Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #41
Kale

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Install the Cups-PDF virtual printer. That way, you can have GCA create PDFs for you!
The CUPS PDF printer worked surprisingly well! I'm a fan of it.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #42
mlangsdorf

I'm trying to run GCA4.0408 on FC17 x86_64 under Wine.

It looks like Wine installed correctly and GCA4 installed mostly correctly. I've run both the updates available (logo fix and registry fix). I am still getting the following error:

CRC32 of GCA4.EXE (4.0408) previously verified.
No character sheet options file to upgrade.
GCASystem Initialized.
modForms:BuildSmartBar: Error 30001: Unable to open the picture file "%1"

the last line is in red.

At the point the failure occurs, the GCA4 window, the logging window, and the untitled status/copyright window are all open.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
mlangsdorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #43
Bruno

Advice from winehq on this exact issue - even GCA specific, dating to January!

Short version:

Quote:
You have to go back to winecfg and set the libaries so that the native versions will be used. Also, the libraries have to be in the same directory as the program and not in windows/system32.
Also:

Quote:
Try using wine-1.3.11
(see http://www.winehq.org/download ).
and winetricks riched20
(see http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-bb6a...63463e5217c3bf )

If that doesn't do it, add on top of that
winetricks vcrun6 native_oleaut32
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #44
rlbeaver

Not sure if anyone is interested, but figured it wouldn't hurt to say...

It was surprisingly easy to get GCA running under wine on OS X Lion using the above as a reference. Getting wine installed wasn't as easy as normal OS X apps, but wasn't difficult either...

...and printing doesn't work under Mac OS X wine...so back to slow VMs.

Last edited by rlbeaver; 05-03-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Updating stutus
rlbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #45
Prime Evil

I've used Wine on a to run GCA on a couple of Linux distributions in the past, but I've recently encoutered a strange issue and was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on how to resolve it.

I've followed the instructions here to install GCA under Wine on two machines - one running Fedora 17 and one running Linux Mint 13. In both cases, the program seems to run fine, but when I attempt to preview a character I get a blank sheet. Furthermore, if I attempt to print out a character using either at CUPS-PDF printer or my old hp LaserJet 1300n, I get a blank sheet.

In addition, if I attempt to view the options for any installed character sheet (including the default and the current version of Phoenix), the program tells me that no options are available.

I've discovered that the following message is written to the debug.log when I attempt to print:

modPrintReport:PrintReport: Action: Setting script control: Error -2147467259: Automation error
Print: Setting Options.
modPrintReport:PrintReport: Action: Setting script control: Error 445: Object doesn't support this action

I should note that on the Linux Mint 13 machine is running Wine version 1.4-0. As normal, I've used Winetricks to install riched20, vb6run, and vcrun6. In addition, I've configured the system to use native-oleaut32.

Anybody got any thoughts?

UPDATE: I don't know if it's relevant, but the following error also appears in the terminal window when I attempt to print:

fixme:winspool:SetJobW Ignoring everything other than document title

Last edited by Prime Evil; 08-06-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Prime Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #46
tantric
Banned

The vcrun6 file is no longer available from MS. I downloaded "vc6redistsetup_enu.exe" from a random website into my .cache/winetricks/vcrun6/ folder, then tried "winetricks vcrun6 native_oleaut32". It ran and resolved the problem with Error 30001. I'm assuming this is legal if one owns a copy of XP.

Then "sudo apt-get install cups-pdf". Seems to be working.

NB: during this process, I also copied riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll from my XP installation to the Wine /System32/ dir and to the GCA Program files dir, though I have no idea if this was necessary.

Last edited by tantric; 10-05-2012 at 05:07 AM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #47
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
The vcrun6 file is no longer available from MS. I downloaded "vc6redistsetup_enu.exe" from a random website into my .cache/winetricks/vcrun6/ folder, then tried "winetricks vcrun6 native_oleaut32". It ran and resolved the problem with Error 30001. I'm assuming this is legal if one owns a copy of XP.

Then "sudo apt-get install cups-pdf". Seems to be working.

NB: during this process, I also copied riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll from my XP installation to the Wine /System32/ dir and to the GCA Program files dir, though I have no idea if this was necessary.
It doesn't surprise me Microsoft has been wanting to end support for VB6 for a while, which is understandable since it's roughly Windows 98 era software. Windows 8 was to officially be the end of support, but it got a lifeline because of businesses still using it.

It's probably legal if you own a Windows license and, truthfully, for the purposes of GCA (home use) it's not like Microsoft will be beating down your door over it if you don't. For that matter I know very few Linux users who haven't officially agreed to the license at one point or another.

Edit: Apparently there's a fix for it. You might have an outdated winetricks.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 10-06-2012 at 07:25 AM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #48
tantric
Banned

This is picky, but just in case anyone knows a quick fix...
In "Quick View" the Skills button is misplaced. Any thoughts? Resizing doesn't do anything.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #49
tantric
Banned

I'm bumping my last post because I'm going to be using GCA alot in the next few days. Has anyone else encountered the problem of the Skills button floating in the Quick View tab? Is there perhaps something I can do to the way Wine handles windows (small w) to change things around?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #50
tantric
Banned

Another bump. I can't get any kind of output from GCA. CUPS gives me blank pages. I really wanted the Export->Text function, but generates nothing. Any suggestions? This is very frustrating. I just want some way to copy and past my stats into a new document.

Tags
linux