Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2020, 04:00 AM   #11
Legbreaker

Default Re: Familiar conversion, 3rd to 4th ed

True. Thinking I'll leave that particular aspect out of it for the moment - the reserve is there, but the mage can't access it until they gain some experience (and spend the necessary points).
Legbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
What about the granted by familiar modifier? Also thinking Fixed magic is the way to go to avoid needing the prereq spells. Do need a few levels of Magery though, possibly with the single spell limitation?

Yes, that's my thoughts too. It's not an exact match, but fairly close. Only the mage needs to apply it though right as part of the "ally" advantage?
Granted by Familiar is intended for advantages and powers, not skills. But could apply it to Magery.
Sympathy (p. B38) is a modifier on the cost of Ally so only the mage pays (really saves points) for it.

For the Energy Reserve when the mage gets it consider the Drains Familiar limitation. I think first introduced in DF5: Allies. The Dungeon Fantasy series is a good set of books to have when running a fantasy campaign and many are otherwise handy as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
Legbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Granted by Familiar is intended for advantages and powers, not skills. But could apply it to Magery.
I considered adding those extras as powers, but considering it's a mages familiar in a non-super setting, it just didn't seem right - fixed magic appears to be doing the job nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
For the Energy Reserve when the mage gets it consider the Drains Familiar limitation. I think first introduced in DF5: Allies.
I believe that limitation is almost a requirement! From my perspective at least, the familiar is similar to a battery - it only has limited charge, even though it can recover it in time and without external influence.
Legbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote