Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #61
jason taylor

Default Re: Curious Local Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Couldn't they just have a nasal bridge that allowed them to be bent creating a gap between face and mask? That should create enough of a space to put eating utensils under and through.
We cover our lower faces when we need to talk with food in our mouths, after all.
How about a sort of zipper over the mouth? Actually that's kind of funny: I can just imagine all the jokes parents and teachers would make about being able to zip up children's mouths.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #62
Flyndaran
Untagged

Probably not a great idea near wet mouths and food. A simple button would probably suffice. But fashion could be zippers or even Velcro.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:09 AM   #63
RyanW

A few food related ideas:
  • If not sick, injured, or pregnant, eating while seated is considered vulgar/lazy/unhealthy
  • Meals are not divided up by flavor but by temperature (the coldest dish is always served first and hottest last, or vice versa)
  • Each guest fills a plate and gives it to someone else, who then fills another plate and passes it on. No one should ever fill their own plate
Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #64
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
How do people who constantly wear masks over their lower faces eat, especially in public?
Obviously, they learn some tricks.

For my own entries:

1) Diehard fans of popular series engage in naval battles for the sole purpose of determining what romantic relationships the characters therein will pursue. The scope of such battles depends on the importance of the characters involved - they are simulated for minor/side characters, are real but vessels become disqualified once they’ve suffered a set amount of damage for important characters, or are fought to the bitter end for the main characters. The author is legally obligated to work the winning relationships into the story.

2) People undergo ritual bloodletting at least once a year, as well as anytime they achieve an important triumph. The preserved blood is presented at their funeral as a measure of their life, and after cremation the carbon is extracted from it and added to that extracted from the cremation to produce a memorial diamond, which is kept by the family (the longer lived and the more achievements, the heavier the diamond).
Old 09-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #65
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Obviously, they learn some tricks.

For my own entries:

2) People undergo ritual bloodletting at least once a year, as well as anytime they achieve an important triumph. The preserved blood is presented at their funeral as a measure of their life, and after cremation the carbon is extracted from it and added to that extracted from the cremation to produce a memorial diamond, which is kept by the family (the longer lived and the more achievements, the heavier the diamond).
That's cool. I might actually use that myself.

Addendum, the stone is sacred and worn by a family head/ kept at a shrine/ etc

Addendum, stealing the stone is a way of counting coup.

Last edited by jason taylor; 09-10-2019 at 11:05 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #66
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
That's cool. I might actually use that myself.

Addendum, the stone is sacred and worn by a family head/ kept at a shrine/ etc

Addendum, stealing the stone is a way of counting coup.
I really like that last one, particularly as I envisioned them being worn into battle for a variety of reasons. The idea was inspired by an event in Metal Gear Solid 5, wherein Snake opted to have the cremains of a large group of his soldiers that just died turned into diamonds; from then forward if the light catches the shoulder patch of Snake or one of his soldiers just right you can see a glint from the small diamond worn there.

The bloodletting addition is from an idea I had for a wedding ring (draw blood from both parties, extract the carbon, and press it into a diamond for the ring - probably with some extra carbon added to get one of a decent size).
Old 09-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #67
jason taylor

Addendum: There is a regular Heraldric code dealing with the color, faceting, setting, and their meanings.

Addendum: Sending a stone with someone is a confirmation of his right to be agent (like the gold tablets of Mongol couriers).

Addendum: Reproductions are made to be used in cases where the original might be lost.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #68
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The bloodletting addition is from an idea I had for a wedding ring (draw blood from both parties, extract the carbon, and press it into a diamond for the ring - probably with some extra carbon added to get one of a decent size).
I don't think you do. Blood is about 85% water, but the other 15% should have roughly the same composition as the rest of your body, and organic material is normally around 40% carbon by weight, so you'd need something like 4 milliliters of blood per caret, and a 1 caret stone is a pretty reasonable size for a ring centerpiece. Certainly a typical blood donation volume (470 mL) will contain enough carbon to produce a diamond bigger than anything you could reasonably fit on a ring. It wouldn't be the world's largest diamond, but it would easily be in the top hundred.

I rather like this idea really - something to keep gems worth much of anything in settings where synthetic ones are increasingly easy (and perfect), or mined from other worlds with exotic conditions in ton quantities, has obvious adventure motivation uses, and known to have been made from the blood of somebody famous seems like the kind of thing that could hold value. Though how to preserve the chain of authenticity that actually holds that value through the looting process is a tricky question.

Last edited by malloyd; 09-12-2019 at 08:27 AM.
malloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #69
Anders

Could make a more effective powerstone for certain kinds of magic in a magi-tech setting.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #70
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I don't think you do. Blood is about 85% water, but the other 15% should have roughly the same composition as the rest of your body, and organic material is normally around 40% carbon by weight, so you'd need something like 4 milliliters of blood per caret, and a 1 caret stone is a pretty reasonable size for a ring centerpiece. Certainly a typical blood donation volume (470 mL) will contain enough carbon to produce a diamond bigger than anything you could reasonably fit on a ring. It wouldn't be the world's largest diamond, but it would easily be in the top hundred.

I rather like this idea really - something to keep gems worth much of anything in settings where synthetic ones are increasingly easy (and perfect), or mined from other worlds with exotic conditions in ton quantities, has obvious adventure motivation uses, and known to have been made from the blood of somebody famous seems like the kind of thing that could hold value. Though how to preserve the chain of authenticity that actually holds that value through the looting process is a tricky question.
I never bothered to look up and run the math, but that indicates bloodstones could be ridiculously large. Assume inefficiencies in carbon extraction - or even only legally allow a set amount of carbon be extracted from each bloodletting and from the corpse itself (probably a good idea already, unless you want to encourage late-life obesity) - to avoid this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Could make a more effective powerstone for certain kinds of magic in a magi-tech setting.
Everyone wants a sword made of iron extracted from blood, but diamond-edged graphene swords are where it’s really at.