Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
deciusmus

Default Enhanced Defenses vs. Combat Reflexes

Am I missing something, or is Enhanced Dodge not worth buying? Combat Reflexes gives Enhanced Dodge, plus a lot more, for the same cost. Is there some justification for the costs of Enhanced Defenses I'm not seeing? I guess the first +1 to active defenses is a lot less unbalancing than additional bonuses. Still, I'm trying to make a character who is real good at dodging, but explicitly doesn't have Combat Reflexes, and it seems a bit unfair to pay 15 points for +1 to Dodge, when I could be paying 15 points for +1 to dodge, parry, and block. Any thoughts?
deciusmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: Enhanced Defenses vs. Combat Reflexes

Your not missing anything as far as I know. Combat reflexes are flat out better than enhanced dodge. The only reason to buy enhanced dodge is if you already have combat reflexes, or some kind of limitaion on enhanced dodge to make it cheaper (and that limitation, for some reason, wouldn't be appropriate for combat reflexes).
Old 09-29-2004, 09:39 AM   #3
Eljay451

Quote:
Originally Posted by deciusmus
Am I missing something, or is Enhanced Dodge not worth buying?
High dodge is a huge advantage, in a combat-centric campaign.

Presumably, the character would already have Combat Reflexes.

You can't buy six levels of Combat Reflexes, whereas you may be allowed (with GM approval!) to buy six levels of Enhanced Dodge, on top of Combat Reflexes.

(Gaaaah! If I type "Enchanted Dodge" one more time, POW, ZOOM, TO THE MOON!)
Eljay451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:44 AM   #4
deciusmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism
Your not missing anything as far as I know. Combat reflexes are flat out better than enhanced dodge. The only reason to buy enhanced dodge is if you already have combat reflexes, or some kind of limitaion on enhanced dodge to make it cheaper (and that limitation, for some reason, wouldn't be appropriate for combat reflexes).
So, do you think a limitation to Enhanced Dodge: Cannot Buy Combat Reflexes -40% would be fair? (making Enhanced Dodge cost only 9 points)? I guess I wouldn't allow such a limitation on levels of Enhanced Dodge beyond the first, but it seems fair for a character who doesn't want to have combat-trained reflexes, but does want to have an advantage when dodging.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:28 AM   #5
Luther
Grim Reaper

I think it's a fair limitation. (40%-50%, 8-9 pts)

God of the Cult of Stat Normalization
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:04 PM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Combat Reflexes is considered realistic; anyone can have it and get +1 to all defenses. To go beyond that, you need to buy Enhanced Defenses. Think of it has a leveled advantage where the first level (Combat Reflexes) costs 15 points, but successive levels cost 30 points, and can be split up to affect just Block, just Dodge, or just Parry.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

By the way, what is the character concept? I can't think of a concept which requires enhanced dodge, but not combat reflexes?

Have you considered buying basic speed up a bit? That would increase your dodge.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
deciusmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism
By the way, what is the character concept? I can't think of a concept which requires enhanced dodge, but not combat reflexes?

Have you considered buying basic speed up a bit? That would increase your dodge.
This is for a unicorn character I'm putting together as an Ally for a PC. She strongly dislikes combat--and isn't the sort of being who would have particularly quick mental reflexes to combat, as it is something she tries to avoid. So I didn't want combat reflexes, because of the advantages to avoid surprise. But physically, she can move faster than you would expect for a quadruped.

After starting this thread, I had the same thought you did, however, and decided that buying up speed really fit the concept better than either Enhanced Dodge or Combat Reflexes.

(When she's complete, I'll post her on the Weekly Character Creation thread)
Old 10-07-2004, 10:48 AM   #9
trystero

Quote:
I can't think of a concept which requires enhanced dodge, but not combat reflexes...
Really? It doesn't seem much of a stretch to me to find a concept that includes improved dodging ability but doesn't entail bonuses to Block, Parry, Fast-Draw skill, Fright Checks, surprise initiative, or recovery from mental stun.

In my game, for example, elves get Enhanced Dodge 1 as a racial trait to represent increased flexibility (leaning away from or ducking under blows) rather than improved speed or reaction time. I didn't give them Combat Reflexes because I didn't think they needed all the non-Dodge benefits (and because I wanted to be able to distinguish combat-experienced elves from other elves).
Old 10-07-2004, 06:34 PM   #10
Drake DuKain

deciusmus, even though you may think your unicorn character is suffering due to his concept, he/she/it can later learn Combat Reflexes and get all of those benefits for only 15 points!

Cyril Bailey
The Greek Atomists and Epicurus (1928)
Drake DuKain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defense, dodge