Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Dreadstar

Default Ogre Battlefields box

I couldn't resist ordering up one of these,but imagine my surprise when it came to checkout time. The $60 box turned into $127 once postage was applied. I know that overseas postage isn't cheap,but more than the cost of the box set?
Dreadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
lokke

Default Re: Ogre Battlefields box

You've still got VAT to pay, and the post office's "handling fee".
lokke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
Vito413

Battlefields is a very nice set. You will be very happy to have the extra counter pieces. Your shipping is a bit expensive but the set is really nice.
Vito413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Mack_JB

It's quite a large box, and after packing, likely over ten pounds in weight. Overseas postage from everywhere to everywhere has gotten extremely expensive in the past few years. I buy railroad history books from the U.K. pretty often, they regularly end up with postage being about an additional 90% of the book's purchase price.

But Battlefields will be worth it. Two new maps, and loads of counters.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:24 AM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

This is a very, very heavy box and is definitely expensive to ship. And, as everyone knows, international shipping continues to get more expensive and much more complicated every year.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
Dreadstar

Yeah,I'm not looking forward to the 'extra' duty and PO handling charge. I dread to think just how much that will add to this box set. Deffinately looking forward too it though,as I only have the 6th edition map at the moment.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
lokke

C&E charge VAT at 20% on both the item and the shipping costs, so that should be $25.40. The PO handling charge should be £8.00.

If you are in when they call, you need to have the cash, they won't accept plastic.

Given the weight of the box, they'll probably just post a card. You'll have to pick it up from the local sorting office. Don't argue about the handling charge. They are used to that, and it never ends well.

These figures are accurate for packages between £15 and £150, at least for the kind of stuff you will be ordering from SJG.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
Dreadstar

So I'm looking at an extra £33 and change then,so a total cost of £140+....good grief. To think that this started off at £48.38 as well.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
lokke

I didn't bother converting $ to £.

At today's rate it comes to £27.79. Might have changed by a few pence by the time you get it.

So, not quite as bad. It might have been better to add something else into the package, that way the "handling charge" isn't quite so bad.

As long as it's all for the same game, and you stay below £150 (including postage) that works out better.

If it hasn't been sent off yet, add a couple of the $10 plastic ogre packs to the mix. I'll buy them off you and split the handling fee 50/50...
Old 11-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #10
Dreadstar

FedEx picked it up on Friday mate,so it's already on it's way. I included the £8 that the P.O. charge to the total.