Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
RobKamm

Default Re: Parrying for others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Realistically, you can parry for others. Any solution which requires a Perk fails reality.
I don't know that I'd go that far. But I will mention that I've houseruled hard techniques that start at -2 to the defense roll for dodging (jumping in front of an incoming attack -- successful dodge means you take the hit), blocking (sticking your shield in front of an adjacent character, replaces part of Shield-Wall Training), and parrying (which deflects an incoming attack on an adjacent friend -- I also allow waiting and attacking a weapon).

This seems to work well for us. It allows anyone to try it, and well trained professionals to do it reasonably well. I do not allow Technique Mastery to bump these up, but Extra Dodge/Parry/Block affect them normally.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
So, while fighting someone, if someone else within reach happens to swing at the guy you are beside, you are able to reliably parry?
Yes. It's not a common fighting posture, but it's a useful skill, especially when fighting in groups.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Realistically, you can parry for others. Any solution which requires a Perk fails reality.
Thank you. I'd hate if GURPS became D&D in that regard.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Yes. It's not a common fighting posture, but it's a useful skill, especially when fighting in groups.
I suspect you're significantly more skilled than I am, then (which, by the way, wouldn't be too difficult to pull off). The only situations I could see myself pulling that off would be as follows.
Focusing on an enemy. Basically, I focus on my opponent in order to parry anything he throws at me. If he happened to throw an attack against someone beside me, I could probably parry it without excessive difficulty. (this implies that, in addition to Wait and Move+Attack, some variant of All Out Defense might work)
Focusing on an ally. Basically, I focus on everyone near him/her and purposefully try to parry anything they happen to throw at my ally.
Desperate lunge. I see the attack coming for quite some time, but am some distance from my ally (otherwise I'd just go to one of the other options). An example might be someone sneaking up on my ally, and me having no reliable way of warning him/her. This would basically be charging to back up my ally, then purposefully parrying whatever the enemy threw at him/her.

Personally, I don't think I can keep track of enough things at once in a fight to pay attention to attacks not aimed at me, at least not in time to be able to determine their trajectory and get something in the way in time (you needn't determine trajectory to put yourself between the enemy and your ally). Being able to do so seems prime for Perk territory. All that said, however, I think RobKamm's treatment of it - as a technique with a penalty - would probably work quite well. What might also work, as this is a rather specific ability, would be to have Parry/Block have a -2 penalty (Dodge, I think, should remain unpenalized), and allow this to be bought off with a Perk. A -2 penalty is probably enough for someone like me to stand minimal chance of pulling it off without preparation.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #15
pawsplay

Quote:
I suspect you're significantly more skilled than I am, then (which, by the way, wouldn't be too difficult to pull off). The only situations I could see myself pulling that off would be as follows.
The situations under which it is likely to happen are limited. Looking at it in GURPS terms, you see that the opponent has to be in your front or right hex-side. There are only a few configurations that places you within reach of your opponent and your ally.

If you weren't focused on your ally, the GM might call for a Per check before the defense. But if you are used to fighting together, it should be a fairly easy technique to pull off.

Incidentally, I've found most stick jocks not only don't warm up to this tactic, but seem actively uncomfortable with the idea of someone parrying for them. But when I have worked with someone willing to share attacks and defenses, we have been able to hold off multiple opponents. One fairly simple tactic is for a pole wielder to stand behind a shield-man; in that case, it is fairly simple to visualize how one could parry for the other, I think.

My inclination is to call "parry for other" an Easy technique that defaults to Parry-1.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:24 AM   #16
Witchking

Hmm we pretty much just use the Teamwork Perk from PU2 (Combat Perks section).

We usually arent too formal about the "forming up step"...basically the PC's all spend a point and then if you are close enough you can give up one of your parries/blocks to cover a friend (who also has the Teamwork Perk).

After all the perk represents time and experience Fighting together in Close Quarters.

YMMV...but Works for me.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #17
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Hmm we pretty much just use the Teamwork Perk from PU2 (Combat Perks section).

We usually arent too formal about the "forming up step"...basically the PC's all spend a point and then if you are close enough you can give up one of your parries/blocks to cover a friend (who also has the Teamwork Perk).

After all the perk represents time and experience Fighting together in Close Quarters.

YMMV...but Works for me.
It also fits the fiction work I'm familiar with. Where those the fight back to back parrying attacks meant for the other comment (internally) that the quickly fall back into such formation for that's was how they were trained (normally a shared teacher)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
HuManBing
Banned

"I am unarmed. Strike me down, and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete."

[Luke turns away for a moment, then turns back, his eyes full of hatred. In one moment, his lightsaber is up and slicing through the air towards the Emperor's neck.]

[Sparks fly as Vader parries it effortlessly, the two blades crossed over the Emperor's cackling leer of victory.]
HuManBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
lordbrendan

Quote:
So, while fighting someone, if someone else within reach happens to swing at the guy you are beside, you are able to reliably parry? That doesn't sound feasible. Now, if you are trying to protect somebody, and somebody else attacks them, you could probably parry. That is, you could do so if you executed a Wait for this purpose... which is what I suggested above.
With the caveat that SCA is not real fighting, I use a "halberd" in wars and stand behind a line of shieldmen. This puts me 1 yard behind a line with a reach 1,2 weapon. The shield wall is being attacked by reach 3 spears. Until such time as the line charges or breaks I concentrate on parrying spears which are attacking the shieldmen.

On the other hand it is possible I am doing a wait maneuver and attacking the spears preempting their attack due to my holding initiative.
lordbrendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #20
pawsplay

You could also be performing Beats (ST-based feints). But it's simpler I think to call a Parry, a Parry.

Tags
sacrificial dodge, sacrificial parry