Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #31
tantric
Banned

Default Re: Krokodil

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Edward Tremlett View Post
Krokodil is Breaking Brain.

I have longed for a drug to come along that really screws people up externally. This fits the bill nicely.
Uh, why? I feel nothing but pity for those people. The drug isn't hurting them, the war on (some) drugs is. If they could just buy pure morphine, they'd be a lot better off. Besides, alcohol and smoking cause gross physical damage already - or do you just want them to look hellish?
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #32
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
The science in _Breaking Bad_ was done by University of Oklahoma chemistry professor Donna Nelson PhD. There are many radically different methods for synthesizing meth, every process shown in the show is a step from one of those methods. They mix and match steps from different methods, and depict them out of order, so that the show is not a tutorial.
IOW, the end result is about as silly as calling a cat Neutron 'Because he is so positive!'.

I also remember something about their 'cleaner' drug having a colour which clearly indicates presence of impurities of some sort. (Again, not a chemist - just saying what I heard.)
Old 10-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:

I have longed for a drug to come along that really screws people up externally. This fits the bill nicely.
Yeah, I'm with tantric here. You are aware that Krokodil is real, yes? Heroin wasn't already killing addicts fast enough for you?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #34
tantric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
IOW, the end result is about as silly as calling a cat Neutron 'Because he is so positive!'.

I also remember something about their 'cleaner' drug having a colour which clearly indicates presence of impurities of some sort. (Again, not a chemist - just saying what I heard.)
I fail to see how he could avoid getting a racemic product with a synth using methylamine - meaning a very complicated step to separate out the d-meth AND wasting half of it. You're right, though - crystallization usually removes the by products, unless they are also amines.

I stopped watching "Fringe" after the episode in which a flu virus grew to giant size and chased people around. Then they killed it with a decongestant and I tuned out. Really, people?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #35
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
I stopped watching "Fringe" after the episode in which a flu virus grew to giant size and chased people around. Then they killed it with a decongestant and I tuned out. Really, people?
You mean you watched the pilot/first episode without tuning out the sciency part of the brain? ^_^
Old 10-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #36
Anders

Quote:
Uh, why? I feel nothing but pity for those people. The drug isn't hurting them, the war on (some) drugs is. If they could just buy pure morphine, they'd be a lot better off. Besides, alcohol and smoking cause gross physical damage already - or do you just want them to look hellish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah, I'm with tantric here. You are aware that Krokodil is real, yes? Heroin wasn't already killing addicts fast enough for you?
Sign me up for this view as well. These are people and dserve our compassion.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #37
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Sign me up for this view as well. These are people and dserve our compassion.
Okay, I'm probably too detached to join the Compassion camp, but I'm certainly very puzzled and slightly disturbed by anyone cheering at yet another way people can suffer.

I also don't quite get the connection between Breaking Bad, Breaking Brain (?), and longing for an externally screwing-up drug.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #38
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Okay, I'm probably too detached to join the Compassion camp, but I'm certainly very puzzled and slightly disturbed by anyone cheering at yet another way people can suffer.

I also don't quite get the connection between Breaking Bad, Breaking Brain (?), and longing for an externally screwing-up drug.
Personally I'm hoping he meant:

"great an over the top drug that seems more at home in a fictional dystopian cyberpunk future, but that I can now name check in my contemporary setting without appearing to be unrealistic"

I hope!
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #39
malloyd

Quote:
Uh, why? I feel nothing but pity for those people. The drug isn't hurting them, the war on (some) drugs is.
That's a step too far. The drug arguably isn't hurting them a lot more than some perfectly legal things would, but opiates aren't harmless. If nothing else the rate of lethal overdoses even among patients with legal prescriptions is probably comparable to that of alcohol.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #40
tantric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
That's a step too far. The drug arguably isn't hurting them a lot more than some perfectly legal things would, but opiates aren't harmless. If nothing else the rate of lethal overdoses even among patients with legal prescriptions is probably comparable to that of alcohol.
The studies I've read (many) suggest alcohol and heroin are neck in neck for harm, and tobacco is worse than meth. The question is: how would legal heroin compare to legal alcohol? I have a friend who's been taking 120mg of methadone (5mg being a normal dose) every day for years. She's FAR more functional than my alcoholic ex-bf, who routinely drives drunk, gets in fights and vomits all over everything. Then again, the whole discussion changes radically when you learn about ibogaine - and then learn there's a drug with nearly identically properties sold OTC in most of the world.

This is interesting, but way off topic now - move?

Last edited by tantric; 10-03-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Tags
addiction