Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Skarg

Default Are all the rules in GEV in newer editions?

I'm an olde OGRE/GEV player, and I've browsed the newer wave of OGRE products, and I am wondering, with the new miniatures and hex-based rules in the OGRE Deluxe, OGRE Miniatures and OGRE 6e products, do they include all of the rules that were available in the old GEV microgame? IIRC, mainly other terrain types and some more detailed rules for a few things.

I have The (ye olde 1980's) OGRE Book but not Shockwave nor Battlesuit. I'm not cure in Shockwave actually added any rules or was just a new map, units, counters and scenarios?

But mainly I'd just like to know, for OGRE Deluxe, OGRE Miniatures and OGRE 6e, do they include all the rules, or would someone wanting the most complete ruleset find any rules in GEV or Shockwave that are not in these newer editions?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: Are all the rules in GEV in newer editions?

The Ogre Designer's Editon (ODE) rules are the latest, but there are still some things not quite finished. Ninja, Vulcan, Heavy Weapons Teams, etc. For the most part though, ODE supersedes the older Ogre, GEV, Shockwave and Battlefields rules.

You can download the current rulebook for free here:

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products...e_rulebook.pdf

Scenarios here:

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products..._scenarios.pdf

Or start here and peruse until you pass out!

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/resources/

Last edited by Mack_JB; 11-10-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
Skarg

Oh wow, that's sweet! Thank you!
Old 11-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I have The (ye olde 1980's) OGRE Book but not Shockwave nor Battlesuit. I'm not cure in Shockwave actually added any rules or was just a new map, units, counters and scenarios?
Shockwave did add a pretty substantial set of rules to the game, not just a new map and counters. The most game-changing thing added by shockwave was the cruise missile that can create a full-hex crater (and the lasers to shoot them down).

As mentioned already, the ODE rules are the most current and include the latest and greatest amalgamation of Ogre, G.E.V., Shockwave, and Battlefields rules. It did not incorporate every rule from every expansion; there are a few lesser-used rules that did not make the cut. Some of those may show up in later expansions, and there are a few rules that are unique to the 6th Ed of Ogre.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Battlesuit was a totally different game in the same setting. It was a squad-based tactical scale and used a dot map. There's basically zero relevance (other than fluff) to any edition of Ogre (or GEV).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
brionl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Battlesuit was a totally different game in the same setting. It was a squad-based tactical scale and used a dot map. There's basically zero relevance (other than fluff) to any edition of Ogre (or GEV).
Which is true, but GP said Battlefields. That one was an Ogre/GEV expansion that was a couple of new maps, and maybe a few counters, IIRC.
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionl View Post
Which is true, but GP said Battlefields. That one was an Ogre/GEV expansion that was a couple of new maps, and maybe a few counters, IIRC.
Yeah, but the OP did mention Battlesuit; so I'd wager that's what sir_pudding was referencing.

Battlefields introduced 4 maps (2 with GEV-style borders, and 2 with Shockwave-style borders so they could all be tiled against each other). The different maps introduced a number of new scenarios; some original, some do-overs of the original scenarios tweaked for the new layouts. Battlefields is also where Engineers, Militia, Revetments rules and the size table came from.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #8
Skarg

Aha, that's all interesting - thanks again everyone!

(And yup I knew Battlesuit was a related but other game about battlesuits in the same setting, but not if it had any related rules or not. And I either didn't know or forgot about Battlefields, which apparently did. It's all good.)

Tags
ogre 6e, ogre/gev, ruleset