Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #41
bonetm

Default Re: Licenced Munchkin

It's not a booster, it's a core set.
MiB: #1602
Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #42
Doctor Poo

Ah, I mistook "licensed Munchkin" to mean any possible product rather than another core set. My mistake.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #43
That_Pasquale

Penny Arcade also already have their own card game based on a PA holiday set from another card game, so I doubt they'd want to make a third with Munchkin:PA. Even though I like what that idea has going for it.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #44
Death

How about a Looking for Group Munchkin?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #45
Palmer

It seems to me that the obvious license is Girl Genius

Strong following already (with an epic fanthread on these forums).

It's a new genre, Ste... ahem... GASLAMP Fantasy.

Anything involving the Foglios is loaded with humour right off the bat.

It's also "small" enough to be an affordable license.
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #46
Quotencommon

We seem to be fixated on webcomic IPs here. Have any of us considered any print works? Scott Pilgrim for example. Heck, it may not even be based on a comic at all! There's plenty of other IPs in other media available!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #47
Doctor Poo

Hitchhiker's Guide could be pretty funny. +1 towel and all.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #48
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quotencommon View Post
We seem to be fixated on webcomic IPs here. Have any of us considered any print works? Scott Pilgrim for example. Heck, it may not even be based on a comic at all! There's plenty of other IPs in other media available!
True, but the reason is, I think, that certain web comics tend to fit the right mold which is why people are focusing on them. I agree, it could be anything, at this point, and since genre doesn't matter, the sky's the limit. The truth is we only have to wait until tomorrow when the announcement is made.
MiB #1029
Old 03-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #49
Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quotencommon View Post
From my perspective, there are 3 major reasons why webcomics are prime suspects.

1: Most webcomics are comedic in nature, which is a necessity for a parody game like Munchkin

2: Webcomics have a lot of art assets, which is important for an art-heavy game like Munchkin.

3: Webcomic licenses would be CHEAP. Any major media license will be super expensive. Scott Pilgrim, by virtue of having made it to Hollywood (and video games), is now a Big License, and will cost correspondingly more.

A big license will raise the price of the game significantly, which is a bad thing.

Also, I really don't think Scott Pilgrim would adapt to Munchkin very well. While many elements would work, the underlying THEME would not. Kill the monsters doesn't really fit with Coming Of Age.

Plus, any IP that revolves all the action around a single character (like, oh, Scott Pilgrim) doesn't work for Munchkin, which is an Ensemble Cast kind of game.
Girl Genius works because, while the story is about Agatha, it is not driven by her. A VAST amount of the action and interesting bits happen without her, all over the place.

Discworld COULD happen. There are at least TWO separate Discworld board games coming out this year, by different companies. This shows that the license is not exclusive.

Not duplicating a genre is another major consideration. Doing a licensed fantasy setting, no matter how awesome (like Monty Python and the Holy Grail) is just going to impact sales of both the new one, and the original genre. You don't want to cannibalize your own sales.

Print and visual media are very conservative when it comes to genres, and Munchkin's pretty much covered them all.

Even Steampunk, which is currently The Hotness... how many steampunk movies can you think of? Off the top of my head, all I get is LXG and Wild Wild West. Yeah...
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #50
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Even Steampunk, which is currently The Hotness... how many steampunk movies can you think of? Off the top of my head, all I get is LXG and Wild Wild West. Yeah...
Sherlock Holmes, and maybe Young Sherlock Holmes*. . . lol

* Am I showing my age???
MiB #1029
Closed Thread

Tags
licenced munchkin, license, rampant speculation