Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2020, 01:25 AM   #21
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: High tech low tech: Plastic Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
That is another good point. Plastic armour does not rot, and it is much more resistant to fungus, mildew, and losing its shape in heat than leather. Its a very low-maintenance armour, whereas big pieces of leather armour rarely last decades. That is one reason why people like it for combat sports: they don't have servants to do the boring work.
At least some plastics won't maintain good properties for decades - they don't rot, but they do go brittle or crumbly or the like. But at least they'll keep for a few years with little to no maintenance. Whereas you can probably ruin leather in weeks or at most months.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:45 AM   #22
Anthony

Default Re: High tech low tech: Plastic Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
At least some plastics won't maintain good properties for decades - they don't rot, but they do go brittle or crumbly or the like. But at least they'll keep for a few years with little to no maintenance. Whereas you can probably ruin leather in weeks or at most months.
Most plastic isn't very fond of sunlight or high temperatures, quite possibly less so than leather, but it handles water a lot better.