Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #11
Celjabba

Default Re: No Overpenetration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post

Personally, I wouldn't have instant full Regen at only 200 points, either. If at all.
You can get close :

Regeneration (extreme; 10hp/sec) [150]
and either
50 extra-hit point (only for healing multiplier, -50%) [50]
or
Leveled very rapid healing 5 [55] (from monsterhunterspower-ups1 p13)

Give you 60hp/second for [200] or [205].

You also want the following perks to give the impression of indestructibility
Perk : no visible damage [1]
Perk : sartorial integrity [1]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post

200 CP worth of DR (40) is enough for handguns to bounce. (Just remember to duck aside when they're thrown at you.) Even rifles (going with 7d6) have a miniscule chance of scratching that version of the character; 10d has about a 15% chance of scoring any damage. Instant Regen would be preferred by some because it would also save you from damage that bypasses DR or simply has massive damage (nuclear warheads, teleporting into the center of the sun...), and so cover a few more cases for the same price.

Perk: No Overpenetration is a bit overpowered but I would allow it.

This variant however seem fair :

Perk : you add the amount of regen you have to the cover DR you provide.
So, in the exemple in campaign p408, if Ira Gray had regeneration(extreme) and this perk, cover DR would be 28+10=38 and 1 damage would overpenetrate instead of 6.
With 60 hp regen, few anti-personnal attack would overpenetrate but you wouldn't shield a bystander from anti-vehicular attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
As far as I can tell, there isn't actually indestructibility in GURPS so I'm not quite sure how to answer that. As for the flavor, the first time this came up was with a super that used Unkillable 2, Regeneration (Full*), No Visible Damage, and Immunity to Unconsciousness, with Controllable Disadvantage: Sessile to simulate being able to ignore knockback**. The one problem was that bullets could still go through her, but the GM knew what I was going for and let me retroactively buy the perk when this came up (the GM was new to gurps and relied on me for rules info).

*Full doesn't actually exist, I just put it at 200pts, or the next step up from 10/sec.
This is my basic "indestructible" invulnerability to physical attacks build [304]:

Close enough to 3e 300 points advantage !

Very rapid healing [10] (rapid healing is included in regeneration, so reduced cost)
-9 hp [-18]
Unkillable 2 [100].
Immunity to Unconsciousness [30]
Injury Tolerance (Unstoppable) [10]
Injury Tolerance (Unbreakable Bones) [10] (or regrowth)
High Pain Threshold [10]

You have 1 hp and cannot go below -10.
You don't take any penalty from your injuries (pain, reduced move or stats, unconsciousness, ...) and in fact don't appear to take damage.
You heal 20 hp/sec (unless taken to -10hp and taking continuous damage).

You should also upgrade regeneration to add radiation healing (+40%)
and add a few other advantages to handle various environmental and metabolic hazards.

Upgrading to Unk. III solve the continuous damage problem but create the problem of leaving corpses behind and respawning in a different location.
It can be solved, but it involves a few "dubious" houserules and cosmic modifiers.
Better to keep Unk. II and add a mix of DR and IT:DR so that most small continuous damage like fire or small automatic weapons get ignored.

Nice idea with the Controllable Disadvantage: Sessile !

Last edited by Celjabba; 10-10-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #12
Plane

Quote:
I'm thinking it's probably worth more than a perk, but I'm not quite sure by how much. While it's obviously useful for characters with Unkillable and Regeneration, both of those are very expensive advantages. Considering I can see this being a cinematic advantage (I've seen plenty of movies, games, stories, etc where someone can sacrifice themselves by jumping in front of any bullet or attack to save someone) how much do you think this would be?
Depends entirely on how much damage you need to stop from poking in through one side of you and out the other.

You could buy hundreds of DR and then someone with Armor Divisor enhancements could still come along and shoot through it cheaply, so you would also want Hardened to counter that possibility.

What might be interesting is DR with some kind of limitation like "only used to calculate cover DR for those behind me, doesn't lessen damage to me at all".

What WingedKagouti seems to be getting at is the cosmic version of ITDR seems to reduce basic damage (prior to subtracting DR or applying wound multipliers) rather than injury (after subtracting DR and applying wound mutlipliers) in which case that can help a small amount of DR go further, because it should improve your cover DR (both from your DR and your HP) while normal ITDR would not.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:00 AM   #13
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Gun Fu. Apparently, I need to type more.
Thanks! Wow, I forgot about that book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction) from Powers & Supers is probably a far better fit for your purposes than super fast Regeneration. 275 points gets you IT(DR /75) (see Supers p.146), which will reduce any attack dealing 75 or less to just 1 damage. This does mean the character can be slowly chipped down by anything, so add Damage Resistance 5-10 to protect against lots of small attacks like handguns and unpowered melee attacks (do remember that DR is subtracted before applying IT(DR)).
That's an issue I'd want to avoid. While 99% invulnerable is great, sometimes I want that last 1%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Unkillable 2 plus Supernatural Durability (No Achilles Heel) plus Perk (No Visible Damage) and some level of regeneration is very close to invulnerability. Any time spent dead can be, by perk or agreement, treated as being stunned or unconcious instead of a corpse.
I've seen Immunity to Unconsciousness used for that last bit. While its pretty good, "requiring" Full Regen seemed good enough to me to allow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Perk : you add the amount of regen you have to the cover DR you provide.
So, in the exemple in campaign p408, if Ira Gray had regeneration(extreme) and this perk, cover DR would be 28+10=38 and 1 damage would overpenetrate instead of 6.
With 60 hp regen, few anti-personnal attack would overpenetrate but you wouldn't shield a bystander from anti-vehicular attacks.
That's not a bad idea and definitely would make sense for certain campaigns. I would also allow infinite armor divisors to go through no problem because that's already a part of the huge cost for getting that.

Quote:
This is my basic "indestructible" invulnerability to physical attacks build [304]:

Close enough to 3e 300 points advantage !

Very rapid healing [10] (rapid healing is included in regeneration, so reduced cost)
-9 hp [-18]
Unkillable 2 [100].
Immunity to Unconsciousness [30]
Injury Tolerance (Unstoppable) [10]
Injury Tolerance (Unbreakable Bones) [10] (or regrowth)
High Pain Threshold [10]

You have 1 hp and cannot go below -10.
You don't take any penalty from your injuries (pain, reduced move or stats, unconsciousness, ...) and in fact don't appear to take damage.
You heal 20 hp/sec (unless taken to -10hp and taking continuous damage).
That's a great start, but I'd upgrade it to Immunity to Pain personally. What is Unstoppable?

Quote:
Upgrading to Unk. III solve the continuous damage problem but create the problem of leaving corpses behind and respawning in a different location.
It can be solved, but it involves a few "dubious" houserules and cosmic modifiers.
Better to keep Unk. II and add a mix of DR and IT:DR so that most small continuous damage like fire or small automatic weapons get ignored.
I actually remember one character with some Nuisance Effect on Unkillable 3 having them show back up 'near' their dead body and a feature that your body disappears on death.

Quote:
Nice idea with the Controllable Disadvantage: Sessile !
Thanks! Later on I found PK had Resistant to Knockback but I love Sessile for being more "active". I also like restricting the limitations on what disad you can pick when you take it as an exotic perk.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:51 AM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Controllable Disadvantage: Sessile to simulate being able to ignore knockback**.
There really should be a soft cap instead of a hard cap, you can technically "uproot" a tree after all, it's just super hard. Something like Starcraft's Siege Tank is probably s uper-hard to knock around but even then not impossible either.

Kind of like how various buildings operate like sessile (a buried foundation) and more often the top will just break off leaving the bottom intact, but you could still in theory "pull out" a concrete foundation with the proper grip and force (though maybe so much force that it falls apart under it's own weight)

It's probably like some version of "Permeation" where your torso bonds with a large object (like soil) adding it's HP for resisting knockback and it's weight for resisting pickup, maybe even HT for resisting knockdown?

Heck, you could even envision a tree as having "legs" (roots... or maybe they're arms?) which aren't targetable and can't do anything but grip whatever they're anchored to, so to "uproot" them you'd need to do a "break free" vs a crazy ST multiplier.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:50 AM   #15
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
There really should be a soft cap instead of a hard cap, you can technically "uproot" a tree after all, it's just super hard. Something like Starcraft's Siege Tank is probably s uper-hard to knock around but even then not impossible either.
I concur, it's just that Sessile is 'good enough' for most circumstances and thus was what I used. The 15pt version is much better and much more expensive.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overpenetration