Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
dds_ks

Default Defense against Curse-Spell?

As a GM, I would like to play NPCs with high IQ-score intelligent. Now I found a combination which an intelligent MODA ("master of dark arts") would use. And I don't really see what could be done against this, so in fact, my question is: may I never again use a MODA unless I want to kill all PCs?

The Curse-Spell (Magic, page 129) is just marked "regular", but not "resisted by [whatever]". Is there any defense, or does this really mean: Just roll the dice, and if your spell succeeds, the subject is cursed?

Imagine this situation: a pack of "normal" demons (Magic, page 155) with Broadsword deals 3w+2 damage. Add one mage with Curse 20, and he can cast one curse per second for a netto cost of 1 FP - not too bad, I'd say.

And the "chosen one" fighter will always fail his defense roll automaticly due to the curse. After reaching hp below 0, his next HT roll will fail. Should only take about three rounds (in case of heavy armour), don't you think?
On the other hand, this situation is not too unrealistic.

Counterspells or Ward Spells won't work, 'cause "good" mages and priests don't know Curse. Is there anything they could do in advance to prepare, or anything they could do in the situation?

Well, they will try to shoot the MODA first, but on the other hand: if the NPC has high IQ - and that was the precondition -, he will set his demons to positions where they can effectively protect him, and he will have some protective magic against "standard hazards". And a really intelligent MODA will have a Luck-potion, too, so you don't need just one good shot, but two.
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
cccwebs

Default Re: Defense against Curse-Spell?

Well, first off a MODA with Curse-20 casting the spell for 1 FP is only getting a 1 pt curse and is only going to impose a -1 to all die rolls of his opponent. This doesn't mean that the target automatically fails anything. Also, Curse isn't cumulative, so that MODA casting a 1 pt Curse on the same subject is still only modifying that subject's rolls by only 1 point max. And, since Curse is a Regular spell, there's a -1 skill penalty per yard of distance to the subject. Unless the MODA is using Throw Spell, he's gonna have to get somewhat close to his intended target. As for "good" mages not learning the spell, I think you are underestimating them. Many "good" guys do learn some of the more harmful spells, especially if learning those spells is necessary to countering those spells, and just why shouldn't a "good" mage be able to curse an "evil" opponent?
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Bruno

Curse can make you automatically fail ONE major important roll that you otherwise succeeded on.

AND THEN the Curse is immediately broken and you're safe.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
dds_ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Curse can make you automatically fail ONE major important roll that you otherwise succeeded on.

AND THEN the Curse is immediately broken and you're safe.
Well... yes and no: next second the MODA cast the next curse: with spell 20, he only needs one second to cast. That's the point: for one fp per second, you fail all your defense rolls against an important amount of damage, and after losing all positive hit points, you fail your HT-roll and become unconscious. Assuming that a MODA has obtained a Powerstone, this should finish off even a medium-sized group, unless they have an idea which I lack yet.
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Bruno

This is still only useful against one party member. Based on my experience as a player in mlangsdorf's game, what would actually happen is that, assuming he managed to get a spell off at all before being engaged by the players, he may briefly inconvenience one character, but meanwhile an archer or artillery mage puts a a missile in his throat.

This tactic only works if for some reason you have a solo player attacking him, or only one combatant (at which point what you have is a noncombatant party with a bodyguard, and of course they'll get their asses kicked against a group of dedicated combatants).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds_ks View Post
Well... yes and no: next second the MODA cast the next curse: with spell 20, he only needs one second to cast. That's the point: for one fp per second, you fail all your defense rolls against an important amount of damage, and after losing all positive hit points, you fail your HT-roll and become unconscious. Assuming that a MODA has obtained a Powerstone, this should finish off even a medium-sized group, unless they have an idea which I lack yet.
Yeah, kill the mage who's close up and casting Curse, or have the archers shoot the mage who's throwing glowing orbs containing spells, etc. After all, if MODA is too busy trying to keep ONE party member cursed, then there are others who are not cursed and not many other spells that MODA is busy casting.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Garion

Location: Northern (and I mean Northern, not freakin' Albany!) New york

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds_ks View Post
No...you are misunderstanding how the curse spell works. All it does is impose a -1 penalty to the subject's rolls until such a time he makes some remarkable success and then it takes that success away and is cancelled. In no way does it make the subject fail all his rolls.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
This is still only useful against one party member. Based on my experience as a player in mlangsdorf's game, what would actually happen is that, assuming he managed to get a spell off at all before being engaged by the players, he may briefly inconvenience one character, but meanwhile an archer or artillery mage puts a a missile in his throat.

This tactic only works if for some reason you have a solo player attacking him, or only one combatant (at which point what you have is a noncombatant party with a bodyguard, and of course they'll get their asses kicked against a group of dedicated combatants).
This tactic is even more limited than that. Most fighter types can easily absorb a mere -1 penalty in combat, and if the GM is using the ONE major roll part of Curse to cancel out the first success roll, then Curse is probably going to end real soon.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Garion

Location: Northern (and I mean Northern, not freakin' Albany!) New york

Also, a valid tactic if the Curse spell worked the way you think it does (and it does NOT btw) would be for the fighter to take a wait maneuver and attack with rapid strike right after being affected by the spell. He would, according to you, auto fail his first attack if it hit but would still have the second attack roll and all his defenses until the mage's next turn.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garion View Post
Also, a valid tactic if the Curse spell worked the way you think it does (and it does NOT btw) would be for the fighter to take a wait maneuver and attack with rapid strike right after being affected by the spell. He would, according to you, auto fail his first attack if it hit but would still have the second attack roll and all his defenses until the mage's next turn.
I said if. I know how the spell works, it's the OP that seems to have a misunderstanding.

Tags
curse, curse spell, defense, moda