Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #201
DSumner

Default Re: Sea Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Not quite - they say 1 nautical mile per hex, which is 6000 feet rather than 5280 feet. So it's more like to 1.85km per hex on that map. Just picking nits though :)
Either way, it's close enough for my purposes., and once again, thanks gents.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #202
DSumner

Bumping this one to generate a little discussion.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #203
TexPoec

To save starting another thread. USMC Commandant released his Force Design 2030 this week. Based on new political focus on great power war and getting Marines back to their roots. Lots of wargaming shows that amphibious assaults against opponents with decent missiles would be too costly. Marines need to help the Navy stay in the combat area by defeating enemy assets and harassing enemy ships. Some of the recommendations:

No more tanks! Too hard to move, don't fit the new mission.
Fewer towed guns but lots more rocket artillery - long-range precision fires.
More heavy drones with offensive capabilities.
New fast, smaller ships and drone logistics to move and sustain small, mobile Marine units.

Might be a good framework for Playmate 6:

Invading force of Marines, Missile Tanks, LADs, etc. and some made up landing craft or subs to bring them in.

Defenders have mix of units and some cruise missile batteries that Marines have to take out by certain turn or the Combine Navy off map gets pasted.
TexPoec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #204
HeatDeath

The talk about the USMC's emphasis on infantry groups and missile artillery gave me some ideas about fire teams of missile tanks with infantry screens forming the centerpiece of assaults, but that needs to percolate some more.

I wonder what it does to the AU cost of a missile tank to let it drive (but not shoot) underwater?
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #205
TexPoec

Interesting concept of infantry/marines teamed with missile tanks. Maybe with marines it could be the notorious missile GEV!

Could also use GEV PC to bring the marines in close then they jump out and advance under water.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #206
ParadoxGames

I read page 1 and saw the unit stats. Are there any images of these? I'd like to try these units out, but would make counters first. If there are images, I can make counters.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #207
TexPoec

For images, something like the littoral combat ships for the smaller units? Lots of concept art online for futureistic naval craft.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #208
HeatDeath

Littoral Combat Ships, as they currently exist, are fragile and practically unarmed. They're a place to land an ASW (Anti Submarine Warfare) helicopter, nothing more. In the Ogreverse you'd mount a laser tower on them and have them be a GEV tender - I can see some tactical utility there.

Cyberships are fascinating to me too, though, but the Ogre game engine is almost entirely unsuited for the glass-sledgehammers-playing-cat-and-mouse-with-each-other dynamic that is modern naval combat. BPC might change that dynamic, but it might not. A nuclear torpedo blowing all the water out from under a large cybersub (and just about all large combatants would be submersible) could mission kill it with blunt force trauma even without penetrating it's armor.

Hmmm. Harpoon V is coming out in a few months - it'll be interesting to take it's [very likely] rules for railgun artillery, nuclear warheads, and laser point defense, turn the power curve up to 11, and see if there's any game left there.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote