Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
RedDragon

Default Combat, Turn-by-Turn: Berserk 1997

I was thinking absent-mindedly about how GURPS can handle a variety of settings, and that got me thinking about the wide variety of cool combats in fiction. I wanted to see how well GURPS could handle the turn-by-turn processes of combat in anime, movies, video games, and other media (I was inspired by the work of Daniel Dover (Mailanka here on the forums (He also writes a Blog - Mailanka's Musings)) and Douglas Cole (who writes on his website Gaming Ballistic), both of whom have done that very thing, and both of whom you should check out. Special credit goes to Douglas Cole for his instrumental role in the creation of GURPS Technical Grappling, from which I have cribbed a few rules. And because I just finished binging all of the Berserk manga (and now have like three or four months to wait until the next chapter), I figured I would start things off with what is in my opinion the defining fight (or fights, I suppose) of the series - Guts's initial duel with Griffith.
I'm also well aware of the fact that my understanding of the system isn't ironclad (especially when it comes to combat options), and I appreciate clarifications and correctionson what I did incorrectly and suggestions on how to better represent the source material.
This is based off of the 1997 anime (specifically, this scene), as it provides actual motion to the fight that isn't present in the manga. I will not be analyzing the combatants' actual skill levels, as these are basically unimportant - Griffith is more skilled than Guts, who is more skilled than Casca. That's what's important. Given how grappling is portrayed in this fight, I will assume they are using the revised grappling rules given in GURPS Martial Arts: Technical Grappling.

The Combatants:
Guts: A wandering mercenary who was attacked by some members of the Band of the Falcon, challenges Griffith to a duel. He is likely a practitioner of some variation of Longsword Fighting, and is armed with an oversized thrusting greatsword. He likely does not have Weapon Master at this point, although he's certainly very skilled. In addition to his swordfighting prowess, Guts is also a brutal hand-to-hand fighter and a combat pragmatist, unafraid to use dirty moves in order to win.
Griffith: Leader of the Band of the Falcon, who hopes to make Guts join. He is clearly using some form of Fencing (likely Italian Rapier). He is armed with an Edged Rapier with a Basket Hilt, and he definitely has Weapon Master. In addition to his fencing skills, Griffith is extensively trained in mounted combat.

Without any further ado, let's get into the meat of this post.

The 1st Fight:
Guts, having been attacked while walking down a road, takes a series of Ready Maneuvers to put on his helmet and draw his sword. He fights with some minor members of the Band of the Falcon (their battle is unimportant - Guts emerges victorious and basically unscathed) and is then challenged by Casca, a lieutenant in the Band of the Falcon. The two duel, but the latter is ultimately unable to withstand his advance, falling prone after a failed Parry. Somewhere in the battle, Guts loses his helmet; I don't remember where.
  1. Round 1: Guts, about to strike a finishing blow on Casca, is stopped when Griffith (who has a higher Speed) throws a spear at his feet. Griffith is mounted. Both take a Do Nothing Maneuver and exchange words, with Griffith asking Guts if the latter will put away his sword.
  2. Round 2: Griffith takes an Evaluate Maneuver. Guts, likely overestimating Griffith's ability (admittedly, Guts has single-handedly killed hundreds of people already, so his confidence isn't unwarranted), takes an All-Out Attack (Determined) with the Telegraphic Attack option, moving forward about three yards. Griffith Fast-Draws his rapier and effortlessly parries Guts's swing. They are likely to be ignoring the rules for parrying heavy weapons, as the force of Guts's swing would likely have broken even a Fine or Very Fine blade of rapier size (or perhaps Griffith has the Rules Exemption Perk). Griffith makes a Deceptive Attack (-2), thrown as a Counterattack, appearing to swing for Guts but ending with a thrust to the chinks in Guts's torso armor (a plate harness of some variety; Guts can't defend due to All-Out Attack), penetrating the armor and wounding him. This likely causes a major wound, as Guts falls backwards.
  3. Round 3: The Band of the Falcon cheers their leader. Griffith, thinking the battle won, takes a Ready Maneuver to sheath his sword. Guts (who definitely has High Pain Threshold), succeeds at his HT roll to avoid stunning and takes a Change Posture Maneuver, rising from prone to kneeling.
  4. Round 4: Griffith takes an Evaluate Maneuver. Guts takes a Change Posture Maneuver, rising from kneeling to standing. Using Grip Mastery, he switches to a one-handed grip on his Greatsword (either he's strong enough to do this without a penalty, or he's ignoring the rules for using two-handed weapons one-handed).
  5. Round 5: Griffith takes a Concentrate Maneuver to initiate a Contest of Wills. He is likely rolling against Mental Strength (with a bonus for Fearlessness and Indomitable, and at least a +1 for having a higher Rapier Skill than Guts's Two-Handed Sword Skill [Guts's highest combat skill]). Guts is rolling against Intimidation (with a bonus for Fearlessness, but NOT at a penalty due to Griffith's Reputation as the leader of the best mercenary group in the kingdom (Guts doesn't recognize Griffith when he first meets him)). Guts loses the contest.
  6. Round 6: Griffith takes a Do Nothing Maneuver. Guts elects to attack (again as a Telegraphic Attack), and critically fails, reopening his wound and falling face-first, Stunned. It's possible that Griffith used some variation of Buying Success to cause this result, as he doesn't appear to worry about defending.
  7. Round 7: Griffith takes a Ready Maneuver and begins removing his helmet. Guts fails to recover from his Stun but avoids falling unconscious.
  8. Round 8: Griffith takes a Ready Maneuver and continues removing his helmet. Guts recovers from his Stun and again avoids falling unconscious. He takes a Do Nothing Maneuver and turns his head to glare at Griffith.
  9. Round 9: Griffith takes a Ready Maneuver and finishes removing his helmet, revealing his spectacular bishie hair. He returns Guts's glare. The latter then fails his HT roll to avoid unconsciousness.

Last edited by RedDragon; 09-10-2018 at 10:13 AM.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
RedDragon

Default Re: Combat, Turn-by-Turn: Berserk 1997

The 2nd Fight:
Guts, having partially recovered from his injuries, seeks out and finds Griffith on top of a hill. Neither of the two are armored, but both have their weapons. The two exchange words, with Guts readying his sword in a two-handed grip. The two agree to terms: If Guts wins, he'll kill Griffith. If Griffith wins, Guts must join the Band of the Falcon as the former's subordinate. Griffith readies his sword.
  1. Round 1: Griffith takes a Do Nothing Maneuver. Guts steps and takes a Committed Attack (Strong) Maneuver as a Telegraphic Attack (a bad habit of his). Griffith parries the blow.
  2. Round 2: Griffith takes a Wait Maneuver ("If Guts attacks me, I will parry and immediately Counterattack"). Guts takes an Attack Maneuever. Griffith parries again and takes an Attack Maneuver as a Deceptive Attack (-2) Counterattack. Guts fails to defend. Griffith makes a cut to Guts's right arm. It's a shallow wound, but Guts falls backwards to a sitting posture, surprised that he is being so easily beaten.
  3. Round 3: Griffith takes a Do Nothing Maneuver. Guts takes a Change Posture Maneuver, rising to a standing position.
  4. Round 4: Griffith takes a Wait Maneuver ("If Guts attacks me, I will Parry and make a Beat"). He offers to suspend the duel until Guts heals completely. Guts tells him to shut up, taking a Move and Attack Maneuver (not Telegraphic this time; Perhaps he's learning), as a Rapid Strike with two attacks (he's not learning). Griffith parries both attacks and successfully knocks Guts's sword aside.
  5. Round 5: Griffith takes an All-Out Defense (Increased Dodge) Maneuver. Guts takes an All-Out Attack (Double) Maneuver, making Rapid Strikes. Griffith dodges and sidesteps all of Guts's clumsy attacks.
  6. Round 6: Both fighters repeat the actions they took in Round 5.
  7. Round 7: Griffith takes an Attack Maneuver, thrown as a Rapid Strike, making three stabs - one to Guts's left Leg and two to his right Arm. All three hit, and Guts cannot defend due to his All-Out Attack the prior turn. Griffith is clearly pulling his punches, as the wounds are skin-deep.
  8. Round 8: Griffith takes a Wait Maneuver ("If Guts attacks me, I will parry and then Attack him"). Guts takes an All-Out Attack (Double), using his first attack to perform a Dirty Trick, using his sword to kick up a clod of dirt into Griffith's face. Griffith succeeds on his IQ roll to see it coming, and closes his eyes at just the right time to avoid being blinded. Guts, believing his trick to have worked, uses his second attack to swing downwards at Griffith's head. Griffith Dodges successfully, and rolls against his Light Walk to land on Guts's sword (the latter can't defend due to All-Out Attack). Griffith succeeds, and ends his turn by pointing his sword at Guts's throat.
  9. Round 9: Griffith takes a Do Nothing Maneuver, calmly telling Guts that the latter cannot attack so long as he (Griffith) is on his (Guts's) sword. Guts retorts, saying that he'll show Griffith the proper way to use one's mouth in a battle. Guts takes an All-Out Attack (Double) Maneuver, using his first attack to grapple Griffith's sword with his teeth, and successfully hits. Griffith fails his Parry (Guts is biting down on the flat of the sword so hard that he BLEEDS, giving Griffith little room to defend). His second attack is a Force Posture Change designed to knock Griffith Prone, and he facilitates this by falling to a prone posture as well. The attack is successful, Griffith fails his Light Walk roll to remain on Guts's sword, and the two fall down the side of the hill, with both of them losing their blades in the process.
  10. Round 10: The two begin rolling down the hill. Griffith, surprised, takes a Do Nothing Maneuver. Guts successfully grapples Griffith's Torso, and the latter fails to defend.
  11. Round 11: The two continue rolling. Griffith attempts to Break Free, but is unsuccessful. Guts maintains his grapple, making a Change Posture Maneuver to rise from prone to crawling.
  12. Round 12: The two are now at the bottom of the hill, with Guts on top of Griffith. Griffith attempts to Break Free but is unsuccessful. Guts makes an Attack Maneuver, throwing a Punch to Griffith's Face, and hits. Griffith fails to defend.
  13. Round 13: Griffith, in shock that he's been hit, takes a Do Nothing Maneuver. Guts releases his grapple as a free action, and takes the Change Posture Maneuver, going from crawling to standing.
  14. Round 14: Griffith, still in shock, takes another Do Nothing Maneuver. Guts takes a step back and kicks Griffith in the face, successfully hitting. Griffith fails to defend.
  15. Round 15: The Band of the Falcon collectively murmur to each other about how cool the two fighters are. Griffith, recovered from his mental Stun, takes a Change Posture Maneuver to rise from prone to crawling. Guts takes a Do Nothing Maneuver and gloats.
  16. Round 16: Griffith takes a Change Posture Maneuver, rising from crawling to standing. His back is turned to Guts. Guts takes a Committed Attack (Strong) Telegraphic Attack, and attempts to punch Griffith in the back of the head. Griffith, who likely knows Timed Defense, successfully parries Guts with Judo.
  17. Round 17: Griffith takes an Committed Attack (Determined) Maneuver thrown as a Rapid Strike consisting of a Deceptive Attack (-2) Arm Lock (which Guts fails to defend against) followed by a Judo Throw (Griffith chooses to end up prone, for +4 to his roll), which also succeeds. He ends the turn crawling, holding Guts's arm in an Arm Lock. Guts is prone.
  18. Round 18: Griffith takes a Do Nothing Maneuver, maintaining his grapple and making an Intimidation attempt on Guts ("It doesn't matter to me whether or not I dislocate your arm"). The Intimidation attempt fails, and Guts takes a Do Nothing Maneuver to look angry and call Griffith a bastard.
  19. Round 19: Griffith follows through on his threat, taking a Committed Attack (Strong) Maneuver to damage Guts's arm. He rolls high, dislocating Guts's arm from his shoulder. Guts is stunned.
  20. Round 20: Corkus (a member of the Band), who had been standing back in the crowd, comes over to gloat. Griffith holds him back, and then embraces Guts's head, informing the latter that he now belonged to him.

I may or may not be making more of these, mostly depending on whether or not I have any free time. So I hope you enjoyed Part 1 of this ?-part series!

Last edited by RedDragon; 09-10-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
RedDragon

I forgot to mention that given the numerous pauses in the action, it's possible that they are using the optional rules for The Last Gasp (also by Douglas Cole).
Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #4
Hide

In first battle round 1, what would you call Griffith throwing the spear at Guts feet? It was not a parry or a dodge, but pretty much a failed attack. Also Griffith was not involved in the combat (yet). If Guts was a player, why would he prefer not dealing the final blow under the mechanics of combat if he was already taking down a threat?

-Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
They are likely to be ignoring the rules for parrying heavy weapons, as the force of Guts's swing would likely have broken even a Fine or Very Fine blade of rapier size (or perhaps Griffith has the Rules Exemption Perk).
It's strongly implied - particularly in their next fight - that Griffith being able to Parry Guts' attacks is due to his extremely high level of skill. I'd say they'd be using some sort of houserule system where you can specifically sacrifice some of your skill to make your weapon less likely to suffer damage (or, as with their final duel when Guts leaves the Band of the Falcon*, make it more likely the other character's weapon will break). The Broken Blade from Pyramid #3/87 would be good for a base (and good in general for Berserk, which is no stranger to weapon breakage).

EDIT: Actually, as it seems to be more of a passive effect of high skill, on a successful Parry you could have some sort of Quick Contest of skill, with the winner shifting the safe threshold of the weapons involved in his/her favor.

Quote:
Round 3: The Band of the Falcon cheers their leader. Griffith, thinking the battle won, takes a Ready Maneuver to sheath his sword. Guts (who definitely has High Pain Threshold), succeeds at his HT roll to avoid stunning and takes a Change Posture Maneuver, rising from prone to kneeling.
I should note this is more him having failed the initial HT roll against knockdown/stunning, but now succeeding at the roll to recover, allowing him to climb to his feet.

Quote:
Using Grip Mastery, he switches to a one-handed grip on his Greatsword (either he's strong enough to do this without a penalty, or he's ignoring the rules for using two-handed weapons one-handed).
There's no indication that he's suffering no penalty. Guts is - or at least later becomes - strong enough to use his sword one-handed, but isn't as skilled when he does so. This is likely because his skill with Two-Handed Sword is higher than his skill with Broadsword.

Quote:
Round 5: Griffith takes a Concentrate Maneuver to initiate a Contest of Wills. He is likely rolling against Mental Strength (with a bonus for Fearlessness and Indomitable, and at least a +1 for having a higher Rapier Skill than Guts's Two-Handed Sword Skill [Guts's highest combat skill]). Guts is rolling against Intimidation (with a bonus for Fearlessness, but NOT at a penalty due to Griffith's Reputation as the leader of the best mercenary group in the kingdom (Guts doesn't recognize Griffith when he first meets him)). Guts loses the contest.

Round 6: Griffith takes a Do Nothing Maneuver. Guts elects to attack (again as a Telegraphic Attack), and critically fails, reopening his wound and falling face-first, Stunned. It's possible that Griffith used some variation of Buying Success to cause this result, as he doesn't appear to worry about defending.

Round 7: Griffith takes a Ready Maneuver and begins removing his helmet. Guts fails to recover from his Stun but avoids falling unconscious.

Round 8: Griffith takes a Ready Maneuver and continues removing his helmet. Guts recovers from his Stun and again avoids falling unconscious. He takes a Do Nothing Maneuver and turns his head to glare at Griffith.

Round 9: Griffith takes a Ready Maneuver and finishes removing his helmet, revealing his spectacular bishie hair. He returns Guts's glare. The latter then fails his HT roll to avoid unconsciousness.
I'd interpret this whole sequence as Guts failing his HT roll to stay conscious when below 0 HP (the stab from earlier was probably to the Vitals), but being close enough the GM rules that he doesn't fall unconscious immediately.

Quote:
Round 1: Griffith takes a Do Nothing Maneuver. Guts steps and takes a Committed Attack (Strong) Maneuver as a Telegraphic Attack (a bad habit of his). Griffith parries the blow.
He's an anime character. I wouldn't treat his attacks as Telegraphic, I'd just consider that as dramatic license. Note that, when not fighting a foe who significantly outclasses him in skill, those same attacks have no trouble connecting (sometimes with more than one person at a time, even).

Overall, this seems like a pretty solid analysis of the fights.

*My own head-canon thinks of the human version as the Band of the Hawk, the later monster version as the Band of the Falcon. Of course, I also think of Guts as Gatsu or Götz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
In first battle round 1, what would you call Griffith throwing the spear at Guts feet? It was not a parry or a dodge, but pretty much a failed attack. Also Griffith was not involved in the combat (yet). If Guts was a player, why would he prefer not dealing the final blow under the mechanics of combat if he was already taking down a threat?

-Hide
It's implied Griffith specifically threw the spear between them to stop Guts' attack. In GURPS terms, this would have occurred after Casca was knocked from her horse, but before Guts' next turn - him raising the sword and preparing to attack would have been dramatic license. The spear in the way would have resulted in a penalty to attack, but more importantly alerts Guts to a new foe. It also signals that the fight is over, which is why Guts doesn't strike the killing blow (back then, Guts killed primarily to remove threats; once Casca was no longer fighting, she was no longer a threat; he may also have been somewhat reluctant to kill a woman). Also, don't forget about the GM - "It's obvious the woman is defeated and will no longer fight, and you see a mounted knight approaching - he's likely the one who threw the spear, which was clearly meant to stop the fight rather than hit you. What do you do?" You'd likely need either a heartless player or character (or a character with Bloodlust, which fortunately Guts didn't have... at least not yet) to deal the killing blow.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #6
RedDragon

Thanks for the replies, guys! I didn't see any for a few days so I thought the thread was dead. (It probably is now, but whatever. I'm a necromancer, I guess.)

re: First Combat Unconsciousness Rolls: I tried to write the battle with as few houserules as possible, in order to better demonstrate the general flow of GURPS combat. As a GM, I would probably say "You failed, but aren't immediately unconscious" too, but I don't think there is a specific place where such a rule is stated, RAW.
re: Telegraphic Attacks: I always assumed that average fodder-level soldiers just had abysmally low Parry scores, and that Telegraphic Attack was partly a means of compensating for Guts' weapon's high ST.
re: Spear-Throwing: I agree with Varyon in that this is mostly a matter of how well the GM describes the situation. Another possibility that requires some GM fiat is that the spear throw works as a Feint of sorts, penalizing Guts' roll so much that he subconsciously "chooses" not to attack.

I quite liked doing this, and I have some free time, so you can expect another one of these in a while (as soon as I figure out a cool scene to stat out).

Tags
ベルセルク, analysis, berserk, beruseruku, fight, martial arts, technical grappling