Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2020, 02:02 AM   #1
Bill Cipher

Default GCS: an error occured trying to save the file

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading this thread!

So I had some races lying around that I wanted to rename, should be simple, right? but somehow, when I change the name of the race in GCS, I get an error message when I try to save. It specificly says, word for word: "An error occurred while trying to save the file." and I have absolutely no idea why this happens.

I am not doing anything differently compared to before when it *could* save it. I *am* thinking however, that since they were originally created with an older GCS, that the new one can't figure out how to save them properly? or maybe it's something different entirely?

That's why I hope one of you guys can help me out a itty-bit! It would be much appreciated!
"Weee-ll, there is sitting a Archdemon in your wooden bathtub now.."
Bill Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
prospero

Default Re: GCS: an error occured trying to save the file

Looks like GCS (GURPS Character Sheet) has changed file formats.

From the GCS homepage at https://gurpscharactersheet.com/:

Quote:
GCS v4.23 (and newer) can no longer open the old file formats from GCS v4.19.1 and earlier. Before upgrading to a current release of GCS, please make sure you've loaded and re-saved your custom library files and character sheets with GCS v4.22.1 (really, any version from v4.20 up to v4.22.1 will work, but might as well use the last release with support for the old format to ensure the best conversion). You can also do this in bulk via the command line with the --loadsave flag.
There's no guarantee that the error you've encountered is related to this file format change, but I'd certainly try converting the old file to the new file format first.
prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:27 AM   #3
Bill Cipher

Hey-o prosper-o!

I think you are absolutely right about it, I took out an old version of the Gurps GCS and it could update the race without any problems. I guess I have to download the v4.20 or v4.22.1 so I can update those files!

Hopefully this will work.
Thanks a ton bud! I hope you have a wonderful day!
Old 10-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Bill Cipher

Heyo!

I have been trying to use an older Gurps Character Creator (4.20 GCS) to update my races. However, when I have loaded them into the creator and bring them into the new one, it still can't read my race files. Any suggestion?

I put them into the User Library. Anything else I need to do, for it to update the files that are my races?

Any help is appreciated friends! Don't be afraid to ask for more information, I will do my best to provide it!

Last edited by Bill Cipher; 10-17-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
Richard Wilkes

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? If not, I'm happy to help.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
Bill Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilkes View Post
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? If not, I'm happy to help.
Yeah, I am still having trouble - so thanks for reaching out!

What I've tried so far, is to download the older version of the character creator and then open the characters in that program. It didn't seem to affect the files at all however. So I think it's how I get them updated when opening them in the older version of the program, that is my problem? but I am not sure.

Again, thanks a ton of reaching out!
Old 11-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
Richard Wilkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cipher View Post
Yeah, I am still having trouble - so thanks for reaching out!

What I've tried so far, is to download the older version of the character creator and then open the characters in that program. It didn't seem to affect the files at all however. So I think it's how I get them updated when opening them in the older version of the program, that is my problem? but I am not sure.

Again, thanks a ton of reaching out!
Hi, Bill.

So to upgrade for the file format change, the easiest route is to download the converter tool from the main site (https://gurpscharactersheet.com) and have it convert all of your old files. Once you've done that, you should be able to open them in the newest version of GCS without any issue.

If you still have problems after running the converter, then we may need to have a more interactive conversation to resolve it... in that case, pop into the GURPS Discord (there is a link on the main GCS site) and ask for me.

- Rich
Old 11-14-2020, 06:26 AM   #8
Bill Cipher

Quote:
Hi, Bill.

So to upgrade for the file format change, the easiest route is to download the converter tool from the main site (https://gurpscharactersheet.com) and have it convert all of your old files. Once you've done that, you should be able to open them in the newest version of GCS without any issue.

If you still have problems after running the converter, then we may need to have a more interactive conversation to resolve it... in that case, pop into the GURPS Discord (there is a link on the main GCS site) and ask for me.

- Rich
Hiya again Rich!

I just wanted to give ya an update, and it seems the program was able to update the files. It was wonderfully easy and a great tool to use, so thanks a ton! I appreciate your help a lot and also your willingness to help me even further!

I hope you have a great day my friend!
Old 11-15-2020, 07:15 AM   #9
bocephus

Quote:
Hi, Bill.

- Rich
Glad someone asked this question because the solution spurred me to finally take care of this on all my devices.

Just did the upgrade from 4.11.1 to 4.25.1
OSs - Linux Mint 17 and 19.3 and 20.1
Installs of 4.25.1 went perfectly on all versions.

After the installs I ran the converter tool on my "custom" folders and all is working fine.

Thanks much for the converter. I use GCS as a stand alone tool for the most part, but have been looking at using a VTT which would require me to use the upgraded versions. Been sort of dreading the steps to upgrade and convert through the new install then upgrade again.
bocephus is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
error