Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Jeminai

Default Parrying for others

I have a character that went first in the round and chose an normal Attack maneuver. After my actions are completed I am attacked by an archer and my companion standing 1 hes away is attacked by another archer (on the same initiative).

The attack by the archer against me, misses, but the other archer is succesful against my companion. Can I parry for my companion (assuming I have a readied weapon with the appropriate reach)

If so, are there penalties?

What about blocking with a shield for someone else?

Can I use Deflect Missile (Blocking Spell) for my companion? What about other blocking spells? (assuming I have not used any blocking spells in this turn)

How would I do a classic cinematic shove to get my companion out of the way of an incoming missile?

What are the game mechanics for dodging in the way of an incoming missile heading for someone else?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Parrying for others

Sacrificial Parry is a Perk from Power Ups 2, that lets you parry for someone you're standing beside. Shield Wall Training is another perk (in PU2, and in Martial Arts) that lets you block for someone.

You can use a Block spell for someone else - but remember you take a range penalty equal to the yards between you and your companion.

Knocking someone else out of the way so you can take the bullet/arrow would be part of a Sacrificial Dodge (basic set 375), I think - that's definitely the classic "jump in the way of the missile" effort.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
The attack by the archer against me, misses, but the other archer is succesful against my companion. Can I parry for my companion (assuming I have a readied weapon with the appropriate reach)
By default you can only parry attacks against you. You need the Sacrificial parry perk (Powerups 2: perks/Maybe martial arts, i'm not sure) to parry attacks against other people

Also, you can only parry missile weapons if you have the parry missile weapons skill (check the description for the appropriate penalties), or if the attacker is within the range of your melee weapon (No penalties).

Quote:
If so, are there penalties?

What about blocking with a shield for someone else?
By default, you can only block attacks against you, you need shield wall training perk (Martial Arts/Powerups 2: perks) to block attacks against other people.
Quote:
Can I use Deflect Missile (Blocking Spell) for my companion? What about other blocking spells? (assuming I have not used any blocking spells in this turn)
In the spirit of the previous perks, I would allow you to purchase a perk to do this, specialized by blocking spell, and you would take range penalties to you ally, as if it was a regular spell. It might already exist in Magical Styles, IDNHMBWM
Quote:
How would I do a classic cinematic shove to get my companion out of the way of an incoming missile?

What are the game mechanics for dodging in the way of an incoming missile heading for someone else?
Those are sacrificial dodge. Check the basic set. They can be attempted by anyone.

EDIT: Ninjaed by Bruno, Dang
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
SuedodeuS

Getting in the way is a Sacrificial Dodge. Pushing someone out of the way either requires a Ready maneuver to do so (with a shove) or use of Sacrificial Dodge and Drop, which knocks both of you prone and risks you getting hit. The rules for Sacrificial Dodges are on B375, the rules for Sacrificial Dodge and Drop on B377. The classic cinema maneuver is more like the shover seeing an enemy take aim, then pushing the person out of the way; for dramatic effect, the shove is done just as the shooter is pulling the trigger (personally, if someone is Aiming and something happens with the target, I let them drop the Aim bonus for that round and shoot as though they took a Wait; in this case, the person getting shoved out of the way would allow for a desperation shot to try and hit).

Tags
dodge and drop, sacrificial dodge