Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #21
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Quick question about UC II and above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
By the way, a downed character is facing rear in all sides. Do people allow backpacks/slung shields to stop one hit in those cases? As a player pointed out, someone falling down due to a hit is hardly certain to land face first, regardless of whether his stance makes the to-hit roll effectively rear-facing.
I don't allow slung backpack/shield to help when the character is down. It is rear from all sides to explain the DX bonus.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #22
phiwum

Thanks.

(That's all I wanted to say. This parenthetical is to pad the length to at least ten characters, which it certainly has done...

Overkill, really. Should have stopped dozens of characters ago.)
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #23
hcobb

Note also "A figure may move into a hex with a fallen, unconscious or dead figure
and stop." -ITL 104

The UC is simply allowing you an additional hex of move.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #24
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The UC is simply allowing you an additional hex of move.
Well, it's letting you move after a successful unarmed throw during the action phase, only. You had to move 1/2 MA or less to do that, so the only way I'd think of this as "allowing you an additional hex of move" is "an additional hex after moving 1/2 MA and making a successful flow". Not so simple.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #25
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Well, it's letting you move after a successful unarmed throw during the action phase, only. You had to move 1/2 MA or less to do that, so the only way I'd think of this as "allowing you an additional hex of move" is "an additional hex after moving 1/2 MA and making a successful flow". Not so simple.
It's also a special move. After the move, you're in HTH, so you're engaged on the ground. It doesn't let you just stand above the fallen man.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #26
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
It's also a special move. After the move, you're in HTH, so you're engaged on the ground. It doesn't let you just stand above the fallen man.

Actually it does. ITL pg 42 "and you may immediately move on top of them to attempt HTH". So the choice is yours to move on top or to stand above.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #27
phiwum

Let me see if I understand your reading. I've thrown a guy. Now I've got three options:

(1) Do nothing.
(2) Move on top of him, remain standing.
(3) Move on top of him, initiate HTH (going prone), but do not attack this turn (since the throw was your attack).

Is that how you're reading that word "may"? I read it as saying you can take option (3) or option (1). I could also see it as saying you can take option (2) or option (1). I'm having trouble seeing how it could be all three options, but I might just be misunderstanding you.

In terms of realism (very loosely interpreted), seems to me that standing in a hex with a prone but conscious baddie would allow him to trip me pretty damned easy, but I don't see that in the RAW.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #28
Axly Suregrip

I read it as 1 or 3. When "standing" I meant not in your foe's hex.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #29
phiwum

Ah, I get you now. I misread your post.

We're in agreement.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:18 AM   #30
phiwum

I have finally started to play with Unarmed Combat and I have to say I'm rethinking my agreement with Axly.

The general consensus in this thread is that after a successful throw, the UC guy can immediately enter HTH but not attack this turn. The reasoning is that one can usually attack only once per turn (though a Staff IV wielder is an explicit exception).

But what sort of benefit is it to enter HTH this turn rather than next? The UC guy can enter HTH next turn during the movement phase without a die roll, so long as he's able to move into the hex at all. The only time this is not possible is if he's engaged with other figures, but moving into HTH during this turn is not much of an advantage per RAW, since any figures he's engaged with will be able to strike him at DX +4[*] this turn if they have not yet acted. It is a rare situation that moving into HTH immediately but not attacking immediately would be any advantage at all.

If the UC guy is engaged with only one figure, he can enter HTH next turn during movement unless he is engaged by another figure in the interim.

If he is engaged with two figures adjacent to each other, entering HTH this turn is a strong disadvantage unless the second figure has already acted.

If he is engaged with two non-adjacent figures, entering HTH this turn provides the advantage of disengaging this turn "for free".

So, I'm kinda thinking that this benefit is supposed to be more beneficial. Giving him a second attack after a throw is pretty beneficial, but it's for a skill that requires IQ 11, DX 11 and two skill points (because UC I is a pre-requisite) and the target gets a saving throw to remain standing. The second attack is a regular HTH attack +2 damage (same damage as one with the Brawling talent and less than a dagger). That's a nice benefit but it's not an overwhelming benefit.

I'd like to hear from those who read this argument and still disagree. It hasn't come up in my game yet, but it will, so counterarguments would be useful in making up my mind. Thanks.

[*] In a recent thread in the house rules section, I've chosen to take away that advantage when one strikes from the sidelines into HTH combat. Even without this bonus, the UC guy loses any defensive bonus that UC grants, since he will not be attacked from a front hex.

Last edited by phiwum; 10-31-2020 at 09:25 AM.