Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2020, 10:25 PM   #11
kirbwarrior

Default Re: A "you are what you eat" power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The time for a meal probably includes preparation.
I think it also includes things like taking your time and letting your body actually work (since it's healthiest to wait twenty or more minutes for your body to digest things). I also wonder how much of it is each part since Slow Eater makes each meal 2 hours instead of half an hour. Mind, I can also see taking Universal Digestion with Matter Eater to allow change with a single Ready maneuver, increasing the cost of MA but allowing for rapid and during combat change.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:24 AM   #12
lvalero

Another possibility :)

If you want to model a sort of super-flexible power which you can "create an advantage" on the fly depending on the situation then Morph or Modular Abilities is the way to go.

However if you want to model a cook that knows a set of "pre-consctructed" recipes then I suggest you to use Alternate Abilities like Sorcery system with Preparation required 10 min -15% (to cook it), Requires ingredient -10%, Requires Skill roll : Cooking -10%, Inmediate preparation required 10 min -45% (to eat it) and, probably, Nuisance (must be consumed in 8h or it is wasted) -10%

If the power doesn't appear as soon as you eat the meal, because your organism has to digest the nutrients then you need Onset.

Probably you can think that having a preconstructed set of recipes limits the player, however take into account you are applying a lot of limitations AND after that you apply "Alternate Abilities" discount so the player can know a lot of recipes for a very small cost of character points.

Last edited by lvalero; 09-13-2020 at 03:33 AM.
lvalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #13
AlexanderHowl

RPM using magical cooking would also be another possibility. A meal could be a charm, since it would need to be destroyed (eaten) for it to take effect. In that case, creating charms would require a successful Cooking roll, as well as the magical rolls. The ingredients of the meal could count as trappings of the charm, with higher quality/rarer ingredients reducing the cost of the charm by a higher percentage. In this case, I would have the requirement for Cooking and the requirement to take the time to eat the meal lower the cost of the charm by an additional -20%.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #14
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I think it also includes things like taking your time and letting your body actually work (since it's healthiest to wait twenty or more minutes for your body to digest things).
Yes. Modern technology gives us a full meal on a single plate that we can gulp down fast. But our bodies didn't evolve for that. Do an online search for "eat slowly," and you'll find a number of medical and nutritional sources that recommend slow eating. GURPS follows that by default.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:16 PM   #15
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
Another possibility :)

If you want to model a sort of super-flexible power which you can "create an advantage" on the fly depending on the situation then Morph or Modular Abilities is the way to go.

However if you want to model a cook that knows a set of "pre-consctructed" recipes then I suggest you to use Alternate Abilities like Sorcery system with Preparation required 10 min -15% (to cook it), Requires ingredient -10%, Requires Skill roll : Cooking -10%, Inmediate preparation required 10 min -45% (to eat it) and, probably, Nuisance (must be consumed in 8h or it is wasted) -10%

If the power doesn't appear as soon as you eat the meal, because your organism has to digest the nutrients then you need Onset.

Probably you can think that having a preconstructed set of recipes limits the player, however take into account you are applying a lot of limitations AND after that you apply "Alternate Abilities" discount so the player can know a lot of recipes for a very small cost of character points.

I was half asleep when I posted last night, and I agree with the above as the way to go.

Have a parent ability that allows for flexible config like Sorcerous empowerment but make it how it is described above. Then have several A.A. that are basically the characters "go to" abilities. Have their "Glutton Mimic" (aka Sorcerous empowerment) be high enough to mimic most simple abilities/qualities of animals. Then a few "known recipes" for more powerful ones, like flight or breathing under water or chintin skin armor etc.

This is very balanced from what I can see and number crunch, the PC will only have a few go to abilities but also have the option to improvise something smaller when they can.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I think it also includes things like taking your time and letting your body actually work (since it's healthiest to wait twenty or more minutes for your body to digest things).
I doubt it. It's probably just a granularity issue -- half an hour being the smallest chunk of time one is likely to keep track of on a daily schedule.