Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Innate Attack: Wall as an active defense?

Power parry will work for defending, though its 1 attack like a normal parry. If he wants to create a wall that could stop multiple attacks then would need reflexive + wall or a forcefield build.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Power parry will work for defending, though its 1 attack like a normal parry. If he wants to create a wall that could stop multiple attacks then would need reflexive + wall or a forcefield build.
Thing is, if you create a wall at all, the wall is standing there, per the Wall enhancement. Ergo, I wouldn't allow a Power Parry against one attack without Reflexive, because that would imply a wall that blinks in and out of existence in a split second when that's not the character's ability.

E.g., an Iceman writeup might well have an Innate Attack with Wall (Rigid) to represent putting up a barrier of ice. It would make no sense for him to Power Parry with that ability, since once he's created ice, it doesn't evaporate instantly. On the other hand, one of his other Innate Attacks might well qualify for a Power Parry, and the Wall might qualify for a Power Block to strengthen the defense it offers, IIRC.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Thing is, if you create a wall at all, the wall is standing there, per the Wall enhancement. Ergo, I wouldn't allow a Power Parry against one attack without Reflexive, because that would imply a wall that blinks in and out of existence in a split second when that's not the character's ability.
Well for some special effects that's perfect. Like the light wall described above, I can see that popping in and out of existence.
Also note its used as an example DR with wall under the power parry.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Stone Dog

My books are at home. What is the best way to build a magically generated shield?
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
My books are at home. What is the best way to build a magically generated shield?
What kind of shield?
Forecfield? forcewall or a shield like object?
If the latter then DR with active defense limitation could work, though it can be broken through. If its indestructible then a build based on Enhanced Defenses is the usual way to go.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
Stone Dog

Like a physical shield you'd use with the shield skill and purchase by walking up to an armorer and say "I'd like to buy a shield" only generated by magical energy. ;) Like the Shield spell in D&D.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #17
Bruno

Quote:
Perk: Accessory. Possibly with some Cosmic Payload to stuff it in. Pow. Done.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Perk: Accessory. Possibly with some Cosmic Payload to stuff it in. Pow. Done.
I'd let somebody buy a 'force shield' that lets them block as though with a regular shield, but doesn't actually encumber them, etc., as Accessory Perk: Shield with Cosmic and Force Extension, but only if they bought its Defense Bonus with points as well. If you're paying 30 pts per level for Defense Bonus (or even just 5 points per level for Enhanced Block, although then I wouldn't let you defend against bullets unless you had Enhanced Time Sense), then 2 points extra seems fair to let you actually use Block as one of your defenses, even if you don't carry an actual physical shield.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
How about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
There is no "Extra Defense" advantage that you could then modify with, say, Independent or some other modifier that would make it hands-free. However, you get one additional block or parry per hand, regardless of number of hands or number of attacks, so that's where the solution can be found. Try this:
Extra Arm 1 (Force Extension, +50%; Shield Mount, -80%) [7]
Force Extension is stolen from Stretching; see Powers, p. 78. In this case, it gives you a visible limb of force that can't be injured.

Shield Mount is by analogy to Weapon Mount. If being restricted to mounting and using one weapon is -80%, the same should go for any other dedicated-purpose limb.

You can make it invisible with No Signature, if that's important to you. I don't see how it's worthwhile, but whatever. Since you can always specify special effects for your abilities, why not just say it has the appearance of a glowing shield?

As for the shield itself, I'd allow the arm itself to count as a shield to block -- it's an indestructible force! Use the standard Parry for an arm as your Block score, which is DX/2 + 3. If it needs to be higher, buy Enhanced Block (Mystic Shield) [5/level]. Enhanced Block requires a specialty, and I think this is fairly specialized!

To give, say, a wizard with DX 12 a first-rate Block of 16, you'll want Mystic Shield [7] and Enhanced Block 7 (Mystic Shield) [35]. I'd say that 42 points is a fair price for one sure-fire, stop-anything defense a turn. (Especially when you compare it to Blocking spells . . .)
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...99&postcount=7
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Not sure about Power Parry (been a while since I read Powers), but it is definitely needed to drop a wall with all the bells and whistles on someone else's turn (and not for just parrying a single attack).
So you require the Reflexive not because that's required to generally use an Innate Attack to make a Power defense (because that's not necessary), but only when you have the Persistent and Wall enhancements?

Is there a reference for this, or is this people's gut-instinct here? When you add persistent to an Innate Attack, does it say anywhere that you can't use it as a power defense without Reflexive?

Tags
active defense, defense, innate attack, wall