Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #831
gilbone

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Is this PDF still up anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
It doesn't hurt baby jesus if I write poetry in haiku form
gilbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #832
Atreyu_Hibiki

It's around the internet. A quick Google or Metacrawler search will turn up 2 or 3 copies floating around.

I don't have the original website anymore, and I've always considered the PDF free game to share. If anyone else wants to give it a more permanent hosted home, feel free.

It won't be expanded anytime soon, because it was a pain in the tuchus to make in the first place, and I don't have the original files anymore. I don't even know if it's technically correct even at this point, because I suspect a few of the Abilities were submitted with multiplicative modifiers, which changes the game balance.

If you PM me your email, I'll shoot you off a copy.

Last edited by Atreyu_Hibiki; 06-03-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #833
Dwarf99

was the PDF called GURPSAdvantages? I think I might have it if that's the case... but this one seems to have abilities ranging in point costs by quite large amounts...

Also if you have a facebook,you can host on scribd with your facebook login...

Last edited by Dwarf99; 06-03-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #834
gilbone

I found version 2.8 with a google search. Is this the latest? I'd be glad to host it permanently, but I want the latest version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
It doesn't hurt baby jesus if I write poetry in haiku form
gilbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #835
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbone View Post
I found version 2.8 with a google search. Is this the latest? I'd be glad to host it permanently, but I want the latest version.
2.8's the version I printed out hardcopy, so yes, it's the last version.

Go ahead and host that one.

Dwarf, you'll notice that far and away the largest section of the book is devoted to 50-point abilities. What happened was that people started submitting 25-point abilities and 75-point abilities and 100-point abilities, and so forth, as well as modular 50-point abilities with premade 5-point modules. So I expanded my base concept to allow these as well, but they're held in what amounts to appendices. The "Force" packages and the "Psi" packages had to go in their own sections as well because they broke my rule about including power sources, but were too cool to leave out.

This was a neat project to put together, but nothing I'd want to do again without some kind of payment. Now I do puppet videos for free!* Go check them out at the link in my signature!

*And for hire!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #836
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
OK, Let me see if I can make this work: If I had my druthers. this would be my super power.

POLAR BEAR ATTACK!
You open your mouth and belch out several hungry baby polar bears at a fair speed. The crash into your opponent, possibly knocking him prone. After "noming" on him for a bit, they start to wander around, at their whim, randomly drifting into other people in their search for "noms." After the initial blast, they aren't really under your control. Eventually they get tired and sleep or become frightened and run away.
Notes:
For those without Lolcats "noming* means to chew/eat. "Noms" are "things that can be eaten." I felt this power belonged to the "LolCat" power group. It's name is an exalted name. Sue me.

And yes, baby polar bear teeth might be small piercing, but I feel that "cut and scrape" damage can be crushing, so to ease the creation, I chose that. Of course, I could have added most of this as a cyclic attack (only if first attack hits), but that seemed too much like work.

VORACIOUS BABY POLAR BEAR SUMMONING MEDITATION! 1D+2 cr (Cyclic: 3x cycles @ 1 sec +300%, Double Blunt Trauma +20%, Double Knock Back +20%, Rapid Fire: 3 RoF +50%, Reduced Range: Range Divisor 5 -20%, Area Effect: 2 yd radius +50%, Bombardment: skill 10 -15%, Drifting +20%, Mobile: lvl 3 +120%, Persistent +40%, Cosmic (Lingering Effect, Polar Bear Babies) +100%, Extended Duration: 30x +60%, Limited Use (per day): 2 -30%, Takes Extra Time: lvl 3 -30%, Uncontrollable: potentially damaging -30%, Costs HP: 2 -20%, Source, Lolcat -20%) [58]

Edit: Point cost was wrong, I found a spelling error, and sought to further explain a choice.
But given the special effect, if one of your targets or a bystander has Mind Control (Polar Bears) or even just Animal Empathy and sufficient Animal Handling skill, or a few big steaks to throw their way, can any of those serve as defenses?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #837
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki View Post
Dwarf, you'll notice that far and away the largest section of the book is devoted to 50-point abilities. What happened was that people started submitting 25-point abilities and 75-point abilities and 100-point abilities, and so forth, as well as modular 50-point abilities with premade 5-point modules. So I expanded my base concept to allow these as well, but they're held in what amounts to appendices. The "Force" packages and the "Psi" packages had to go in their own sections as well because they broke my rule about including power sources, but were too cool to leave out.

This was a neat project to put together, but nothing I'd want to do again without some kind of payment.
That's what wikis is for. Much easier to edit, by multiple people.

I've been using Mediawiki (as a hosting and editing tool for Sagatafl, one of my homebrew RPG systems) for over half a year now, and can highly recommend it, as a tool for keeping track of complex information.

If you're not concerned about rights issues or a few banner ads, Wikia might be a good, free-of-charge hosting place. It's just a question of getting a few people together to help edit the site. (I can't volunteer, except for answering very occasional Mediawiki usage questions, and even then I know very little, but I've made good use of the #mediawiki channen on the FreeNode IRC server).

There is already - at least - one GURPS wiki, but I don't know how active it is, and whether it is appropriate for hosting this kind of material.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #838
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
But given the special effect, if one of your targets or a bystander has Mind Control (Polar Bears) or even just Animal Empathy and sufficient Animal Handling skill, or a few big steaks to throw their way, can any of those serve as defenses?
Well, since it's comical. I say:
Polar bears are too voracious during the attack to respond. However, they can be affected after the fact.
The quirk "tastes bad" negates damage if you walk through their area.
Bad smell would probably be allowed to work against them.

Create (Meat) can Power Block the effects of the the attack.

The Lolcat power modifier should be worth more. It is Fickle and "Blocked by anything the GM deems appropriate, accounting for the "never say no/no take-backsies) rule.*"

*Basically, you cannot say no to any funny or appropriately ridiculous action, nor can you take back an action you say you do. I, as a player or GM cannot say "No, you can't do that." or decline that something exists after it has been said. If someone says "this soup is hot" I cannot say there is no soup, nor can I say it is cold. I can say "it's split pea, which I hate." After I say that, no player can tell me it's not split pea, or that I like it. Most games played with the Lolcat modifier resemble games of TOONS. Common sense costs 10 points but requires a 50 point UB, and each player gates 40 points in Gizmos or gizmo perks.

In a more realistic game, they ought to be bought as allies, but I still say that's only after they have satisfied their hunger.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #839
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
Well, since it's comical. I say:
Polar bears are too voracious during the attack to respond. However, they can be affected after the fact.
The quirk "tastes bad" negates damage if you walk through their area.
Bad smell would probably be allowed to work against them.

Create (Meat) can Power Block the effects of the the attack.

*Basically, you cannot say no to any funny or appropriately ridiculous In a more realistic game, they ought to be bought as allies, but I still say that's only after they have satisfied their hunger.
I'm fine with them not being bought game mechanically as Allies, especially because all you can do is set them lose to go nom nom on your foes, but if my Mind Control (Polar Bears) (or more likely, just for Animals) wasn't limited to not affect them when they're really, really hungry, I'd call foul. Of course, without Reflexive I probably wouldn't be able to avoid the first round of nomming anyway.

On the other hand, if anybody did a Power Block with an actual damaging power, that character would face major public relations problems for blowing away a bunch of cute baby polar bears right out of a Coke ad. So, the disadvantages of taking the special effect 'seriously' or as real would be balanced by the advantages, in any campaign I was running.

Anyway, like the build - did mouth bees have any part in its inspiration?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #840
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
I'm fine with them not being bought game mechanically as Allies, especially because all you can do is set them lose to go nom nom on your foes, but if my Mind Control (Polar Bears) (or more likely, just for Animals) wasn't limited to not affect them when they're really, really hungry, I'd call foul. Of course, without Reflexive I probably wouldn't be able to avoid the first round of nomming anyway.

On the other hand, if anybody did a Power Block with an actual damaging power, that character would face major public relations problems for blowing away a bunch of cute baby polar bears right out of a Coke ad. So, the disadvantages of taking the special effect 'seriously' or as real would be balanced by the advantages, in any campaign I was running.

Anyway, like the build - did mouth bees have any part in its inspiration?
Thanks

Thanks for the compliment!

It actually started when we were wishing for super powers while play The Other Angsty game with super powers (Mage: The Ascension). Most people wanted to fly. Sombody mentioned the bee bit from Simpsons. Another person reminded me of a spell that let's disgorge snakes.

I believe I said. "Snakes are ok. But man, what about polar bears?" And then I laughed myself stupid at the thought.

We weren't high, unless you count Cheetos as a drug.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers