war. Sandra is a pale shadow of the warrior her great^6 grandfather was and has settled into the role of storyteller. It will be a few decades before she realizes that her most important talent is Writing.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
FireHorse

Terquem, for an example of how to mix fiction with gaming, you may want to check out Tales From the Magician's Skull, from Goodman Games. It's a magazine of heroic Swords & Sorcery short stories, in the style of old pulp digests, with an appendix listing game stats (using Goodman's DCC system) for the included stories.

The game information tends to be minimal, just the stats for the monsters in each story (and perhaps a small map), rather than complete ready-made adventure modules. I would compare those appendix entries to Postcard Labyrinths.

And obviously, that concept would work with any game system. (Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more…)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote